Author Topic: Apollo 11 Lunar Lander Pre-Launch  (Read 125136 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: Apollo 11 Lunar Lander Pre-Launch
« Reply #255 on: December 19, 2018, 07:45:26 AM »
Hi Alan F

Don't say I don't help you guys. Here is some bedtime reading for you. I have a lot more places to get docs. Happy Reading.

https://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/Documents/

Cheers, Big Ears!

I followed the link and picked out a document partly at random (because it was small and would therefore load faster): https://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/Documents/19720017950.pdf

It amused me no end that it was titled "The Application of a Computerized Visualization Capability to Lunar Missions". 'So what?' you might ask.

Well, it was a report about the "...development of a computerized capability to depict views from the Apollo spacecraft during a lunar mission..." In other words, it was a program which allowed people to work out what the astronauts would see when they looked out various windows at various points in a mission. To this end, window frames were drawn on the images.

One use of this program was to help the LM astronauts familiarise themselves with what they'd see during their descent to the surface, looking through the LM's windows...you know, the windows JR Knowing thinks were dangerously small.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #256 on: December 19, 2018, 07:55:23 AM »
Wheels in different directions (All four LRV wheels were independently steered)

All four independently powered, yes.  Steering was pairwise, front and back.  Front and rear pairs could be independently enabled, though.

Can I just check something about the steering, though.

My understanding is that on ordinary cars here on Earth, when you turn the steering wheel, the front wheels turn by a slightly different amount given that the wheel on the inside of the turn has a slightly smaller radius to traverse. Is that so?

Was this the case with the lunar rover? After all, I understand the rover had a tighter turning circle than cars here on Earth, so the effect described above would be more pronounced.

Given that the rover in the photo JR Knowing linked seems to have stopped while turning, that would suggest to me that the rear wheels would logically not be parallel, but out of parallel by perhaps 10-20 degrees.

Yes.

Ackerman steering geometry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_steering_geometry

So, JR Knowing, do you accept there's nothing untoward about the two rear wheels of the rover pointing in slightly different directions when the vehicle has stopped mid-curve?

And, incidentally, do you accept there's nothing untoward about the idea of an astronaut walking over the tracks the rover has produced?

And, incidentally, do you accept there's nothing untoward about the idea that the apparent sizes of the two rear wheels would be affected by the type of lens on the camera?

And, incidentally, do you accept there's nothing untoward about the idea that the wheel of a low weight vehicle might rest against the side of a small piece of uneven ground rather than the ground directly underneath the wheel?

And, incidentally, do you accept there's nothing untoward about the idea that the astronaut taking a photo of the vehicle might be standing on lower ground than the vehicle is itself sitting on?

And, incidentally, do you accept that antenna on the rover is indeed in the shape of an octahedron (otherwise known as a D&D d8)?
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline jr Knowing

• Earth
« Reply #257 on: December 19, 2018, 12:05:52 PM »
Hi Jay,

Believe it or not, I just realized who you are and your background. That now helps explain why you and others are so suspicious and paranoid. Call me naïve, I did not know I was walking into a hornets nest. I didn't walk in here to stir things up. Literally, one of my buddies who is really into space travel (I mentioned before), suggested I checkout this website to bounce some of my ideas off. Believe me I am not here to get a rise out of jerking you guys around. I have to respect your dogged persistence over the years defending your position. It does take a lot of patience dealing with people like myself.

Now I am sure you are going to say you are not defending your position but defending the facts as you continually tend to point out. Fair enough. But you have to realize, from an Apollo supporter standpoint, it is very hard defending something with facts that has a dearth of supporting evidence. And that is the problem with the Apollo project. And I have seen that with Apollo supporters and I see that in your answers. For instance, it is one thing to say the nozzle on the RCS will not get rip off on takeoff because the air flow, while turbulent, will not be powerful enough to do damage. Sounds reasonable enough but you offer no supporting evidence. If I said that, there would be 20 posts demanding I show a PHD dissertation on it. But that is problem with Apollo supporters, there is little supporting evidence to back their assertions. Yes there are many generalized docs but little technical info on the actual workings of many things. Case in point, we can dumb down things to some of the big elephants in the room in which even a child may ask about. Since we are talking about the LM in this thread, lets talk LM.

The Lunar Module is perhaps the greatest flying machine humanity has ever witnessed, never seen before, never seen since. A 36000 pound (6000 pound on moon) rocket ship/drone/hovercraft capable of going from 5000 feet per second to a hovering drone in little time in a gravity based environment. Again, if we dumb things right down, as my very own child has asked, why are we not using that drone to go to Hawaii for Spring break now? Given it is 50 years later, it is an obvious and very simple question that I have seen no Apollo supporter adequately answer. Why, in part, because there is no supporting technical documentation for this technical marvel. If so, giddy up. Window seat please. It has gotten to the point, (as I am sure you guys know), someone like Astronaut Pettitt (longest serving Astronaut and probably more qualified than anybody on this forum) rationalizes things by suggesting they lost the technology and it takes a long time to get it back. Uh? What? It took 6-7 years with 60's technology to go from scratch to have a manned drone winging around the moon at 5000 feet per second. And now, 50 years later? The proof is in the pudding. Nothing close. It is obvious to me, someone like Pettitt is coming up with bizarre rationalizations instead of confronting the elephant in the room issue. This should give pause to everyone. This supposed technology was not only in the hands of NASA but many commercial contractors. One would think our world would look a whole lot different today.  It is a crying shame that this technology has not been implemented in this world.  But, as some (very qualified) surmise, we lost it.

