Author Topic: Jarrah White  (Read 39863 times)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
Re: Jarrah White
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2015, 08:12:27 PM »
I have to ask a perhaps stupid question: The only Adam Savage I know about is partnered with a person resembling a whalrus. Is it him you refer to above?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2015, 08:17:39 PM »
I believe Luke referred to one of the myth busters.  I don't know if Jamie Hyneman is the walrus you are mentioning.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2015, 09:10:21 PM »
Yes.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2015, 01:48:53 AM »
I have to ask a perhaps stupid question: The only Adam Savage I know about is partnered with a person resembling a whalrus. Is it him you refer to above?

The Adam Savage I refer to is indeed the one from Mythbusters. Jarrah spent some time harrassing Adam and Phil Plait at TAM8, secretly recording them using a pen camera and spending his time stalking their every move. Jarrah came across as being an angry loner, and this was duly noted by both Adam and Phil, they dealt with him using some put downs. It was all rather amusing watching Jarrah take on a published PhD and a very smart and incisive TV celebrity. I would have been ashamed to post the footage if  had been slapped down in such a fashion. But no...  :o
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2015, 02:06:04 AM »
Yes. One of the requirements for being a hoax advocate is a complete lack of any sense of shame. That's in addition to a general cluelessness about physics, math, engineering, logic, human nature, etc.

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2015, 02:36:26 AM »
The Adam Savage I refer to is indeed the one from Mythbusters. Jarrah spent some time harrassing Adam and Phil Plait at TAM8, secretly recording them using a pen camera and spending his time stalking their every move. Jarrah came across as being an angry loner, and this was duly noted by both Adam and Phil, they dealt with him using some put downs. It was all rather amusing watching Jarrah take on a published PhD and a very smart and incisive TV celebrity. I would have been ashamed to post the footage if  had been slapped down in such a fashion. But no... 
Its me or this guy Jarrah seems to have some ego issues?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:08:58 AM by Gazpar »

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2015, 02:50:47 AM »
We generally do not make light of mental illness here. Some of us here do, in fact, grapple with such issues, and we're not JW. In my absolutely amateur opinion, I don't think anything Jarrah White does can really be categorized as such. Humans are quite capable of serious levels of self-delusion and ego without resorting to such an explanation.

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2015, 03:10:15 AM »
We generally do not make light of mental illness here. Some of us here do, in fact, grapple with such issues, and we're not JW. In my absolutely amateur opinion, I don't think anything Jarrah White does can really be categorized as such. Humans are quite capable of serious levels of self-delusion and ego without resorting to such an explanation.
Sorry, I have changed it.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2015, 06:34:28 AM »
I agree. You do not have to be suffering from any kind of mental health issues to be stupid.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2015, 08:08:50 AM »
Jarrah reminds me of a 5th grade classmate.  We were in the science part of the day, shortly after Sputnik 1, when my great teacher asked us "How can rockets put satellites into orbit?"(paraphrased because I can't remember the exact words almost 58 years ago).

Anyway I had watched everything I could concerning the satellite and raised my hand answering "it must overcome gravity".

My classmate raised his hand and said and said no it was inertial force that must be overcome.  The teacher put leashes on each of us and started a debate.  Sadly to say my limited amount of knowledge (science and debate skills)did not bring him up to speed. The teacher finally ended the debate in my favor, but he wasn't convinced with the idea.  Even later out of class he continued to argue the failed argument.  At least his excuse was being a 10 year old kid that hadn't been educated, yet.  I hope he changed his mind in the ensuing years.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2015, 12:15:16 AM »
Actually, both gravity and inertia must be overcome. Gravity to get the spacecraft into space, and inertia to keep it there by moving it horizontally so fast that the earth falls away before the spacecraft can fall back onto it.

Ignoring thrust, air drag and other perturbations, the sum of a satellite's kinetic and potential (gravitational) energy remains constant. In a circular orbit they are also individually constant, but in an elliptical orbit some of the energy moves back and forth between the two forms.

In a low earth orbit nearly all of the total (~95%) is in kinetic energy.

KE + PE = constant is true even for an open, hyperbolic 'escape' trajectory like that of the Pioneers, Voyagers and New Horizons as they leave the solar system. As they gain potential energy climbing out of the sun's gravity well, they slow down to lose an equal amount of kinetic energy.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 12:22:16 AM by ka9q »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2015, 08:55:28 AM »
Of course, but to we 5th graders the question was what must be overcome.  MUCH later in studies inertia was studied, and inertia of an object must be increased to achieve orbit, I seem to remember the integral if =  io + .5 * m * v2.  I guess one might infer an increase is an overcome.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2015, 06:54:26 PM »
The inertia is just the mass; you don't change it to achieve orbit but you do have to overcome it in the sense that you have to exert a force on it for some period of time, and that force is proportional to the mass.

You also overcome gravity by exerting a force proportional to the mass.

You've probably noticed that rockets lift off vertically, then gradually arc over until they're horizontal. So at the beginning you're mostly overcoming gravity, and then you transition entirely into overcoming inertia.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2015, 11:34:13 AM »
The inertia is just the mass; you don't change it to achieve orbit...

Although the rocket does end up changing mass as fuel is expended.  Think of it as pushing a heavy shopping cart while your toddler throws your purchases overboard.  You're overcoming inertia all the time, but it gets easier the farther you go.  Inertia per se doesn't behave like that, but rocket inertia does.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
The inertia is just the mass; you don't change it to achieve orbit...

Although the rocket does end up changing mass as fuel is expended.  Think of it as pushing a heavy shopping cart while your toddler throws your purchases overboard.  You're overcoming inertia all the time, but it gets easier the farther you go.  Inertia per se doesn't behave like that, but rocket inertia does.

Uphill to make the analogy work.....

Personally I'd throw the toddler overboard and make him/her toddle ;)