Author Topic: LRO photos show ascent stage still on the ground?  (Read 128741 times)

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
Re: LRO photos show ascent stage still on the ground?
« Reply #240 on: November 10, 2012, 06:52:50 AM »
It's not that my eyesight is exceptional, ka9q. It is more likely that at least some of the 'stated set of facts' you mention are fiction.

So you are accusing us and thousands of physicists and biologists and engineers of telling lies?
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #241 on: November 10, 2012, 07:04:02 AM »
It's not that my eyesight is exceptional, ka9q. It is more likely that at least some of the 'stated set of facts' you mention are fiction.
It's actually far more likely that you are unable to understand that different people often have different subjective experiences even in similar situations and they're all telling the truth about their own experiences.

Or perhaps you do understand this but, because of some (not so) hidden agenda, are unable to admit it.

Offline Edwardwb1001

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #242 on: November 10, 2012, 07:05:25 AM »
I'm not proposing that they are outright or willful lies. Don't twist my words. I said 'it is more likely that at least some of the stated set of facts... are fiction'. As I'm sure you're aware, in some instances, scientists have altered their points of view. 

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #243 on: November 10, 2012, 07:07:15 AM »
I'm not proposing that they are outright or willful lies. Don't twist my words. I said 'it is more likely that at least some of the stated set of facts... are fiction'. As I'm sure you're aware, in some instances, scientists have altered their points of view.

I'm not twisting your words.  Saying that someone's "stated facts" are "fiction" is saying they are telling lies.  Don't fight semantics with me - if you are going to make accusations, then own them.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Edwardwb1001

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #244 on: November 10, 2012, 07:11:26 AM »
What I certainly do understand, (and which is plainly evident) is that regarding responses to conflicting comments by astronauts and scientists, there is much rationalisation.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #245 on: November 10, 2012, 07:13:10 AM »
I'm referring to Armstrong's 'observation' of seeing no stars whatsoever whilst in cislunar space, Andromeda.
"No stars whatsoever"? See, this is why original sources are always preferred, especially against paraphrases by Apollo deniers.

If you will refer to the original source in question, namely Neil Armstrong's answer at the press conference to a question about star visibility, you will note that at no time did he say anything like "I saw no stars whatsoever whilst in cislunar space".

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #246 on: November 10, 2012, 07:13:19 AM »
On NASA's 'Cosmicopia' - http://helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/qa_star.html , the following question is asked: 'Is it true that in space a person is not able to see stars all around them like we do on Earth?" A Dr. Eric Christian answers as follows: "No, I hear that in space the stars look wonderful, bright (although not twinkling) and very clear." (Obviously he did not hear this from Armstrong).

Depends on how dark it is, after passing into the night side of the moon Armstrong did have a great view of the stars.
Even said so in the mission transcript:

02 23 59 20 CDR
Houston, it's been a real change for us. Now we are able to see stars again and recognize constellations for the first time on the trip. It's - the sky is full of stars. Just like the nightside of Earth. But all the way here, we have only been able to see stars occasionally and perhaps through the monocular, but not recognize any star patterns.

02 23 59 52 CC
I guess it has turned into night up there really, hasn't it ?

02 23 59 58 CDR
Really has.

So they stated they did see stars, and even saw stars through the telescope on board when in cis-lunar space.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #247 on: November 10, 2012, 07:14:02 AM »
I have carried out this 'experiment' many times incidentally, with always identical results, viz: I could see plenty of stars. Nevertheless, I tried it once more.

Your observations are missing one rather significant factor: what is the difference in the number of stars you can see in a totally dark site compared to with that streetlamp?

Streetlamps are orders of magnitude dimmer than sunlight, or anything reflecting sunlight. If there is a difference between your ability to see stars on a dark site and with a streetlamp in your field of view, this difference will be magnified greatly by having anything as bright as a sunlit object in your field of view.

A Dr. Eric Christian answers as follows: "No, I hear that in space the stars look wonderful, bright (although not twinkling) and very clear."

So you'll take what a man says 'he hears' over the testimony of every human who has ever actually travelled in space?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #248 on: November 10, 2012, 07:14:32 AM »
Edward, like so many Deniers, you both cherry-pick and think in absolutes.  That's a poor combination.

Offline Edwardwb1001

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #249 on: November 10, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »
It's not necessarily true that they are 'telling lies',  Andromeda. A person may be of the opinion that a certain statement or view is a fact, and present it as such, yet they are not willfully telling lies.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #250 on: November 10, 2012, 07:17:52 AM »
As I'm sure you're aware, in some instances, scientists have altered their points of view. 

Yes, they have, because of evidence. What you have here is nothing like evidence. You have an answer to a specific question which you have ripped out of its context, and a passage from a book.

Armstrong could not see stars for most of the journey to and from the moon, or while on the surface. Aldrin did when he was making navigational sightings through the optics. A couple of other astronauts did when they had the time to stop, allow their eyes to adapt, and look. There is no actual contradiction here unless you assume that all accounts of everyone who has ever gone to the Moon must be identical.

I made two night flights from Canada in the past decade. On one I had a glorious view of the stars out of my window. On the other I didn't see any at all. Is one of those accounts fictional?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #251 on: November 10, 2012, 07:18:58 AM »
And which 'stated facts' are fiction, then?

Offline Edwardwb1001

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #252 on: November 10, 2012, 07:26:07 AM »
Armstrong said regarding stars in cislunar space: "I was not aware of any." Is this not the same as saying that he saw no stars whatsoever, ka9q? Why did Armstrong make the above categorical statement, Trebor, if he at various times did indeed see stars?

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #253 on: November 10, 2012, 07:27:48 AM »
Armstrong said regarding stars in cislunar space: "I was not aware of any."

No he didn't.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #254 on: November 10, 2012, 07:30:34 AM »
Armstrong said regarding stars in cislunar space: "I was not aware of any."

Citation?

Is this not the same as saying that he saw no stars whatsoever, ka9q?

No. Was he answering a question about the entire journey? Any specific points on the journey? Provide the full quote. Context is everything.