My point here is not about this "elephant in the room" issue. It is just to point out that many here demand supporting proofs from others yet show little supporting evidence for their own suppositions. It is almost as if what some say here should be self evident to everyone. It doesn't work like that if one is asking others for supporting evidence to support their claim. It is a two way street.

I would like to thank OneBigMonkey (I also just realized I have been on his website too) for actually responding to my questions unlike almost everyone else. I will use another post to respond to your posts. And hopefully we can get back on track.

Jr

Offline bobdude11

• Venus
« Reply #258 on: December 19, 2018, 12:06:08 PM »
Oh, that's explained in another "paper."

What did you expect from someone who's evidently incapable of admitting error.
or even just understanding the memo they have ...
Robert Clark -
CISSP, MISM, MCSE and some other alphabet certifications.
I am moving to Theory ... everything works in Theory
"Everybody remember where we parked." James Tiberius Kirk, Captain, U.S.S. Enterprise

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #259 on: December 19, 2018, 12:07:25 PM »
Providing the documentation is one thing. Understanding it is another.

In the Keyboard Warrior world, he who posts the most links wins.  It's like an exercise in competitive Googling or competitive footnoting, even though the claimants often don't read the links and can't understand the material.  It's faux expertise.  The gambit is "See, I can find all these references that mention the topic I'm talking about, therefore I'm so much smarter and more capable than you."  Well, who's the actual expert, the guy who has to Google frantically or the guy who can explain the topics at any length or depth based on his own extensive personal knowledge?

And once again, do you understand the difference between a paper and a memo? This is not trivial.

In the Apollo collaboration world, there's even a non-trivial difference between memos sent between individuals and memos written for "distribution," as this one was.   The latter is more of an "Oh, by the way" engagement.  Memos for distribution are sent around to the major contractors and supervising entities, where it's one person's job to read them all and see which ones apply to his group and then to see that they get sent to the appropriate people.  It's the 1960s equivalent of an email chain.

In contrast, a serious suggestion that the lunar module might be inherently unflyable wouldn't get that kind of treatment.  It would be the subject of in-person, face-to-face meetings attended by many people -- the kind of thing that can't just fly under the radar.  After LM-5's window blew out during a vacuum test, there was a huge paper trail of interaction between Shea's office and Corning to fix the problem.  Of course that's part of jr Knowing's (circular) argument.  The plume-deflector matter wasn't given the serious attention he is certain it deserved, so that's "proof" that NASA intended to sweep it under the carpet lest anyone get suspicious about the authenticity of the operation.  This is why he's falling all over himself with bluster trying to get us to interpret this memo the way he needs it to read for his argument.  But neither the content nor the meta information surrounding the memo indicates it was a serious problem, or applicable in any way outside the narrow scope in which it was written.

On Apollo 13 ... wasn't done by automatic control.

Correct; the memo raises a problem only with the automation, not with the inherent dynamics of the docked stack.  The computer program will fail in this one corner case, but that doesn't make the machine unflyable in any other condition or by any other means.  The capability of the autopilot is not synonymous with the dynamic properties of the spacecraft.  Automation is presented to ease the burden of tedious ordinary flight, and in some cases to achieve precision that would be more difficult to obtain otherwise.  The latter is often employed to expand the production envelope of a vehicle.  For example, automation in commercial air travel makes it possible to take off and land in weather that would tax a human pilot -- but only if the take-off and landing is otherwise unremarkable.  It makes sense to automate only the common cases reliably.  If you opened the floodgates to all the contingency cases, you'd not only outstrip the capacity of the computer and its programmers, you'd risk complicating the common case, which would make it overall less reliable.  You've all heard the adage, "Better is the enemy of good."  The memo is from the automation people to the whole Apollo group, saying "This is one case the automation can't handle without some manual intervention."  In no way does it say the plume deflectors make the LM unstable all the time.

Under a very specific cet of circumstances that are extremely unlikely to occur.

Right, Appendix Q of the flight plan.  Jr really wants this to be about the baseline LM performance, but it just ain't so.  If the LM is flying the stack, you're not flying a normal mission at that point.  That scenario would arise only after a whole lot of failures that would have violated mission rules several times over, releasing the crew from any obligation to achieve further mission objectives.  So the requirements here are not precision flying for Moon-landing purposes, but survivable seat-of-the-pants flying for survival purposes, such as was experienced on Apollo 13.  No one would intentionally design a spacecraft with the dynamic characteristics the docked stack had, and which Lovell et al. had to deal with.  Designing something to degrade gracefully under failure is not to dismiss the hazards of degraded capacity.

It also illustrates how the problem can be avoided by manual crew intervention.

That's what really makes this a tempest in a teapot.  The most dangerous scenario envisioned in the memo can be remedied by simply flipping one single switch in the cockpit.  You don't even have to stay out of the DAP.  You just have to keep the DAP from using the one jet that will cause an unacceptable moment or a feedback loop.  This is actually less serious than how commercial airframes are allowed to degrade, even for passenger-carrying duty.  There are several scenarios in the troubleshooting checklists that end with "Do not use autopilot."  It doesn't make the airplane inherently unflyable.  It just means you can't let the computer fly it, because you've violated one of the assumptions the authors of the computer program were given to rely on.

Real engineering is just not as alarmist as jr Knowing is making it out to be.  Energetically looking for the kind of knowledge reported in the memo is an ordinary engineering activity.  Finding problems in a design does not mean "catastrophic" failure of the design.  You don't wait to fly the machine until all the problems are solved.  You wait to fly the machine until you're convinced the substantial problems are known.  Especially when the design includes both automation and a human operator, problems with the automation don't forestall putting it into production if it's something the operator can correct.

