Author Topic: Were the Lunar Rovers faked?  (Read 280064 times)

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
Re: Were the Lunar Rovers faked?
« Reply #390 on: March 31, 2013, 12:18:22 PM »
So I should study matrixing and cementation to tell me that the lunar surface is, contrary to the visual evidence presented as the lunar surface, not a loose surface?

Yes. That is how actual science and engineering is done. You don't get to look at something and conclude its physical properties simply on the basis of a bit of film footage.

The sad thing is that most here will probably agree with you that the lunar regolith does not fit into the category of a loose surface, in spite of what they can see with their own eyes, namely the dirt moving freely and easily when disturbed, along with deep footprints etc.

And what of the stuff that is uncovered by the removal of loose surface material? how does the cohesive nature of the regolith change with depth? How does it react when compressed? When I go walking on a sandy beach I kick up a lot of sand. I do not have trouble walking on it, despite leaving deep footprints and kicking up loose surface material.

I am being very honest and very objective when I characterise the lunar surface as "loose",

Rubbish. You are being entirely subjective. it looks loose to you therefore you have decided that is the sole characteristic worth mentioning and using in your argument.

any numbers can be fudged but the visual evidence is very clear

I wondered when we'd get to the attempt to dismiss the entire area of quantitiative analysis in order to bolster your argument. Again, the exact oposite of actual science and engineering.

Using basic numbers available the lunar surface ends up about as slippery as ice.

Correction: using inappropriate numbers that have no bearing on the surface or vehicle design actually involved on the Moon. You don't just get to apply a set of numbers from something you googled up to the moon and expect a bunch of professional engineers to agree with you.

Let me restate that: professional engineers.

we must have faith

No, we must have the actual engineering data and understanding. This is NOT a matter of faith. This is a matter of actual engineering expertise. You have none, patently. Others here do, and have plenty of it.

The little boy in the story of the emperor has no clothes was completely wrong to state the obvious?

Don't try and pass yourself off as some lone voice of reason among a crowd of people deluded or deliberately avoiding the obvious. You have NO relevant understanding of the engineering required in design and construction of a lunar rover.

And we still await your explanation for what exactly is being seen in the film of the rover being operated. Clearly that vehicle CAN be sat on by one astronaut and driven around on a 'loose' surface.

So even when it is obvious for all to see that the moon has a loose surface everyone should just agree that, although we can see the dirt moving very freely with our own eyes, because the learnered  kings men have said it is not loose you should not believe what you see with your own eyes?

Whenh what you can see with your own eyes on some low res video is a decent substitute for a proper analysis of the characteristics of lunar regolith including cohesiveness, compaction, response to pressure etc. then we'll give you a call.

This is like pulling teeth, can one of you please agree that the surface of the moon, as presented in the apollo footage, is a loose surface.

No. I can agree that it has a loose top layer. What happens when the movement of the wheel shifts that lose material and it begins to get a grip with the stuff under it?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:23:44 PM by Jason Thompson »
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #391 on: March 31, 2013, 12:25:27 PM »
The sad thing is that most here will probably agree with you that the lunar regolith does not fit into the category of a loose surface, in spite of what they can see with their own eyes, namely the dirt moving freely and easily when disturbed, along with deep footprints etc.

Your own eyes?

You have demonstrated no "skill set" that would allow you to make such a determination...as you have been told numerous times.

I am being very honest and very objective when I characterise the lunar surface as "loose"...

How is what "you" think, relevant?...so you are "honestly" mistaken...so what?

...any numbers can be fudged but the visual evidence is very clear, the surface, as presented, is loose.

Ok...now we are getting somewhere. Since YOU brought it up, please show where the numbers have been changed in order to fake a Moon mission.

...and if you don't provide those numbers, post haste then it will only be further evidence that you're just "blowing smoke" at us.

It is impossible for me to independently test the coefficient of friction for lunar soil and the rover tires, but I can still clearly see that it is a loose surface, and a loose surface with 1/6g equals a very low CoF. Using basic numbers available the lunar surface ends up about as slippery as ice.

More unsupported claims...still no evidence for those claims...typical hoax believer "tactics".

...no matter how nonsensical this design is...

Perhaps to ignorant people...those who have studied Apollo understand why things were done the way they were done.

