Author Topic: What is your favorite SF story that is not Star Trek or Star Wars?  (Read 39736 times)

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
What is your favorite SF story that is not Star Trek or Star Wars?
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2014, 03:32:40 PM »
I only read Neutron Start - I'll always remember the Puppet Master's line:  "Yes, human circulatory fluid."

BTW, Jay - just finished The Martian in essentially two sittings. Great read - thanks.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
Re: What is your favorite SF story that is not Star Trek or Star Wars?
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2014, 04:24:14 PM »
I only read Neutron Start - I'll always remember the Puppet Master's line:  "Yes, human circulatory fluid.

I thought "The Puppet Masters" was Heinlein?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2014, 04:34:15 PM »
I only read Neutron Start - I'll always remember the Puppet Master's line:  "Yes, human circulatory fluid.

yes! definitely heinlein.

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »

my first science fiction story was revolt in 2100 by heinlein. then heinlein, asimov and clarke.
almost anything from the golden years.
then niven and pournelle.
now. ringo.

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »

it's "Neutron Star"

my first science fiction story was revolt in 2100 by heinlein. then heinlein, asimov and clarke.
almost anything from the golden years.
then niven and pournelle.
now. ringo.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2014, 08:15:53 PM »

Hang on then. "Known Space" was Larry Niven's ball of wax. Without looking it up, I thought that in "Known Space" a corporation called General Spaceships or something like that, pretty much made all "space hulls" (which were transparent and near indestructible) and that most if not all spaceships were built using these hulls as the core."

Heinlein's "The Puppet Masters" was an invasion of Earth book that was later made into a film (which flopped) starring Donald Sutherland.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »
Whoops - its been years since I last read the story.  Should have been "Puppeteer". 

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2014, 10:44:54 PM »
Hang on then. "Known Space" was Larry Niven's ball of wax.

Indeed, his general unwillingness to work outside Known Space, and the general unwillingness of other authors to work in it, hobbled Niven's opportunity for collaboration.  The animated Star Trek series adapted "The Slaver Weapon" with some success.

Without looking it up, I thought that in "Known Space" a corporation called General Spaceships or something like that, pretty much made all "space hulls" (which were transparent and near indestructible) and that most if not all spaceships were built using these hulls as the core."

General Products, the Puppeteer corporation.  The premise of "Neutron Star" was to hire Beowulf Shaeffer to discover what strange force had managed to penetrate a General Products hull and kill its crew.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2014, 03:03:22 AM »

Hang on then. "Known Space" was Larry Niven's ball of wax. Without looking it up, I thought that in "Known Space" a corporation called General Spaceships or something like that, pretty much made all "space hulls" (which were transparent and near indestructible) and that most if not all spaceships were built using these hulls as the core."

Heinlein's "The Puppet Masters" was an invasion of Earth book that was later made into a film (which flopped) starring Donald Sutherland.

that post of mine didn't come out well!

"Neutron Star" by larry niven
"The puppet Masters" by RA Heinlein (note capitalisation).

the film flopped, but i liked it. hey, though, i liked zombies v cockneys. and still think that the original film of buffy was better than the series.

sloop.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2014, 04:01:45 AM »
The premise of "Neutron Star" was to hire Beowulf Shaeffer to discover what strange force had managed to penetrate a General Products hull and kill its crew.

Spoiler warning:

Yep, I remember it now, an excellent explanation of [spoiler]tidal forces[/spoiler]

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2014, 04:07:55 AM »
... still think that the original film of buffy was better than the series.

sloop.

Good lord! there are two of us? ;)
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2014, 05:07:53 AM »
... still think that the original film of buffy was better than the series.

sloop.

Good lord! there are two of us? ;)

Actually there are three of us! Her indoors watches the series, over and over, but got hooked initially as I was watching the film for the third time.

Sloop.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2014, 05:31:15 AM »
Four and counting .....
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »
Five.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »
Five.

I always knew the people here had good taste :)