This was actually illustrated by an episode in CM development.  North American had trouble designing the monitor and warning system so that several of the warning annunciators wouldn't light up when the spacecraft was first powered on, ostensibly because the conditions they were monitoring hadn't yet warmed up or reached steady state.  The crews weren't concerned.  If you waited a few seconds and pushed the master reset, the lights would go out.  Powering the CM off and back on again wasn't part of any then-conceivable mission profile.  And besides, that's how the automobiles of the era worked.  When you turned the key, you got several warning lights until the rest of the car caught up with the warning system.  The notion that all this stuff had to work perfectly or else it was a "catastrophe" is just made-up nonsense.  It's what hoax claimants say in order to amplify the importance of whatever niggling detail they've latched onto.

Careful jr, your slip's showing. You've subtly shifted to "you may not have looked at these photos properly" to "I know more than you".

Oh, it's not subtle.  He's been doing this subtly until now, but I guess he's finally figured out that his disguise isn't working.  Days ago, this was why he couldn't admit error, why he had to rewrite pointed questions so as to pretend they were softer.  It's been an ego-reinforcement trip since Day One.  It's why he tells us to keep staring at the pictures until we embark on the "journey" of discovery that he's already purported to have completed.  He's convinced he's got so much more natural insight (and possibly engineering skill) than his critics.  He wants to believe he's discovered something that the very smart people at NASA thought would be hidden forever, thus making him smarter than they.

The paper does not support your position...
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #260 on: December 19, 2018, 12:33:59 PM »
ANother long wall of text from jr that doesn't address the questions put to him and sidesteps the issue of his total failure to grasp what the memo actually says.

Hi Jay,

Believe it or not, I just realized who you are and your background.

I for one don't believe you have 'just realised'.

But you have to realize, from an Apollo supporter standpoint, it is very hard defending something with facts that has a dearth of supporting evidence.

No, there is bucketloads of supporting evidence, it's just that most of it is tied up in professional expertise. Jay is a professional aerospace engineer. Therefore, when he comes along and givs a lengthy explanation of why plume deflectors were not an issue, along with some mathematical and engineering descriptions, you can assume that answer is actually correct, in the same way you accept a medical diagnosis from a doctor or a report of your car's condition from a mechanic.

Furthermore, the evidence for Apollo is vast. You are presenting a case for fakery, which does require evidence to be presented. So far you have claimed to do just this but your evidence falls very very short of supporting anything.

For instance, it is one thing to say the nozzle on the RCS will not get rip off on takeoff because the air flow, while turbulent, will not be powerful enough to do damage. Sounds reasonable enough but you offer no supporting evidence.

Exactly what evidence would you accept? Fluid dynamics and aerodynamics are mature sciences not exclusive to Apollo. Additionally, the suggestion that they somehow should be ripped off during takeoff is nonsensical because no engineer would make such a cockup in design. The RCS quads manifestly did not get ripped off the CSM during takeoff, so that's some pretty solid evidence that supports the conclusion that they were engineered to survive the forces they would be exposed to, and since every other engine pipe or fill port that did protrude was covered by an aerodynamic fairing there's clearly a very simple solution even if they couldn't survive, so why wasn't it employed?

You don't get to complain that you're being held to an unfair standard of proof, especially when you fail to meet any standard of proof at all.

The Lunar Module is perhaps the greatest flying machine humanity has ever witnessed, never seen before, never seen since. A 36000 pound (6000 pound on moon) rocket ship/drone/hovercraft capable of going from 5000 feet per second to a hovering drone in little time in a gravity based environment. Again, if we dumb things right down, as my very own child has asked, why are we not using that drone to go to Hawaii for Spring break now? Given it is 50 years later, it is an obvious and very simple question that I have seen no Apollo supporter adequately answer.

So the 'dumbed down' question is why are we not using a vehcle designed for two men to land on an airless world in 1/6th gravity to ferry people around in an atmosphere in 1g? Really? Does it not occur to you that the LM is designed for a specific purpose and many of those design features therefore cannot be applied to a totally different environment?

Why, in part, because there is no supporting technical documentation for this technical marvel.

Absolute cobblers. Your inability to find documents does not prove they don't exist.

What? It took 6-7 years with 60's technology to go from scratch to have a manned drone winging around the moon at 5000 feet per second. And now, 50 years later?

You left out the cost. Rather significant factor. It makes no odds how much technology advances if no-one will stump up the cash to pay for it.

It is obvious to me, someone like Pettitt is coming up with bizarre rationalizations instead of confronting the elephant in the room issue.

It is obvious to us that you are doing similar. Care to address the issues with that memo and the questions you've been asked about it?

It is almost as if what some say here should be self evident to everyone.

When it comes to responses from a professional engineer, it's as if we accept credentials as a mark of the likely validity of his statements, and that is a pretty standard way to work. WHat you are doing is trying to dismiss a whole massive achievement on the basis that it doesn't look right to you. IN that instance it is appropriate to ask for more supporting evidence for your argument.

Now, get back on track and address a few things, like why you still think that memo proves the LM is unstable. Once again, I'll direct you to the equation used to determine when the problem exists, and if you can apply that to the undocked LM.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #261 on: December 19, 2018, 12:44:52 PM »

Now I am sure you are going to say you are not defending your position but defending the facts as you continually tend to point out. Fair enough. But you have to realize, from an Apollo supporter standpoint, it is very hard defending something with facts that has a dearth of supporting evidence. And that is the problem with the Apollo project.

Garbage.
The Apollo program was probably the most documented program up to that point (and possibly still is). just because you are incapable of finding that stuff and, based on your interpretation of the memo, incapable of understanding it DOES NOT mean that it is undocumented. There are literally tens of thousands of pieces of documentation available within a second's Google search and uncountably more physically located in the corporate memory of the companies that were involved.

