Author Topic: Were the Lunar Rovers faked?  (Read 280050 times)

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
Re: Were the Lunar Rovers faked?
« Reply #510 on: April 04, 2013, 03:12:23 PM »
Funny how Anywho has focused on Jason...
What's your problem? You did as well! LOL

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #511 on: April 04, 2013, 03:21:18 PM »
Back to the topic at hand, I await Anywho's explanation for the contradiction in his claims. Where exactly was the LRV footage filmed, if not on the moon?

Either it was filmed on Earth, and the LRV was able to perform under Earth gravity, or...
It was faked on the Moon somehow under 1/6 gravity, or...
Something else.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #512 on: April 04, 2013, 03:34:52 PM »
What's your problem? You did as well! LOL

I think she's allowed to. In fact I'd be disappointed if she didn't...
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #513 on: April 04, 2013, 03:37:01 PM »
Anywho, take a look at these pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractive_force

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-10-10-2

Pay particular attention to the specs of the locomotive and the difference between its weight and its tractive effort. The other page gives its starting tractive effort, which is also significantly less than its own weight. And yet, somehow, that thing moves....
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #514 on: April 04, 2013, 04:02:34 PM »

Especially because it's usually Jay.  Maybe we should get Jason to ask our questions for us.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #515 on: April 04, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »
Um, guys? What's a pull coefficient? What is drawbar pull?

I read looked at the report being discussed and was totally lost. Just too many variables and unfamiliar terms to remember, and I couldn't get a picture in my head of how the test was being done.

Lil help?  :-[
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #516 on: April 04, 2013, 04:09:59 PM »

Did you hear the one about the Irish Zamboni driver?

He wanted to take the Zamboni on a hill-climb, but he abandoned the idea when he couldn't find an Ice Hockey rink on a hillside.

^^Nice line in racism. What's for your encore? Pointing out that women are weaker than men? That all Muslims are terrorists?

An apology for making out that a nation's people are stupid and backward just because they happened to be born in a certain geography would be welcome. Especially as The Learning Curve report places the Irish education system ahead of Denmark, Australia, Poland, Germany, Belgium and the US (amongst others).
http://thelearningcurve.pearson.com/the-report

OK, I'll apologise to myself then?

No! Wait! That would be only a half apology, since I'm only half-Irish (mother's side, Kerry born and bred!!)

Sometimes a joke is just a joke.

(PM on the way)

And you've got one back.

My last post on this as I do not want to create a thread drift.
You might find "jokes" about race funny or humorous. It might even be acceptable in certain backwaters of the world. But it's not acceptable everywhere, and it has no place in a thread about Apollo (read the Forum Rules if you need clarification).
I'm pretty sure that there are places in the Deep South that find "jokes" based on race hilarious. But I'm sure if you starting posting them then there might be a justified backlash.

Over and out.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #517 on: April 04, 2013, 04:39:26 PM »
Back to the topic at hand, I await Anywho's explanation for the contradiction in his claims. Where exactly was the LRV footage filmed, if not on the moon?

Either it was filmed on Earth, and the LRV was able to perform under Earth gravity, or...
Something else.

I suppose that one could try to argue that:

1. The hoaxers deliberately described the LRV as frail, because they wanted to provide evidence of how they were engineering for low gravity.

2. They then build a much more rugged LRV, and filmed it in Earth gravity, because the original would not work on Earth.

3. They published the tests that anywho claims prove it could not work on the Moon, because ... um, because they're just stupid?

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #518 on: April 04, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »

1. The hoaxers deliberately described the LRV as frail, because they wanted to provide evidence of how they were engineering for low gravity.

2. They then build a much more rugged LRV, and filmed it in Earth gravity, because the original would not work on Earth.

3. They published the tests that anywho claims prove it could not work on the Moon, because ... um, because they're just stupid?

4. In 40+ years, no engineers anywhere in the world have ever cottoned onto this stupidity, proves that all engineers everywhere in the the world are just NASA shills.

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #519 on: April 04, 2013, 05:15:34 PM »

Better him than me.  ;D
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #520 on: April 04, 2013, 05:24:22 PM »

Better him than me.  ;D
Quitter.  ;D

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #521 on: April 04, 2013, 05:46:06 PM »

Better him than me.  ;D
Quitter.  ;D

Careful, you could be characterising engineers as "quitters".  ::)

Frankly. I think anywho probably knows who Jay is (by reputation) and probably understands that he will be even more over his head if he were to take him on. "Bringing a knife to a gunfight" springs to mind.

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #522 on: April 04, 2013, 06:03:46 PM »
Another example for Anywho:

Hmm, does water count as a "loose surface"?!  ;)
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #523 on: April 04, 2013, 06:10:46 PM »

Something else.

I've been thinking for a while that anywho would present this as an explanation. I'm surprised he hasn't yet. Of course, it still means that he can't use the characteristics of the Lunar surface in the video as an argument.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #524 on: April 04, 2013, 06:21:01 PM »
The fact is that an object of 100 kg mass, weighs 100 kg on the Earth because it is in a 1G field

W = mg  ... 100 x 1 = 100

and in the lunar gravity its weight is 16.7 kg

W = mg ... 100 x 0.167 = 16.7 (disregarding mascons of course!!)
I think it's reasonable to say that a bathroom scale measures mass in kilograms as long as one remembers how it works and the limitations of that method: by measuring the force of gravity and converting that to kilograms, implicitly assuming an acceleration of 9.8... m/s^2. I.e., it's a mass-measuring device with a mechanism of operation that works fine on earth as long as the minor variations in gravity from place to place are below your accuracy requirements, as they usually are. Any precise mass-measuring instrument of this type would have to be calibrated for local gravity to give correct results.

So I think it's simply wrong (as well as extremely confusing and error-prone) to say that an object that's 100 kg on earth becomes only 16.7 kg on the moon. It's still 100 kg on the moon, as it would be measured by a scale properly calibrated to the local gravity. It's just 6 times easier to pick up.

Suppose the bathroom-type scale had never been invented. Suppose we still measured things with the balance scale, matching the pull of gravity on our test mass with that on a set of calibrated masses. Then, without any changes, an object weighing 100 kg on earth would still weigh 100 kg on the moon, or anywhere that had a non-negligible gravity field. So would a bathroom-type scale with a built-in accelerometer to compensate for local gravity variations. I.e., the notion of the kilogram as a unit of gravity force depends not only on a specific local gravity field, but on the use of a specific type of device to measure it. That's silly.

SI carefully distinguishes between mass and force, something largely unknown to those who measure all forces and masses in pounds. It's a bit like the notion of grammatical gender in many non-English languages, only it actually makes very real sense. Just as English speakers can't impose their rules on other peoples' languages, they should not introduce their confusion between mass and force into other measurement systems.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:36:38 PM by ka9q »