Author Topic: Radiation doses for Apollo crews  (Read 6834 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Radiation doses for Apollo crews
« on: March 26, 2014, 04:04:53 AM »
The bogeyman of radiation gets brought up by hoax-believers at times, and today I discovered that the average radiation skin doses in Rads are listed on page 305 of Apollo By the Numbers, "Entry, Splashdown and Recovery."
http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4029/Apollo_18-40_Entry_Splashdown_and_Recovery.htm

See the final line of "Earth Entry."  The figures are:

Mission ---- Rads
Apollo 7 --- 0.16
Apollo 8 --- 0.16
Apollo 9 --- 0.20
Apollo 10 -- 0.48
Apollo 11 -- 0.18
Apollo 12 -- 0.58
Apollo 13 -- 0.24
Apollo 14 -- 1.14
Apollo 15 -- 0.30
Apollo 16 -- 0.51
Apollo 17 -- 0.55

The source is quoted as Space Physiology & Medicine, SP-447, so it might have more details.

Apparently space for the Apollo crews wasn't quite the "searing radiation hell" that some HBs think it is.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:12:36 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
Re: Radiation doses for Apollo crews
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 01:08:37 PM »
The same data is in an Apollo Experience Report: NASA Tech Note TND-7080 - Protection from Radiation

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/tnD7080RadProtect.html

HBs treat it the same as any other data that contradicts their delusions - it's lies or fakery.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 02:18:03 PM »
Yeah but radiation can make bits fall off you, turn water green and encourages lizards with bad breath to wreck cities. Stands to reason.

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 02:27:16 PM »
I'm not even going to remotely claim to understand this report, but I've been told that even the Russians ended up proving radiation wasn't the big concern that HBs always regurgitate. It does conclude that absent a major solar flare, seven day flights are perfectly safe. I've never come across a hoax claimant with space radiation knowledge, all of them just quote modern day articles related to longer voyages.

http://cds.cern.ch/record/864491/files/p484.pdf

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »
Because the Russians are also liars of course. Or they claim those results aren't meant to be about people, ignoring that Zond 4-8 were unmanned test versions of a Soyuz equivalent to the Apollo 8 CSM, and also ignoring that the reason claimed for the hoax was to one up the Soviets.
Why would the Russians lie to protect a secret meant to fool them, or at least make them look bad.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »
Wheat.  We bribed them with wheat.  You know, like years after Apollo.  It's been enough to keep 'em quiet ever since.  You hadn't heard that one?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »
Wheat.  We bribed them with wheat.  You know, like years after Apollo.  It's been enough to keep 'em quiet ever since.  You hadn't heard that one?

Yes, it is the well known hoax edict #231.g sub-clause 7.1.a section IV para. 4.1.1 'The communists can't be trusted about their moon samples and space program, but they could be trusted enough to keep a secret about their rival super power for wheat.'
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
USSR wheat production tended to yoyo a lot, but during the 8th Five Year Plan (1966-1970) they were doing better then ever, doubling their exports.
It was in the early to mid 70s they had problems.

So the Soviets must have had precogs or a time machine for that to make sense.
Which brings up the question, why did they lose the Cold War?
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »
USSR wheat production tended to yoyo a lot, but during the 8th Five Year Plan (1966-1970) they were doing better then ever, doubling their exports.
It was in the early to mid 70s they had problems.

So the Soviets must have had precogs or a time machine for that to make sense.
Which brings up the question, why did they lose the Cold War?
But of course! That was their cunning plan all along! ::)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:51:07 PM by raven »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 11:26:49 PM »
Duh--the Cold War was faked.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 08:19:15 AM »
If somebody uses the "wheat" argument, I would recommend they work out how many billions Russia could have saved by not blowing up a few of their heavy launch vehicles. Unless Russia faked the value of the rockets so that they could put themselves in a position to require USA wheat to enable them to keep the multiple hoaxed landings all quiet. I'll get me coat :)