. For instance, it is one thing to say the nozzle on the RCS will not get rip off on takeoff because the air flow, while turbulent, will not be powerful enough to do damage. Sounds reasonable enough but you offer no supporting evidence. If I said that, there would be 20 posts demanding I show a PHD dissertation on it.

Garbage.
You clearly do not understand the burden of proof. You make the claim that the thrusters would be ripped off. The burden of proof is on you to evidence this. There are thousands of pieces of proof to show that the RCS thrusters were not ripped off. You yourself has used images off devices on the moon to support your claims...how exactly did they get there?

Yes there are many generalized docs but little technical info on the actual workings of many things.

Garbage.
Some people on here are employed in this field. They design and BUILD spaceships. Do you think that they do this on the back of a napkin?
Again, just because you are incapable of finding technical documents (not everything is available via Google) does not mean that they aren't availible. And frankly, I would question your ability to understand them if someone put them on your desk.

Case in point, we can dumb down things to some of the big elephants in the room in which even a child may ask about.

Appeal to personal incredulity.
Not every complex problem can by simplified to that level without losing the detail that that thing requires. The fact that you are even asking this shows that you do not understand or have the tools to even formulate the question, much less understand the answer. The Dunning Kruger effect strikes again.

The Lunar Module is perhaps the greatest flying machine humanity has ever witnessed, never seen before, never seen since. A 36000 pound (6000 pound on moon) rocket ship/drone/hovercraft capable of going from 5000 feet per second to a hovering drone in little time in a gravity based environment. Again, if we dumb things right down, as my very own child has asked, why are we not using that drone to go to Hawaii for Spring break now?

Appeal to personal incredulity.
Oh my days! Do you even understand the difference between operating in a thick atmosphere at 1G compared to operating in a vacuum at 1/6thG?

... there is no supporting technical documentation for this technical marvel.
There is. As before, you don't know where, or haven't bothered, to find it. And if it was put in front of you you wouldn't be able to understand it.

But, as some (very qualified) surmise, we lost it.

We haven't lost it.

My point here is not about this "elephant in the room" issue. It is just to point out that many here demand supporting proofs from others yet show little supporting evidence for their own suppositions. It is almost as if what some say here should be self evident to everyone. It doesn't work like that if one is asking others for supporting evidence to support their claim. It is a two way street.

As before, we can add a failure to understand the burden of proof to the growing list of things that you don't understand. Your extraordinary claim = your extraordinary proof.

And hopefully we can get back on track.

You are the only one taking things off track. You are not the first hoax-believer to try the JAQ routine or to act like a sealion poster. Your schtick is well known around these parts as is your attempt to gish-gallop away from your profound errors. Go answer the questions that you have outstanding please.

At this stage, I'm not convinced that you are not now trolling, especially as you now realise that cannot answer the simple questions that have been asked of you.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:49:52 PM by Zakalwe »
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #262 on: December 19, 2018, 12:47:36 PM »
Hi Jay,

Believe it or not, I just realized who you are and your background. That now helps explain why you and others are so suspicious and paranoid. Call me naïve, I did not know I was walking into a hornets nest. I didn't walk in here to stir things up. Literally, one of my buddies who is really into space travel (I mentioned before), suggested I checkout this website to bounce some of my ideas off. Believe me I am not here to get a rise out of jerking you guys around. I have to respect your dogged persistence over the years defending your position. It does take a lot of patience dealing with people like myself.

Now I am sure you are going to say you are not defending your position but defending the facts as you continually tend to point out. Fair enough. But you have to realize, from an Apollo supporter standpoint, it is very hard defending something with facts that has a dearth of supporting evidence. And that is the problem with the Apollo project. And I have seen that with Apollo supporters and I see that in your answers. For instance, it is one thing to say the nozzle on the RCS will not get rip off on takeoff because the air flow, while turbulent, will not be powerful enough to do damage. Sounds reasonable enough but you offer no supporting evidence. If I said that, there would be 20 posts demanding I show a PHD dissertation on it. But that is problem with Apollo supporters, there is little supporting evidence to back their assertions. Yes there are many generalized docs but little technical info on the actual workings of many things. Case in point, we can dumb down things to some of the big elephants in the room in which even a child may ask about. Since we are talking about the LM in this thread, lets talk LM.

The Lunar Module is perhaps the greatest flying machine humanity has ever witnessed, never seen before, never seen since. A 36000 pound (6000 pound on moon) rocket ship/drone/hovercraft capable of going from 5000 feet per second to a hovering drone in little time in a gravity based environment. Again, if we dumb things right down, as my very own child has asked, why are we not using that drone to go to Hawaii for Spring break now? Given it is 50 years later, it is an obvious and very simple question that I have seen no Apollo supporter adequately answer. Why, in part, because there is no supporting technical documentation for this technical marvel. If so, giddy up. Window seat please. It has gotten to the point, (as I am sure you guys know), someone like Astronaut Pettitt (longest serving Astronaut and probably more qualified than anybody on this forum) rationalizes things by suggesting they lost the technology and it takes a long time to get it back. Uh? What? It took 6-7 years with 60's technology to go from scratch to have a manned drone winging around the moon at 5000 feet per second. And now, 50 years later? The proof is in the pudding. Nothing close. It is obvious to me, someone like Pettitt is coming up with bizarre rationalizations instead of confronting the elephant in the room issue. This should give pause to everyone. This supposed technology was not only in the hands of NASA but many commercial contractors. One would think our world would look a whole lot different today.  It is a crying shame that this technology has not been implemented in this world.  But, as some (very qualified) surmise, we lost it.

