Author Topic: New Apollo image resource  (Read 8634 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
New Apollo image resource
« on: September 24, 2015, 06:00:54 AM »
Every serious Apollo geek is familiar with Kipp Teague's Project Apollo Archive and the associated apollo Image Gallery.

Kipp has announced a new resource:

Many years have passed since the creation of the Apollo Image Gallery and the joint presentation of Apollo imagery there and in Eric Jones' Apollo Lunar Surface Journal.   Over the years I've received a number of requests for an improved presentation of the Gallery, and I've also received a number of questions about resolution and about image processing, including black level adjustments and more.

Today I've launched a new Flickr site for the hosting of unprocessed and original size (1800 dpi) scans which Joihnson Space Center made available in the early 2000's.   I have two full Hasselblad magazines in the gallery so far, and will continue to add scans on a regular basis until I have worked my way through all that I have available.

The Project Apollo Archive's Flickr albums page can be found here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/albums

Note that anyone, with or without a Flickr account, can view and download original size versions via the down-arrow link on the far right side of an individual photo page.  I also understand that there are third-party utilities for bulk-downloading but I don't have any experience with them.

Kipp Teague

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: New Apollo image resource
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 08:36:11 AM »
Allen, Percy and Sibral should look at this and then try to defend "all those pictures perfectly composed" without a viewfinder BS.

In have one question for anyone AS17-145-22145, what does anyone think the white blob in the lower right corner of the image is?  Part of an arm?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:42:38 AM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 08:55:04 AM »
Note that anyone, with or without a Flickr account, can view and download original size versions via the down-arrow link on the far right side of an individual photo page.

That's not true for me. I cannot download without either signing in or registering. And a furthermore I cannot even register because that requires a cellphone number and I don't have one. I use a landline, which is quite sufficient for my needs.

Here's what I get when I click on the down arrow at far right:

You found a photo to download!
Join Flickr to access billions of photos.
Have a Yahoo account? Sign in

There is nothing that allows me to go past that screen.

I'm astounded that anyone should expect everyone to have a cellphone.  Have they never heard of poor reception areas?  There are plenty of them in New Zealand. If they are so ignorant that they've never heard of such a thing, they should come to where I live and try using their cellphones.

So long story short, other than allowing me to view the photos, Flickr doesn't work at all for me, and that is bloody annoying.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:02:28 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 09:01:47 AM »

I'm astounded that anyone should expect everyone to have a cellphone.  Have they never heard of poor reception areas?  There are plenty of them in New Zealand. If they are so ignorant that they've never heard of such a thing, they should come to where I live and try using their cellphones.

So long story short, other than allowing me to view the photos, Flickr doesn't work at all for me, and that is bloody annoying.
I have poor reception and live in a major metropolitan area.  But I understand your situation.  It is rather like when I'm having issues with the internet service and CALL service then get a message to check problems with a web browser.  If I can't get on the net how am I supposed to use it?
As an aside we live in an era of net availability and usability, have you considered the problems IF the internet went down through some EMP?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »
Flickr is unfortunately one of zillions of fancy Javascript-laden websites that make it enormously harder to do the simple things, like bulk-download a whole bunch of images.

If anybody can get me a complete collection, or figure out how I might do the same without manually downloading every picture, I'd be happy to put them up on my own website in a way that will make bulk downloading by others very easy.

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »
Allen, Percy and Sibral should look at this and then try to defend "all those pictures perfectly composed" without a viewfinder BS.

In have one question for anyone AS17-145-22145, what does anyone think the white blob in the lower right corner of the image is?  Part of an arm?

{snark mode}
I think that's where the CIA or the NSA edited out the alien footprints, or the Big Mac wrapper that Jack found near the orange soil...
{/snark mode}

As an aside, have I been here long enough, or contributed enough yet to even go into "snark mode"?  ::)
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 03:16:30 AM »
I'm annoyed I had to sign up but it's worth it! The mibile/cell number is used to send a 4 digit confirmation code.

And so 'they' know who you are...

Stunning image quality!

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 06:42:07 AM »

{snark mode}
I think that's where the CIA or the NSA edited out the alien footprints, or the Big Mac wrapper that Jack found near the orange soil...
{/snark mode}

As an aside, have I been here long enough, or contributed enough yet to even go into "snark mode"?  ::)
Jack was delusional with most of his "expert" photo analyses.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 08:50:59 PM »
Jack Schmitt was delusional when he found the orange soil?
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 09:15:01 PM »
Jack Schmitt was delusional when he found the orange soil?
When you said
or the Big Mac wrapper that Jack found near the orange soil
I assumed you meant Jack White as he was one of the ones that had sightings of objects that were not what he thought they were
Eugene Cernan

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 12:21:27 AM »
My reference was to the orange soil that Schmitt found during 17, and obliquely to the ridiculous idea that a Big Mac wrapper could have been remotely close to the moon.

I do not know who Jack White is.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 03:39:58 AM »
Superb stuff.

But I have found Flickr to be a data hog on mobile browsing so I only use it on a fixed line broadband.

On a related note.

I was going to start a new thread but will leave this here. I expect people already know about this, NASA have also started a Flickr page. Been following it for some months now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasacommons/albums

Edit. Removed link, put two of the same in for some reason,