Author Topic: Earth going between command module windows?  (Read 15767 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Earth going between command module windows?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 03:28:27 PM »
Yeah man they went to every last detail with the earth in this hoax even right up to having accurate transparencies with the right weather patterns down to the last details...except for putting stars in the pictures of the sky they took on the moon stage for the EVA footage....they effed up on that one. ;)
Or dig a crater under the LM for that matter.

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »
they went to every last detail with the earth in this hoax even right up to having accurate transparencies with the right weather patterns down to the last details

Yes, and they even went so far as to accurately predict how skeptical 14-year olds in the 21st century would be able to sit down in front of something called a "desktop computer", and instantly access the corresponding satellite images.

NASA's ability to be simultaneously inept and all-powerful still astounds me.

Offline astronaut23

• Mercury
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 04:23:35 PM »
Heck they even landed the flags, lunar surface experiments, and the descent stages on the moon at some point unmanned in anticipation of LRO taking pictures of these items some 40 years later.   How are they so good at predicting future events 40 years into the future?   Not to mention where you can see the soil is disturbed at the landing sites to make it look like astronauts were there walking around on it or driving  the rovers on it.   I'm not sure how they faked that one.   Maybe they had some robots walking around to make the tracks.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:26:20 PM by astronaut23 »

Offline armillary

• Mercury
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 01:55:16 AM »
The robots are still there. Or did you really think those were descent stages you're looking at?

(or maybe I watched Transformers lately and need a more thorough brain-scrub)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 02:17:18 AM »
I believe our excitable friend Jarrah W. explains this shot by way of some as-yet-undiscovered studio "globe". 

So we have one CT proposing a studio production using a mystery globe, another proposing a transparency taped to the viewport, and yet another proposing earth from low orbit, using the window as a cropping device.

What a perfect crystallization of their mode of operation.  The best and only strategy the hoaxters have is to shoot arrows in the dark and hope one hits something.

One need only look at the state of the art special effects in the original series of Star Trek to realise that Apollo could not possibly been faked. ST looked pretty good at the time (late 1960's) but it does not stand up under close scrutiny now.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline beedarko

• Earth
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 02:36:02 AM »
One need only look at the state of the art special effects in the original series of Star Trek to realise that Apollo could not possibly been faked. ST looked pretty good at the time (late 1960's) but it does not stand up under close scrutiny now.

I dunno, I still think that giant cornucopia monster thing looks pretty authentic, with the sparks shooting out of its mouth.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 03:14:45 AM »
I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is a better example of 60's special effects, and even it got things wrong plenty of times. Even now, TV effects lag behind what is possible in movies.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »

I dunno, I still think that giant cornucopia monster thing looks pretty authentic, with the sparks shooting out of its mouth.

Well, to a youngster with age in the single digits, it was pretty darn terrifying!  ;)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »
I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is a better example of 60's special effects, and even it got things wrong plenty of times.

Often deliberately.  The moving starfield behind Discovery was known to be scientifically incorrect, for example, but was shown for cinematic reasons to convey the impression of motion.  This philosophy is still in force.  Where an object is meant to be moving, it has to be depicted as moving relative to the background or something else.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 06:18:53 PM »
Wait a minute. You're telling me Star Trek isn't real???
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 06:52:31 PM »
I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is a better example of 60's special effects, and even it got things wrong plenty of times.

Often deliberately.  The moving starfield behind Discovery was known to be scientifically incorrect, for example, but was shown for cinematic reasons to convey the impression of motion.  This philosophy is still in force.  Where an object is meant to be moving, it has to be depicted as moving relative to the background or something else.
Certainly. Often something can look, sound and feel 'wrong', even when it's factually more accurate than the wrong version. On the other hand, some of the errors were just plain errors.

Offline Halcyon Dayz, FCD

• Earth
  • Contrarian's Contrarian
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 12:45:44 PM »
Well, to a youngster with age in the single digits, it was pretty darn terrifying!  ;)
I remember a scene, I don't recall which episode, of a female crewmember dying.
She changed colour in a most eerie fashion while making a creepy sound.
That one actually gave me nightmares as a kid.

Certainly. Often something can look, sound and feel 'wrong', even when it's factually more accurate than the wrong version. On the other hand, some of the errors were just plain errors.
Reality Is Unrealistic.

(TV Tropes link, so browser narcotic warning.)
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 01:59:03 AM »
I remember a scene, I don't recall which episode, of a female crewmember dying.
She changed colour in a most eerie fashion while making a creepy sound.
That one actually gave me nightmares as a kid.
The Lights of Zetar. And yeah, that was pretty creepy as a kid.

And then there were my mom's (not a fan) frequent disparaging comments. Example: in That Which Survives, Sulu is nearly killed by Lee Meriwether's touch. And all he can think of saying is "And she was so beautiful". "Aren't they all?" says my mom...

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 03:03:03 AM »
And it turns out she wasn't even his type!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 05:25:58 AM »
And it turns out she wasn't even his type!
To be fair, we didn't know that until several decades later...