Author Topic: Proof Apollo was hoaxed redux  (Read 29001 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Proof Apollo was hoaxed redux
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 01:18:21 PM »
Actually, Kool-Aid comes in a wide variety of colours not found in nature, but the Kool-Aid Man is a giant pitcher of the red stuff who bursts through walls shouting, "Oh, yeah!"  The stuff itself is sold in powder form, either in small paper packets of unsweetened (add your own sugar) or large plastic tubs of sweetened.  Add water, and you have a punch-like beverage.

Most notably, the People's Temple, led by Jim Jones, is known to have consumed its lower-cost rip-off, Flavor-Ade (grape, I believe), laced with as I recall cyanide.  This was part of their mass suicide.  It's worth noting, however, that a lot of people were pretty well forced at gunpoint to take it; they weren't as placid as the metaphor suggests.  A fair number apparently didn't believe the stuff was poisoned until after they'd drunk it, too.  I read a book that included survivor testimony.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 02:13:11 AM »
Oh eck. Not much to say to that. How awful.

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 09:28:46 AM »
We need to start a "What do we want aliens to REALLY give us" thread.

My nomination: portable holes.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 01:20:13 PM »

I think it's very human to make a metaphor out of tragedy the way we have; "drinking the Kool-Aid" is an evocative image, even if it's the wrong beverage mix.  You'd think the people at Kool-Aid would be angrier, but I bet they know there's nothing they can do.  Kool-Aid is better known (in the US, at least) and frankly more mellifluous.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
We need to start a "What do we want aliens to REALLY give us" thread.

My nomination: portable holes.

Nah. They have been around since the late 1940's!!!

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 02:22:13 PM »

I think it's very human to make a metaphor out of tragedy the way we have; "drinking the Kool-Aid" is an evocative image, even if it's the wrong beverage mix.  You'd think the people at Kool-Aid would be angrier, but I bet they know there's nothing they can do.  Kool-Aid is better known (in the US, at least) and frankly more mellifluous.

Oh, mine was more a comment on the people forced to drink rather than the gallows humour. I know we abuse words and situations after the events and innocuous words are also used. Brown bread for example, short for dead in a roundabout way. Or doing a Lucan (Lord Lucan, google him).

As for getting brand names up the spout, in the UK, hoover is a thing that sucks the dirt up no matter the manufacturer, as we know Hoover is a brand name but it has stuck. Though asking our hosts in Germany once for the "hoover" we were greater with confusion. After a bit of charades, "Ah! aaageee!". Or AEG, being the dominate brand I suppose.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 03:55:15 PM »
Oh, mine was more a comment on the people forced to drink rather than the gallows humour.

Yeah, reading that book was seriously disheartening.  It was actually better when I thought they were all brainwashed, I think, though there was a certain amount of brainwashing involved.  They'd agreed to move down from San Francisco to Guyana in the first place.  But yeah, ouch.

Offline Daggerstab

• Earth
    • Badly Honed Bytes (my blog)
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
As for getting brand names up the spout, in the UK, hoover is a thing that sucks the dirt up no matter the manufacturer, as we know Hoover is a brand name but it has stuck. Though asking our hosts in Germany once for the "hoover" we were greater with confusion. After a bit of charades, "Ah! aaageee!". Or AEG, being the dominate brand I suppose.

After three years of Deutsch in high school I find this story really unlikely, and de.Wikipedia seems to agree:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staubsauger (lit. "dust sucker")
It's possible that the hosts shortened it to "Sauger", which sounds a bit like "aaaageee", especially if they don't roll the final r.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 04:11:43 PM »
Well, it was in 1992 but it was as I say. Our German ran as far as ordering food and beer and their English was better but the the gist we had the understanding at the time as per what I said above.

Anyway. What do we want aliens to give us, silent aageehoversuckeruperers

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 08:44:36 AM »
So you have Hoovers in the UK too? I thought the Vax was the big vacuum cleaner brand.

Of course anybody in the computer field in the late 1970s through the 1980s knows that Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) had a popular line of minicomputers called the VAX-11. Somebody found a UK advert for a Vax vacuum cleaner with the slogan "Nothing sucks like a Vax!" and the rest was history.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 01:08:36 PM »
So you have Hoovers in the UK too? I thought the Vax was the big vacuum cleaner brand.

It was Hoover, but it is now Dyson.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline cos

• Venus
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »
Pedant mode;

The slogan was for Electrolux

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolux#Slogan

Though some may agree that VAXs sucked too (a bit harsh).

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 04:21:10 PM »
It can get a bit brandish. I still "I'll hoover up" yet use another brand. Not sure if it something that will last long.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »
A few years ago in NZ, a "vaguely racist" advert ran on TV for a Toshiba Vacuum Cleaner. It featured an obviously Japanese gentleman, dressed in a lab coat, speaking broken English with an obviously Japanese accent, extolling the virtues of the product. The advertisement finished with the catch-phrase....

"Toshiba! It have very sucky motor" (literal wording)

The phrase caught on, and "very sucky motor" became a meme for expressions of power for any machine or piece of equipment with a motor, not just vacuum cleaners. I've even heard someone refer to everything from power drills to jet airliners as having "very sucky motors"
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:12:01 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2014, 09:22:31 PM »
It can get a bit brandish. I still "I'll hoover up" yet use another brand. Not sure if it something that will last long.
Plenty of examples where the trademark becomes the term for the generic act or product, though trademark holders hate this. Thermos, instead of vacuum flask, Kleenex, instead of disposable handkerchief, Aspirin, instead of acetylsalicylic acid, Band-aids instead of adhesive bandage. Googling and to Google instead of using an online search engine, etcetera, etcetera. Some of these have entered common speech to the degree that they can no longer be trademarked at all, and the companies fight tooth and nail for the rest.