I would like to thank OneBigMonkey (I also just realized I have been on his website too) for actually responding to my questions unlike almost everyone else. I will use another post to respond to your posts. And hopefully we can get back on track.

Jr

Or there is another probability such as you don't know where to look for documentation or you haven't searched properly for the documentation you desire.  I have only been around for a couple of years and there is information that I don't know where to look, but I'm not in your camp that it doesn't exist. 
There is another behavior you have, the inability to accept that you are incorrect from any number of sources.  You say that you can accept that you are wrong, but the evidence is you don't understand the facts, just a myopic viewpoint of the program that supported the issues that needed to be addressed.  This prevents you from indicating "jr is wrong". Even when presented with evidence of your error.
I believe Jay is the premier source of Apollo facts, although he doesn't know it all, as he posted.  But he will admit when he is wrong(and that isn't very often).

You have failed miserably in attempting to show that Apollo was a fake.

You ask why we don't do the missions that we did 50 years ago.  And this is because NASA doesn't have the funds and political will to do those missions.  The administrator says that we are going, but that is ONLY with support of the Executive and Legislative branches that will provide MONEY.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #263 on: December 19, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »
and now, 50 years later? The proof is in the pudding. Nothing close.

Really?

Landing on a comet isn't impressive enough for you?

Circling an asteroid with the intention of landing and returning a sample?

A probe landing on the lunar far side?

Photographs of objects just 10s of centimetres across on the lunar surface?

Probes wandering around the Martian surface?

Two probes in interstellar space?

A detailed view of Pluto? Jupiter?

A modular space station?

Sure not all of those are NASA but do you think these things exist in isolation? That they aren't somehow directly descended from the lessons learned by Apollo?

Boots on the ground are not the only measure of success in space, nor are they the only thing that's being done.

No-one is ever going to be making trips to a holiday camp on the moon. No-one is ever going to be mining Helium-3 there. You're deluded if you think that's the case. If you want to see human beings on the moon you need to either become stupidly rich and pay for it yourself or convince whichever government you pay taxes to that it's a good use of their money.

Oh, and thanks for the appreciation, but I'd appreciate it even more if you actually backed up your assertions with real facts instead of insinuations and suggestions that people haven't actually spent most of their life looking at the same data you have - often as industry professionals, and that when presented with evidence that shows you to be wrong that you acknowledge that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 01:06:11 PM by onebigmonkey »

Offline jr Knowing

• Earth
« Reply #264 on: December 19, 2018, 02:11:52 PM »
Hi OneBigMonkey,

I will have a much fuller response soon, but in the interim, in your fender comparison you are using a front tire fender flap not a rear tire fender. I have attached a doc that shows the difference. This doc also highlights part of the confusion regarding that Apollo 17 rear fender. Thanks

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/LRV_Fender_Extensions.pdf

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #265 on: December 19, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »
That now helps explain why you and others are so suspicious and paranoid.

Having failed to bluff your way through the technical argument, it appears you're now resorting to poisoning the well.

It does take a lot of patience dealing with people like myself.

Answering the technical questions doesn't take much patience.  What takes patience is dealing with all the social engineering nonsense that "people like yourself" can't seem to avoid injecting into the debate.  I can deal with people who simply don't know the material.  Early in my career I also taught college.  I have the skills to lay out difficult concepts in a way that helps people understand them.  It's harder to deal with the bluff, bluster, and outright dishonesty.  That's why I tell people up front simply to be honest, and that this will net them a better experience even if no one ends up convincing anyone else.  You did not take our advice.  You insisted on playing rhetorical games, hence you were treated appropriately.

...it is very hard defending something with facts that has a dearth of supporting evidence.

Apollo has a mountain of supporting evidence.

Sounds reasonable enough but you offer no supporting evidence.

Yeah, you tried shifting the burden of proof like this before.

You offered zero argument, evidence, documentation, or analysis that the SM RCS jets were seriously endangered during the ascent.  You just plopped your assumption down on the table and demanded we take it at face value as evidence of a suspicious situation.  Before one tries to argue that the lack of the expected solution to some problem is suspicious, you have to demonstrated that there was even a problem to be solved.  You didn't do that.  You just begged that question.  I even prodded you to look at your argument a little more closely by asking you whether you had done any computations etc. to inform your suspicion.  I was met with stony silence.

I get that you want everyone else to play by the same Internet Warrior rules, frantically Googling for every detail and footnoting every assertion with links.  That's not how actual expertise works in most cases, so you won't undermine anyone's credibility by suggesting they aren't following your playbook.

You based your SM RCS argument principally on two premises, both of which were assumptions you made.  First, you assumed there would be a powerful slipstream.  That is a reasonable layman's assumption, so my argument on that point was not that you were stupid or nefarious.  I simply pointed out a well-known property of aerodynamics that may not be immediately apparent to the layman.  "Boundary layer separation" is not a super-secret property of fluid flow held in some CIA vault, nor is it something that applies only to Apollo or to rockets.  In fact, one can't get very far into the study of fluid flow without encountering the topic of flow separation.  You could simply have done a basic Google search on the words I used in the post, whereupon it would have been quite apparent that this is a common property I'm referring to, one that someone discussing fluid flow should already know and bring to the table.  Not only did you fail to investigate it when it was brought to your attention, you doubled down on your misinformation.  The conscientious student would have recognized that there was something he was expected to have known before issuing his challenge.  So no, you don't get to parlay your incompetence on the subject of fluid flow into something I'm obliged to produce for you as "supporting evidence."  And in any case, I told you that this phenomenon is easily seen by looking at photographs of objects flying at transonic speeds, including the Saturn V.  You were given plenty of information that you could have used to revisit your erroneous assumption using any means at your disposal.

