Author Topic: Oh goodie, we have a new player...  (Read 29817 times)

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
Re: Oh goodie, we have a new player...
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 04:13:41 PM »
So it was the LEC.  Neat!  Thanks to you both.  Back to my previous question, was there a specific concern that made the "safety line" a requirement, or was it just "general principles" for the first lunar EVA?  Also, I assume he disconnected the hook after the first few minutes?
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 06:19:42 PM »
Learn something new every day, I never knew that!

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 07:29:26 PM »
So it was the LEC.  Neat!  Thanks to you both.  Back to my previous question, was there a specific concern that made the "safety line" a requirement, or was it just "general principles" for the first lunar EVA?  Also, I assume he disconnected the hook after the first few minutes?

It's all in the link - about 2.5 minutes after first footfall, he disconnected.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
...was the lava tube thing really an issue?  Iirc, some wondered if people would sink into the dust...

I definitely recall concerns being expressed about the possible dangers of lava tubes prior to Apollo 11, but don't have or recall any details, and have read very little a bout it subsequently. Only Mike Collins's brief mentions in Carrying the Fire.

From a post of mine in July 2012
http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=133.msg4927#msg4927
I remember from the time before Apollo 11, lava tubes were still one of the great unknowns and it was thought that rilles might have been collapsed lava tubes.  The surveyor craft had done a great job of sending information about the lunar surface back to earth, but being so much lighter than the LM and having widely-spaced landing pads, there was far less of a chance that they would crash through into a tube.

The only places I've seen this concern mentioned post-Apollo are in Mike Collins's book, Carrying the Fire.

On pages 339-341 is his list of 11 major hurdles during a lunar-landing trip.  One of them is EVA:

7. EVA  Walking on the moon might be physically taxing and overload the oxygen or cooling systems. There might be potholes, or even underground lava tubes which could cause the surface to collapse.  Even more basic, any EVA puts man just one thin, glued-together, rubber membrane away from near-instant death.

And on page 410, after Houston tells Mike the crew of Tranquility Base is back inside:

Well, that's a big one behind us: no more worrying about crashing through into hidden lava tubes, or becoming exhausted, or the front door sticking open, or the little old ladies using weak glue, or any of that! Whew!

It shows how faulty our memories can become -- recently I only recalled one mention of lava tubes by Mike Collins.

Dr Thomas Gold was the person who promoted the idea that there could be very deep dust on the Moon. The 35mm 3D camera that Neil Armstrong used was named the Gold Camera after him.

Patrick Moore wrote in his book, The Moon, Mitchell Beazley, London (1981), page 18:
...According to another theory, proposed by T. Gold in 1955, the maria were covered with dust layers kilometres deep, so that if a spacecraft were to attempt to land, it "would simply sink into the dust with all its gear"; the dust would flow downhill, accumulating in the lowest-lying areas. This theory gained a considerable degree of respectability until the successful soft landing of Luna 9 in 1966, when it was finally discarded.

Learn something new every day...

Whenever I can say that, I've had a good day. The frequency of its occurrences can diminish when Oldfartitis sets in. :-(

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:46:17 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 09:15:41 AM »
I seem to recall, though I can't remember the source, that notwithstanding all the evidence there was still one prominent lunar scientist within the programme that insisted on the dangers of deep surface dust. While they were pretty sure he was wrong, pretty sure wasn't quite enough to throw caution to the wind :)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 09:19:03 AM »
I seem to recall, though I can't remember the source, that notwithstanding all the evidence there was still one prominent lunar scientist within the programme that insisted on the dangers of deep surface dust. While they were pretty sure he was wrong, pretty sure wasn't quite enough to throw caution to the wind :)

Possibly Andrew Chaikin, A Man on the Moon, page 180. Gold, Thomas in the index.
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 08:33:44 PM »
Its seems to me that lunar dust isn't so much "dust" as fine grit. The lack of any type of erosive forces on the Moon means that this grit is very sharp edged, and therefore "grippy"; it would seem impossible to sink into.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 09:47:03 PM »
Well, difficult.  Apparently it clumps easily.  That's understandable.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 02:23:57 AM »
I never really understand the argument that it was faked using wet sand, at many levels, but to dismiss the idea that powders do not form imprints without water for cohesion is utterly ignorant. Of course, if you live in cloud cuckoo land, you claim that it was filmed with dry sand to allow entrainment but then claim wet sand was used to form the famous Aldrin bootprint.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 05:42:16 AM »
...to dismiss the idea that powders do not form imprints without water for cohesion is utterly ignorant.
You wonder what world they inhabit when so many common substances refute this idea.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline Dr_Orpheus

• Venus
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2015, 06:31:31 AM »
...to dismiss the idea that powders do not form imprints without water for cohesion is utterly ignorant.
You wonder what world they inhabit when so many common substances refute this idea.

I've seen at least one, probably on this board, who claimed that dry powders in an atmosphere contain small amounts of water which allows them to form imprints.  Dry powders in a vacuum would be completely dry, and therefore, according to this poster, would not do so.  He or she naturally didn't do any experiments in a vacuum chamber to prove this accusation

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2015, 10:08:20 AM »

That statement almost tempts me to crack a bag of flour and see if childhood memories of it taking the imprint of a fist, and sticking together to make "mountains" with ridiculously steep sides, without requiring moisture, are reliable or not.

Then again, 2015's flour might be nothing like 1950s flour. [CT Mode]The wheat it comes from has probably been deformed by the constant pollution from the chemtrails that the gubmint keeps spraying us with. And now, of course, we have all the crop circles messing up our wheat too.[/CT Mode]

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:10:58 AM by Kiwi »

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2015, 10:13:37 AM »
Na!  It's GMO all the way down.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2015, 10:57:46 AM »
Someone bought a tub of simulated stuff and lobbed some hobnails in it. So it must be fake.

At least they will not go hungry, all that flour on the moon. Lots of bread.