Author Topic: Photos from Apollo 11 film footage  (Read 186830 times)

Offline gwiz

• Mars
Re: Photos from Apollo 11 film footage
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »
Two astronauts supposedly accomplish arguably the greatest feat in human history that may not ever be duplicated, landing on the moon. They have the option of showing their faces in a photograph, but Buzz elects to be obscured behind a reflective gold visor, First Man on the Moon Armstrong never poses for a photo.
Some people may not find this strange, some people may find this odd.
I love the logic.  Your last claim was that it was suspicious that the visor was up, now you claim that it is suspicious that the visor is down.
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »
So the first sample, potentially the most important sample, because the astronauts may have to evacuate in an emergency, so what is the procedure, take the sample of regolith, next to the lander.
Think about this for just a minute, why whould they elect to take arguabley the most important "contingency sample" were it has the greatest possibility of being contaminated by rocket exhaust, plus surface disturbed by rocket exhaust stream?

Why not walk out far enough to assure a pristine sample?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:33:57 AM by profmunkin »

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2012, 11:31:12 AM »
Is it an anomaly that as the lander is descending, the exhaust does not produce any light?
As the lander moves over the lunar landscape, it does not show any visible effects on the landscape in the form of a bright spot or lighting shadowed areas as in capture image attached.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2012, 11:51:17 AM »
Is it an anomaly that as the lander is descending, the exhaust does not produce any light?
As the lander moves over the lunar landscape, it does not show any visible effects on the landscape in the form of a bright spot or lighting shadowed areas as in capture image attached.

What makes you think that the DPS produces any light? Why don't you do some research into the type of motor that the DPS was, the fuel that it consumed and also the operation of a rocket motor in a vacuum.

But before you do any of that, why don't you answer the questions that are outstanding against you?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
Visor, the astronauts apparently did not need the visors down during their excursions as evidenced in the film.
The Sun apparently did not have an effect significant enough to require the use of a visor.
But every picture taken on an EVA had visor down and faces obscured behind.

Wouldn't most people want their faces associated with the greatest feat in human history?
All we have is pictures of somebody in a space suit.
Not one astronaut elected to have their face photographed while on an EVA.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2012, 12:01:19 PM »

How do you know this? Have you reviewed every single EVA image?  I can think, off the top of my head, of images clearly showing Schmitt's face.

Stop making assumptions and then stating those assumptions as fact.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline profmunkin

• Mars
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »
Please show me the evidence that hypergolic fuel burns without a visible flame?

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »

Since when did it become my job to educate anyone that asks an inane question? You made the contention, you back it up with facts. It was your contention that the DPS should illuminate the ground....what led you to that conclusion please?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:27:00 PM by Zakalwe »

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »
Visor, the astronauts apparently did not need the visors down during their excursions as evidenced in the film.
The Sun apparently did not have an effect significant enough to require the use of a visor.
But every picture taken on an EVA had visor down and faces obscured behind.

Wouldn't most people want their faces associated with the greatest feat in human history?

A 2 minute search on the Lunar Surface Journal gives this result:

Will you publicly withdraw the contention?

Image AS11-40-5875 not only shows Buzz Aldrin's face, but it shows it illuminated through the gold visor.

Neil Armstrong was captured with the movie camera that was mounted inside the LEM:

In fact, here's a link to a whole pile of images showing the astronaut's faces: http://whizzospace.com/face/face.htm
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:13:18 PM by Zakalwe »

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »
Some people may not find this strange, some people may find this odd.

Name two other verifiable people besides you who do find it strange or odd.  You're simply saying they should have behaved like tourists.  Justify that expectation.

On the one hand you tell us that the astronauts had to keep their visors down or else they would have been instantly injured by the intense sunlight.  Now you're telling us that they should have raised their visors to pose for tourist pictures.  You can't have it both ways.

It's clear to me that no matter what the facts turn out to be, you have a reason why those facts must lead to a hoax.  Which further tells me that your mind is already made up and you're just shopping around for something that seems like a reasonable justification for your pre-existing belief.  Am I right?
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2012, 12:26:09 PM »

So you therefore concede not only that you were wrong about the science, but also that you are willing to make up whatever "science" you need to in order to support your beliefs, even when you know you're not competent.  Please therefore explain how you are not a troll.

Begging the question.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2012, 12:29:22 PM »

Discussed at length in the standard literature.  You do know what the standard references are in rocket propulsion, don't you?

Under vacuum conditions, practically no rocket produces a visible flame except during the ignition transient.  Please justify why you expect the DPS engine to produce a visible flame, and keep in mind that aerospace engineering is what some of us do for a living.

You have based almost all your pseudo-technical arguments on layman's expectations which have turned out to be without foundation or else egregiously wrong according to the facts.  Have you stopped to consider that there's a reason why all the world's properly qualified experts accept the Moon landings as real?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »

No, it is the expected result.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »
Why not walk out far enough to assure a pristine sample?

Because assuring a pristine sample was not a requirement or constraint for a contingency sample.  It was a goal for the other samples that did not have to be collected under contingency constraints.  The aim of the contingency sample was to get any material quickly, in case other sampling could not be done.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2012, 12:55:04 PM »

You are right, they should have taken them off to be sure they were who we think they were.