The other principal premise was that the jets themselves were delicate enough to be damaged by substantial laminar flow.  Again, you provided zero detail or evidence or argument to substantiate this suspicion.  You were smart enough to note the altitude of max Q.  Did it occur to you to look up the dimensions of the RCS jets, compute the aspect area, find the mass density of air at that altitude, reckon the velocity of the Saturn V at that point in the flight, and compute the drag?  With the drag force in hand, did it occur to you to compare that to the mechanical structure that fastened the jets to the SM frame?  Or, if your concern was damage to internal components, did you research the pitot effect, which is the guiding principal for flow into a constricted channel?  Did you do any of this before concluding your assumptions were reasonable?  No, you did none of that.  And once again, when you were told about the topics you had ignored in order to form your assumptions, you just doubled down again on your "feelings."

Certainly I know how to do all that.  I can rattle off the equations and models off the top of my head because this is what I do for a living.  Sure, if pressed I can probably point you to various textbooks on aerodynamics and go look up the formulas for you so that you'll have the page number, but I don't habitually do that because I don't have to in order to practice the field.  That's the kind of answer you get when you ask a practicing engineer.  Do you demand that your dentist show you all the elementary dentistry textbooks and all the clinical and research papers for every procedure he's going to perform on you?  Or do you just have the experience that you expect when you consult an expert?

Where are all the supporting documents for the aerodynamics of the SM RCS under laminar flow?  Do they exist?  Can I produce them, point to them, or reference them?  No, because the right answer is that the SM jets were never in the laminar flow.  Your second assumption is rendered moot by your first.  Certainly I can find scale drawings of the precise model of Marquardt motor that was fitted to the SM.  I did, just the other day.  And I know what materials it's made of.  I can certainly do a mechanical design analysis, but why?  It would be an academic exercise.  Why would we develop or look for "supporting evidence" for a condition that didn't arise?

And why would I be obliged do that to provide answers to idle, ill-conceived assumptions?  It's been said that arguments made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.  You provided no evidence whatsoever that your concern for the SM RCS was anything more than idle.  You were given a fully-reasoned, if not fully-documented, answer, which you simply discarded.  You received more than you earned, and now you're whining about it.

But that is problem with Apollo supporters, there is little supporting evidence to back their assertions. Yes there are many generalized docs but little technical info on the actual workings of many things.

That's not my experience, nor is it the experience of the hundreds -- if not thousands -- of interested amateurs who manage to find just about any technical detail on Apollo they want.  On YouTube there's a guy covering the efforts of a bunch of amateurs to actually rebuild the Apollo guidance computer.  A private collector bought a bunch of Apollo junk at auction and later realized that an AGC was part of it.  There's a team of old-duffer electrical engineers and young whipper-snappers who are (last I checked) within a hair's breadth of powering it up and using it.  And as part of their efforts, they're looking at the original circuit diagrams and mechanical drawings, and comparing it against the as-built hardware.  The only thing they don't have documentation for is the core-rope simulator, which was used for ground testing.  It was a cobbled-up thing that never needed to be documented.

Then there's also Scott Sullivan, a professional engineer who has managed to assemble enough of the mechanical drawings of the spacecraft to produce CAD models of the LM and CSM right down to the nut-and-bolt level.

No, I'm rejecting this claim on its face.  The amount and degree of detail in Apollo technical documentation that is available to the conscientious researcher boggles the mind.  You may be unaware of it, or unable to place it in the correct context.  But you don't get to convert those shortcomings on your part to suspicious behavior in the thing you (refuse to) study.  The world isn't suspicious just because you don't want to delve into it.

The Lunar Module is perhaps the greatest flying machine humanity has ever witnessed, never seen before, never seen since.

Is that your person opinion, or do you know for a fact that this is how the aerospace industry views it?  See, we're very familiar with the line of reasoning where someone sets an arbitrary (and ridiculously high) standard simply to show that it somehow wasn't met.  That's a "straw man" argument.

"Greatest flying machine" is a broad, non-specific claim.  It was certainly unlike any previous flying machine in many respects.  But that doesn't make it great.  It was never seen before because the steps leading to the only problem such a machine could solve had never been taken.  There's no incentive to build a machine that can land a man on the Moon until you can get someone close enough to the Moon to try.  It was never seen after because it has no general applicability, and the one task it was designed to accomplish was something no one want to shell out the money to do anymore.

...my very own child has asked, why are we not using that drone to go to Hawaii for Spring break now? Given it is 50 years later, it is an obvious and very simple question that I have seen no Apollo supporter adequately answer.

No, it's a stupid question.

Why, in part, because there is no supporting technical documentation for this technical marvel.

Your claim that there is "no supporting technical documentation" is simply not true.  Hobbyists have been able to recreate virtually every aspect of it, based on the publicly available information.  I've even assisted in the actual restoration of an actual flight-qualified lunar module, and there was no problem obtaining information.

...by suggesting they lost the technology and it takes a long time to get it back.

No, "lost the technology" is again too vague.  The technology that is embodied in the lunar module didn't spring out of nowhere and go nowhere.  The technology to build them is another matter.  Building specific vehicles requires specific tools built by the manufacturer and specific skills possessed by the manufacturer's employees.  After about four years of not building those vehicles, the people who were once involved with it will have forgotten how to build it.  Usually within a shorter period, the manufacturer will have torn down and reclaimed the tooling.  The ability to build an aerospace artifact is not the same thing as knowing how it was designed and operated, and being able to adapt components of it from and for other uses.  If you stop building something and need to start building it again some number of years later, the startup cost is very close to the original tooling and startup cost.  This is why we have keepalive projects in aerospace.  If you knew anything about the field, this wouldn't surprise you.

