Off Topic > General Discussion

What has happened to GLP?

(1/6) > >>

johnbutcher:
I used to read a lot of their stuff. But, over the last 2 years or so, they appear to have turned into a hate site. The racism and bigotry they spew has turned me off. I check it every day now but can't read most of the threads. What happened?

Sloop

smartcooky:
GLP is an incredible place. It must almost be the greatest collection of stupid on the interwebz.

As I said earlier, in another thread...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

gillianren:
Honestly, I think it's inevitable that conspiracism leads to other kinds of us-versus-them thinking.

nomuse:
It's...odd.

Science-based thinkers seem to have moved into positions of established personalities, long-term registered users, and friends of the site owners. Apollo hoax threads there look more and more like the same threads at the BAUT (but without the ban hammer).

At the same time, the religious wars are stronger and stronger, as well as a whole bunch of racial stuff -- mostly concentrated in "secret jewish world rulers" and "african americans are animals" (including a weird sub-thread about alien DNA being part of what makes real -- aka european -- humans).

Which means the more interestingly off-the-wall conspiracies are getting lost in the noise. But it still is an intriguing site due to the international flavor. There are a significant number of (usually anonymous) posters who aren't from the english-speaking parts of the world, and it is refreshing to see that kind of global conversation. Even if it does look mostly like a bar brawl.

johnbutcher:
A bar brawl.
I guess then I stick my head in and if the brawl is still going on I go elsewhere. It just seems to be a permanent brawl now.
Though I like Dr.Astros threads, usually.

Sloop

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version