...we must have faith that they overcame both the loose surface and 1/6g to give us 4WDriving on the moon with traction that looks remarkably similar to a loose surface on earth.

No "faith" necessary...we have evidence that the landings happened. When will you be providing evidence that they did not??

The little boy in the story of the emperor has no clothes was completely wrong to state the obvious?

Once again...this is evidence of what exactly??

So even when it is obvious for all to see that the moon has a loose surface everyone should just agree that, although we can see the dirt moving very freely with our own eyes, because the learnered  kings men have said it is not loose you should not believe what you see with your own eyes?

This isn't evidence of anything except your own failings.

Will you stop "proclaiming" yourself correct, and start proving yourself correct??
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:27:40 PM by RAF »

Offline anywho

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #392 on: March 31, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »
I am just looking at a paper on the testing of the wheels now:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/PerfBoeingLRVWheelsRpt1.pdf

They simulated 57lbs of weight on the wheels, and for measuring drawbar pull the "two horizontal sensor bars have a maximum capacity of approximately 150lbs each", this would seem to be inadequate because a wheel with 57lbs weight the moon has to be able to move 342lbs.

Interestingly, they have a pull coefficient of approx 0.5 to 0.6 before slip becomes so bad it will immobilise the vehicle (1), now I read that as meaning with 57lbs weight the wheel can pull 85lbs to 92lbs before slip is too problematic, yet it has to pull 342lbs to move the rover.

Am I reading it wrong or does this test show that the lrv wheels could not possibly operate on the moon?

(1) fig. A12. graph entitled "comparisons of relations off pull coefficients to slip obtained by three different recording methods", it is the last graph, third page from the bottom.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #393 on: March 31, 2013, 01:08:52 PM »
The wonderful thing about math is that it doesn't rely on anyone's personal experience.  You plug in the right numbers to the right formula, and you get the right answer.  (Probably.  But if you don't, that is the fault of neither the numbers nor the formula!)  It is, as has been stated, the exact opposite of faith.  "Looks like" is pretty well meaningless in science, because the human eye is easily fooled, especially in situations--such as the Moon--out of our usual expectations. 

And I mean, heck, the eye is fooled all the time even by situations that we should be accustomed to; I can't tell you how many times around here people assume that the ground is solid and safe to walk across when in fact it's boggy.  You can tell get across it, probably, but it's slick and oozing.  But to the eye, it's fine!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #394 on: March 31, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »
Heh, I had an experience like that. Fell hip deep in murky 'water' that looked just like ground.
Fun times, especially when it's your only pair of pants you got with you.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #395 on: March 31, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »
Am I reading it wrong or does this test show that the lrv wheels could not possibly operate on the moon?

Seriously, which do you think is more likely?  Given that untold thousands of people have read it before you have.  Given that professional engineers have read it before you have and still believe that the LRV was performing as expected.  Given all the facts you've been ignoring thus far, what do you think the odds are that you're the one who is right and everyone else ever is wrong?

Add this to the list of "really simple questions you should answer now, please."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Donnie B.

• Earth
« Reply #396 on: March 31, 2013, 03:54:43 PM »
Anywho, what exactly is your claim here?

If you are trying to argue that the Apollo missions were faked -- that no one ever went to the Moon -- then you can't use the visual record as evidence of the lunar surface characteristics, "loose" or otherwise.

On the other hand, if you don't dispute that the lunar landings occurred, then that same visual record clearly shows that the LRV worked as claimed.

Suppose the visual evidence itself was faked somehow, either via then-nonexistent CGI or some physical means (an exact LRV lookalike operating in some earthly environment).  In either of those cases, you can't use the visual evidence to support any claims about the lunar surface.  If CGI, the surface could have been made to look any way they chose, so why would they have built in evidence that (you claim) suggests that the LRV was inoperable?  If physical, the LRV is operating in a real environment that you're claiming (based on that very evidence) that it can't.

So which of the above are you actually claiming, and how do you explain the fact that, either way, the evidence shows a functional LRV?

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #397 on: March 31, 2013, 04:30:42 PM »

Hmm, let's think which is more likely, shall we? Either a whole bunch of professional engineers over five decades have misread that report and assumed they could go ahead and build a rover using those wheels and have it work on the moon, or someone who has demonstrated no grasp of the mathematics, physics or engineering princicples beyond high school level has misunderstood it. It's a toughie...

