Author Topic: Hardware tests  (Read 23397 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Hardware tests
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 07:53:09 PM »
Don't forget Apollo 10. (Many people do)
Yes, don't forget Apollo 10. It was set up to mimic an actual landing flight as closely as possible without actually doing it. There was a "phasing maneuver" that set up the LM so that at staging and ascent ignition it could follow a trajectory like that of an actual landing as closely as possible.

Apollo 10 was also a way to gain flight experience while the LM was still being weight-reduced. The ascent propellant tanks were offloaded to compensate for the extra weight. Had they landed, which they could have done, they could not have returned to orbit. Yet the ascent propellant they did have was enough to send it out of lunar orbit and into a separate orbit around the sun, where it remains today.

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 08:09:13 PM »
It seems, this person doesn't know anything about the astronauts. The only important thing for him is, that all were active or former airforce pilots. I asked him about Jack Schmitt, he hasn't been aware that Schmitt was a scientist. That's the well known HBs' research skill.  ;D

Careful. Naval aviators such as Armstrong might object to being referred to as Air Force pilots.  8)

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »

Careful. Naval aviators such as Armstrong might object to being referred to as Air Force pilots.  8)

Ouch, you're right. Maybe I should use the term military pilots  :)
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 02:06:03 PM »
Except that Armstrong was no longer a military pilot when he flew as an astronaut. He left the Navy in the early 1960s.

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
Except that Armstrong was no longer a military pilot when he flew as an astronaut. He left the Navy in the early 1960s.
Okaaaaaaaaaaay. There were former and (then) active test pilots with military background.  8)
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 07:54:51 PM »
Just to be clear:  once a U.S. Naval or Marine aviator, always an aviator.  Civilians, the USAF, Army, Coast Guard are pilots.

Never military myself (so I'm a pilot), but my heart lies with the USN.

:)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 11:46:24 PM »
Yeah, every Apollo astronaut (including Skylab and ASTP) was a "pilot", even though some came from the Navy and about 1/3 of them didn't do any actual piloting at all. The LMPs on Apollos 7-17, the Science Pilots on Skylab, and the Docking Module Pilot on ASTP were really acting as flight engineers while the actual piloting was going on.

I think that was even the original term for that position until the astronauts objected.

"Flight engineer" would have been a less silly title than Lunar Module Pilot on Apollos 7 and 8, which carried no lunar modules.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:49:17 PM by ka9q »

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 01:02:20 AM »
The title was pretty silly anyway, I believe, as the commander piloted the LM.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 05:22:33 AM »
The title was pretty silly anyway, I believe, as the commander piloted the LM.
Right, and it's not as though the LMP had nothing at all to do on the way to and from the moon.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 02:11:38 PM »
Egos are funny things. It's like how they renamed the sizes on the condom catheters.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 11:04:27 PM »
Egos are funny things. It's like how they renamed the sizes on the condom catheters.
Yep, the infamous "Catholic condoms". Small, medium, and large became large, X-large, and XX-large.

In this list of artifacts left behind on the moon by Apollo 11, note items 50 and 51. Two large and two small urine collection device assemblies. I wonder who was the "bigger man", Neil or Buzz?  ;)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 11:21:19 PM »
Yep, the infamous "Catholic condoms". Small, medium, and large became large, X-large, and XX-large.

In this list of artifacts left behind on the moon by Apollo 11, note items 50 and 51. Two large and two small urine collection device assemblies. I wonder who was the "bigger man", Neil or Buzz?  ;)
I heard it straight from the horse's mouth as 'large, gigantic, and humongous'.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2014, 12:19:44 AM »
That's probably why they carried two of each -- so nobody would ever have to know.

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »

The answer is, "why should it have been?" 

It's part of the Hoaxers inability to learn. To them the idea of applying knowledge you learned from one tested scenario to another scenario is something impossible.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 02:42:22 PM »

Interesting one this

26. Medals Commemorating Two Dead Cosmonauts

One of these will be Vladimir Komorov who died in April 1967 when the parachute of his Soyuz 1 capsule failed after re-entrry. AFAIK no other cosmonauts were killed on missions before 1969, so I wonder who the second one was?

EDIT: OK, I think it was probably Yuri Gagarin, killed not in a spaceflight but a flight training accident in 1968.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:53:03 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.