As to whether your source is more qualified than anyone in this forum, I'll posit that Dr. Ed Mitchell, the Apollo 14 CMP, considered me an expert on his missions and referred other people to me to have their technical questions answered.  I do not accept your evaluation of the skills or knowledge of anyone else in this forum.

Uh? What? It took 6-7 years with 60's technology to go from scratch to have a manned drone winging around the moon at 5000 feet per second.

They didn't go "from scratch."  There's no such thing as a "manned drone."  A drone by definition is unmanned.  And if you're flying in a vacuum, it doesn't matter whether you're flying at 5 fps or 50,000.  You're putting lots of lipstick on your straw man, but that doesn't make your impressions or interpretations have any more evidentiary value than before.

The structure of the lunar module, for example, was designed and fabricated according to the methods commonly used for ordinary airframes.  The innovation was a special approach to fabricating skin-and-stringer modules as integral parts, saving weight.  The environmental system wasn't anything they didn't already know how to make, but getting it down to the right mass and size took a lot of ingenuity.  The value to Grumman in building the lunar module wasn't tied up in the fact that they now had a lunar module.  The value was in the techniques and tricks they developed along the way.  Every project forces you to develop new, competitive, and innovative technology.  Some of it is particular to that project.  Others may transfer.

And now, 50 years later?

Has there been, at any time in the past 50 years, the need to have a manned lunar landing vehicle?  I look around and see the remarkable things being done in aerospace, both in the private and public sector.  These all have roots in Apollo.  You're trying to tell us that because we don't fly descendants of Apollo lunar modules to and from work, nothing of it survived and that this is suspicious.  That's incredibly naive.

This should give pause to everyone.

No, because everyone here can see all the silly hidden assumptions you're piling into this travesty of a line of reasoning.  They've heard them all before.  You want to claim as victory the notion that no one has answered these questions.  We take it as victory that no one has been able to defend any of the ignorant assumptions behind them.  You ask, "Have you stopped beating your wife?" and now you're trying to make something out of the fact that people aren't dumb enough to actually answer you.

This supposed technology was not only in the hands of NASA but many commercial contractors.

None of whom has any use for a manned lunar module.  However, some of the techniques that Grumman developed for manufacturing the LM, such as chemical milling for skin-and-stringer panels, were used for a while in their other projects such as the F-14 Tomcat.  Even that, however, has been supplanted by even newer techniques.  To make an Apollo-era LM today would require rebuilding decades-old chem-milling machines and learning again how to operate them.  That's not any easier than designing and building a new one from scratch using today's knowledge, materials, and techniques.  When we say "the technology was lost," in some cases we are saying there was no longer any use for it.

One would think our world would look a whole lot different today.

I contend our world does look different today because of Apollo.  Tell us how it would have looked without Apollo, and how you know that.  And name one other customer besides NASA for an Apollo lunar module, for the past 50 years.  Just one.

It is a crying shame that this technology has not been implemented in this world.

There is no market for an Apollo manned lunar lander, and no real market for anything much like it.  However, I think the F-14 Tomcat would have looked different (or at least built differently) without the lessons its design team learned while building the Apollo lunar module.  Your argument is a straw man.

It is just to point out that many here demand supporting proofs from others yet show little supporting evidence for their own suppositions.

When you can demonstrate your competence, as I have mine, you will have earned the benefit of the doubt.  When your arguments are instead demonstrated to be merely ignorant supposition, you must supplement them with something before demanding they be taken seriously.  You provided no supporting documentation for anything you claimed.  The memo you have belatedly produced does not say what you claimed it said.  Why is it someone else's duty to document answers to undocumented questions?  You were asked first for documents because you made your claims first.  If your claims fail for lack of substance, there is no need for anyone else to produce anything.

Further, it's one thing to point to the kind of documentation that exists and note that it's complete and consistent with the efforts to design and build something.  That's not to say there's a list of supporting evidence somewhere explicitly refuting the naive claims everyone's going to come up with.  Expecting your ignorance to be directly, specifically rebutted by some external document is yet another straw man.  That's why we have experts, people who can apply the knowledge of the field to specific new questions.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #266 on: December 19, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »
I think others have pretty well summarised your post, and provided the appropriate responses, but picking out just a couple of points :
But that is problem with Apollo supporters, there is little supporting evidence to back their assertions. Yes there are many generalized docs but little technical info on the actual workings of many things.
On the contrary, there is extensive technical documentation on almost every aspect of the Apollo programme.  Everything from the mighty F1 engines, to the ingenious Guidance Computer (AGC), to the trivial but essential CM cabin lighting system, and even the procedures for dealing with human waste in space!...  If you want details on any particular aspect of the mission, it's pretty much all available online, and if you ask politely, someone might even point you at a particular document.

There's no attempt to "hide" anything, no "classified" documents, and no fees to access it.  If you think otherwise, then perhaps you really haven't done the research you think you have.

It has gotten to the point, (as I am sure you guys know), someone like Astronaut Pettitt (longest serving Astronaut and probably more qualified than anybody on this forum) rationalizes things by suggesting they lost the technology and it takes a long time to get it back. Uh? What? It took 6-7 years with 60's technology to go from scratch to have a manned drone winging around the moon at 5000 feet per second. And now, 50 years later?
Don Pettit has been quoted out of context repeatedly on this.  He perhaps used unfortunate phrasing, but the technology hasn't been "lost" - it has become outdated and expensive.  With modern technology, materials, and engineering, we could develop lunar-capable spacecraft, and we could put humans on the Moon again, but somebody is going to have to pick up the bill for it.

50 years ago there was a lot of motivation to achieve what seemed impossible, and the cost was seen as being worth it.  Now, even though various political figures might be saying it's going to happen, the fact is that there's no budget for it.  (Personally, I think it's going to take an international effort, with governments and private developers involved, to get us to the Moon and on to Mars, but that's another discussion.)

So JR, given that you've apparently misinterpreted everything from photographs of rover wheels to memos about attitude control stability, are you willing to look at the vast amount of technical documentation (which you claim doesn't exist) and perhaps learn something about how this amazing human accomplishment was achieved?
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #267 on: December 19, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »
I will have a much fuller response soon

And I predict it will do nothing to address the outstanding questions you already have. How about doing the simple bit of mathematics I asked you about, taken from your own evidence regarding supposed LM instability?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #268 on: December 19, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »
One more, minor, point :

And now, 50 years later?
It's only been 15 years since the last flight of Concorde, which was our last supersonic passenger aircraft.  You might ask why we don't have lots of newer and better supersonic transports whizzing all over the earth.  You might wonder why we can't just fire up the production lines and start cranking out Concordes again.

However, the production facilities have gone, companies closed or moved on to other things, engineers have likely forgotten most of the details etc.  And if you wanted to build something similar today, you'd obviously want to use the latest materials and techniques, not just rebuild to past designs.  When we go back to the Moon and beyond, Apollo will be used as a reference, but not as a blueprint.

Another, possibly better analogy for Apollo, was the journey to and eventual settlement of the South Pole.  From Scott's departure in 1912, it was 44 years before anyone returned to set up a permanent base.  You might ask why it took so long?  The challenges were well understood, and the required technology continually improving, so there was no reason it couldn't be done.  Perhaps you can apply your analytical skills to explaining why there wasn't a permanent presence at the South Pole, at least from post WW 1...
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #269 on: December 19, 2018, 03:21:27 PM »
The Lunar Module is perhaps the greatest flying machine humanity has ever witnessed, never seen before, never seen since. A 36000 pound (6000 pound on moon) rocket ship/drone/hovercraft capable of going from 5000 feet per second to a hovering drone in little time in a gravity based environment. Again, if we dumb things right down, as my very own child has asked, why are we not using that drone to go to Hawaii for Spring break now?

Because airplanes are much cheaper, more efficient, have greater range, and can carry far more people. 

To be fair, SpaceX has floated the idea of using their next-generation launcher and vehicle (formerly MCT, then ITS, then BFR/BFS, now Super Heavy and Spaceship) for suborbital hops on Earth, such that you could get from New York to Sydney in an hour or so.  Personally, I don't see that happening.  Hell, the market couldn't really support a supersonic transport. 

Given it is 50 years later, it is an obvious and very simple question that I have seen no Apollo supporter adequately answer. Why, in part, because there is no supporting technical documentation for this technical marvel.

Horseshit.  You have just outed yourself as a dishonest interlocutor.  Type "apollo lunar module documentation" into Google, and you get links to a wealth of documents.  The Apollo Lunar Surface Journal has links to vehicle familiarization manuals, operation manuals, systems handbooks, and assorted other materials. 

Not everything has been digitized and uploaded, but that doesn't mean it never existed

You cannot claim you have done any kind of research if you couldn't be bothered to do one freaking Google search

If so, giddy up. Window seat please. It has gotten to the point, (as I am sure you guys know), someone like Astronaut Pettitt (longest serving Astronaut and probably more qualified than anybody on this forum) rationalizes things by suggesting they lost the technology and it takes a long time to get it back. Uh? What? It took 6-7 years with 60's technology to go from scratch to have a manned drone winging around the moon at 5000 feet per second. And now, 50 years later? The proof is in the pudding. Nothing close.

What do you call the ISS, chopped liver?

As a space engineering project, the ISS is every bit as ambitious as landing on the Moon, in some ways more so.  So it's not another planet, it's still pretty damned impressive.  And let's not forget the unmanned side of the house, which finally made it to freaking Pluto

We haven't been back to the Moon because there's no perceived need to do so.  We only did it in the first place to beat the Soviets at something that involved large ballistic missiles ("look at how much mass we can throw into orbit, think about what we can throw at you").  Kennedy didn't really care about advancing science or technology, at least not to the extent that he cared about geopolitics. 

The Apollo program cost $25 bn in 1973 dollars, which is well north of $100 bn today, and at its peak employed 400,000 people.  That's not something you just do because you feel like it. 

It is obvious to me, someone like Pettitt is coming up with bizarre rationalizations instead of confronting the elephant in the room issue.

"Nobody is willing to pay for it" is not a rationalization.  That's reality.  Manned space flight is eye-wateringly expensive when we do it right, and we haven't done it right since the Shuttle.

This should give pause to everyone. This supposed technology was not only in the hands of NASA but many commercial contractors. One would think our world would look a whole lot different today.  It is a crying shame that this technology has not been implemented in this world.  But, as some (very qualified) surmise, we lost it.

Nothing's "lost".  The hardware is gone, but the knowledge is still there.  When Pettit is talking about not having the technology, he is talking about the physical Apollo hardware. 

SLS + Orion gets us to lunar orbit.  All that's missing is a lander, but Congress isn't going to pay for one because the point of SLS is to keep the legacy Shuttle manufacturing sector employed, not exploration.

Jr

You have exhibited a number of common tells for trolls/hoax proponents.  And your insistence that your vague gut feelings signify a problem with the Apollo program rather than your own unfamiliarity with the material also indicate that you're not operating in good faith. 

Again, type "apollo lunar module documentation" into Google and tell me that there's no supporting documentation