Anywho, for the umpteenth time, if it was all faked what is going on in the film of the rover working?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #398 on: March 31, 2013, 05:26:09 PM »
Heh, I had an experience like that. Fell hip deep in murky 'water' that looked just like ground.

I came out of the plane once on a beautiful sunny day in Virginia, aimed for the lush green grass near the edge of the airfield...and realized an instant before I hit that there was an inch of standing water and thick soft mud under that grass.  Being muddy myself wasn't so bad, but I made a really, really lousy PLF trying to twist and keep the 1911 I was carrying that day from going into the mud with me.

Not that this has anything to do with the Moon...

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #399 on: March 31, 2013, 05:50:43 PM »
To reiterate what Donnie B said:

According to you Anywho, they faked going to the Moon which would mean that any videos or images of the rover driving could not have been taken on the Moon.

But you use the same videos and images to show how loose and slippery the lunar surface is.

Do you not see a problem there? Please directly address this in your next post.
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #400 on: March 31, 2013, 05:57:10 PM »

No, he wasn't wrong, but then it doesn't take any kind of expertise as a tailor to see that the King was naked, and besides, unlike engineers, physicists and scientists who earned their qualifications, the king became king by inheriting the title, not by spending many years competing a university degree in Clothesmaking.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #401 on: March 31, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #402 on: March 31, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »
Perhaps anywho, you are incorrectly thinking that the lunar dust is as described in Arthur C. Clarke's famous SF book "A Fall of Moondust"...."an extremely fine dust, a fine powder far drier than the contents of a terrestrial desert and which almost flows like water" and you cannot see how the wheels of a vehicle can possibly grip this surface.

Well its not like that. Lunar soil becomes very dense beneath the top layer of regolith, in much the same way that sand on a dry beach becomes compacted below the top surface though the action of water and tides. Its why I can drive my 4WD quad bike on a totally dry stretch of my  local beach without any difficulty at all.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #403 on: March 31, 2013, 06:54:27 PM »
I am just looking at a paper on the testing of the wheels now:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/PerfBoeingLRVWheelsRpt1.pdf

They simulated 57lbs of weight on the wheels, and for measuring drawbar pull the "two horizontal sensor bars have a maximum capacity of approximately 150lbs each", this would seem to be inadequate because a wheel with 57lbs weight the moon has to be able to move 342lbs.

Well, it's no secret that physics is not my strong subject, and that report is so far over my head it threatened to give me a nosebleed, but even I can spot the flaw in that statement. 57 lbs represents the weight on each wheel on the moon. The LRV wasn't designed to operate in the Earth environment; there would be no reason to test the wheels with the earth weight of the loaded rover.

I came out of the plane once on a beautiful sunny day in Virginia, aimed for the lush green grass near the edge of the airfield...and realized an instant before I hit that there was an inch of standing water and thick soft mud under that grass.  Being muddy myself wasn't so bad, but I made a really, really lousy PLF trying to twist and keep the 1911 I was carrying that day from going into the mud with me.

Not that this has anything to do with the Moon...
"Hey, Gene, would you go over and help Twinkletoes, please?”  comes to mind.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #404 on: March 31, 2013, 10:30:29 PM »
Anywho, what exactly is your claim here?

If you are trying to argue that the Apollo missions were faked -- that no one ever went to the Moon -- then you can't use the visual record as evidence of the lunar surface characteristics, "loose" or otherwise.

On the other hand, if you don't dispute that the lunar landings occurred, then that same visual record clearly shows that the LRV worked as claimed.

Suppose the visual evidence itself was faked somehow, either via then-nonexistent CGI or some physical means (an exact LRV lookalike operating in some earthly environment).  In either of those cases, you can't use the visual evidence to support any claims about the lunar surface.  If CGI, the surface could have been made to look any way they chose, so why would they have built in evidence that (you claim) suggests that the LRV was inoperable?  If physical, the LRV is operating in a real environment that you're claiming (based on that very evidence) that it can't.

So which of the above are you actually claiming, and how do you explain the fact that, either way, the evidence shows a functional LRV?

I guess we left behind the HBs contradiction thread.  But by Anywho claiming the rovers were fake while citing the footage of them in operation on the moon as evidence to support the soil characteristics of the moon certainly qualifies for an entry. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett