Author Topic: A FAIR DEBATE  (Read 93639 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: A FAIR DEBATE
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »
- to complain about being called a seagull and then spend the next few days acting like a seagull

Indeed.  This "debate" has generated four pages of discussion without the input of its instigator.  Clearly not interested in a serious debate.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »
But at least the rest of us are learning...

Offline pzkpfw

• Venus
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2012, 08:42:05 PM »
The most interesting thing (to me) is trying to "limit" the debate* by saying "only Apollo 11" and then a) flinging a whole bunch of claims at the wall and b) making half those claims not particularly specific to Apollo 11.

(* which in itself is not a bad idea if it's about focussing on some aspect so it can dealt with properly)

Offline slang

• Venus
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2012, 01:12:54 AM »
Yeah, clear, consistent, and effective writing is something one learns at school/university/(whatever it's called in your country). But who needs education, eh?

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2012, 01:45:16 AM »
Clear, consistent, and effective writing was something I learned in high school.  But of course, that was mostly after ninth grade!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Re: A FAIR DEBATE
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2012, 01:54:07 AM »
The most interesting thing (to me) is trying to "limit" the debate* by saying "only Apollo 11" and then a) flinging a whole bunch of claims at the wall and b) making half those claims not particularly specific to Apollo 11.

(* which in itself is not a bad idea if it's about focussing on some aspect so it can dealt with properly)

It was informative that request because it revealed a lack of understanding of the fundamentals.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2012, 02:37:52 AM »
Yeah, clear, consistent, and effective writing is something one learns at school/university/(whatever it's called in your country). But who needs education, eh?

Not sure to which country you are referring, but if it is the one I have in mind (and which I was very glad to leave a few years back), then learning about writing and many other things does occur, sometimes at very high levels, in the schools and universities.  However, it is strictly optional.  University graduates who can barely read and write are quite common.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline Rob260259

• Earth
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »

Yep. I'll have to 'thank' DakDak for his few comments. Many of them resulted in overwhelming answers and explanation on a myriad of things. I guess it's a bit like the hoax theory on YT; it made me look deeper and deeper into Apollo and the massive amount of scientific data, documents, pictures, film and engineering.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2012, 12:55:47 PM »

Yep. I'll have to 'thank' DakDak for his few comments. Many of them resulted in overwhelming answers and explanation on a myriad of things. I guess it's a bit like the hoax theory on YT; it made me look deeper and deeper into Apollo and the massive amount of scientific data, documents, pictures, film and engineering.

And also to Lunar Orbit for allowing us to use the seagulling as the spark for greater debate.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2012, 01:05:34 PM »
The most interesting thing (to me) is trying to "limit" the debate* [...]
* which in itself is not a bad idea if it's about focussing on some aspect so it can dealt with properly.

I agree here.  When I first started reading his proposal, it sounded like a good-faith effort to debate.  I completely agree with focusing on one topic until a concession or impasse is reached, then (and only then) moving on to a new topic.

But no, I don't agree with trying to limit it to a specific mission.  That serves only to artificially limit the domain of information that can be brought to the debate, which makes it not a fair debate.  A claim fails if valid information exists anywhere to refute it.  Saying that exculpatory information can only come from some arbitrary domain in order to be valid is just a thinly-veiled attempt at muzzling your critics.  Shame!
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2012, 04:45:42 PM »
And also extremely common among the Apollo Deniers (if rarely presented so nakedly.)

"Why are you talking about the ISS?  I asked why the astronauts didn't burn up from the temps on the Moon."

"What do Harrier jump jets have to do with the lack of a crater left by the LEM (sic)?"

*  Not real quotes.

Offline slang

• Venus
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2012, 05:30:03 PM »
Not sure to which country you are referring,

It was a general your, referring to the reader.

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »
I don't know what a Seagull Poster is...

A "seagull" poster is one who posts "crap", then fails to respond to any criticism

...but I don't believe that I am one.

Well, you obviously ARE, since you haven't bothered to respond to ANY criticism in this thread in the last 5 days.

If you don't want to be "labled" a seagull, then stop behaving like one.

Offline DAKDAK

• Venus
  • BANNED
R
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2012, 11:22:02 PM »
T
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:42:02 AM by DAKDAK »

Offline Laurel

• Earth
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2012, 11:25:49 PM »
You only need to click on Quote when you're quoting someone else's post in your reply.
"Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars, and I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car..."
Bruce Springsteen