Author Topic: HBs, CTs, Deniers, Alien Apologists...  (Read 86929 times)

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
Re: HBs, CTs, Deniers, Alien Apologists...
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2015, 05:38:23 PM »
Being military myself, I thought that the book 'Starship Troopers' was great but thought that whilst the movie was basically true to the book, it completely corrupted the message.
I didn't read the book so I'll ask a question, what is/was the message of the book?

In a sentence, that participation in the political process should be limited to those who have demonstrated an ability to put the interests of society before their own.
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2015, 06:06:54 PM »
Being military myself, I thought that the book 'Starship Troopers' was great but thought that whilst the movie was basically true to the book, it completely corrupted the message.
I didn't read the book so I'll ask a question, what is/was the message of the book?

In a sentence, that participation in the political process should be limited to those who have demonstrated an ability to put the interests of society before their own.
Ok just like the movie then.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline sts60

• Mars
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2015, 08:46:10 PM »
Just like the movie?  We must have seen different versions.  The one I saw was apparently about underwear models milling around randomly on alien planets in a military style apparently designated "Brownian motion writ large".  Except when it showed spaceships, piloted by other underwear models, milling around randomly above alien planets.

I think the theme, beautifully brought out by the cast, was about Man's undying struggle to display more than one facial expression.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2015, 08:52:35 PM »
Just like the movie?  We must have seen different versions.  The one I saw was apparently about underwear models milling around randomly on alien planets in a military style apparently designated "Brownian motion writ large".  Except when it showed spaceships, piloted by other underwear models, milling around randomly above alien planets.

I think the theme, beautifully brought out by the cast, was about Man's undying struggle to display more than one facial expression.

LOL, ok you identified the movie, but to become a citizen one had to serve.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2015, 08:58:54 PM »
I think it's kind of amusing that, given that the book basically invented 'power armour', that the movie had them running around in gear on that a Vietnam vet would wince at.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2015, 09:08:23 PM »
I think it's kind of amusing that, given that the book basically invented 'power armour', that the movie had them running around in gear on that a Vietnam vet would wince at.
Electronic Kevlar?
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2015, 09:17:11 PM »
Electronic Kevlar?
More Iron Man, actually, assuming you mean what I think you mean.

Offline Humots

• Mercury
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2015, 09:39:56 PM »
Electronic Kevlar?

I have heard that the movie makers were afraid that including powered armor would have required an immense and risky investment in special effects.

That is, lots of expensive CG work that produced unrealistic results. 

I did see some sketches of powered armor in a "Starship Troopers" movie book.

Also, the Bugs in the movie would have gotten stomped.  The Bugs in the book had their own guns, nukes and star ships.

Too bad.  Heinlein did a great job of describing how the armor would work, and what wearing it would be like.  I was hoping to see some of that.

"It's not the things we don't know that hurt us, It's the things we do know that aren't so.”  --Artemus Ward

β€œIt never ceases to amaze me how utterly unintelligent a person can be and still believe they are somehow accomplishing something.”  --Interdimensional Warrior

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2015, 04:10:56 AM »
That's why I thought the message was corrupted. For example, "the hump". I don't think that was even mentioned. Anyone who has been turn from a civilian to a military person has gone through that.

Another thing were the "federal" messages in the movie; they sounded... fascist? Heinlein would have been rolling in his grave so rapidly it is a surprise that someone didn't try to run a dynamo off of him.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:14:12 AM by Obviousman »

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2015, 05:07:36 AM »
Electronic Kevlar?

I have heard that the movie makers were afraid that including powered armor would have required an immense and risky investment in special effects.

That is, lots of expensive CG work that produced unrealistic results. 

I did see some sketches of powered armor in a "Starship Troopers" movie book.

Also, the Bugs in the movie would have gotten stomped.  The Bugs in the book had their own guns, nukes and star ships.

Too bad.  Heinlein did a great job of describing how the armor would work, and what wearing it would be like.  I was hoping to see some of that.
Maybe, we can pray/hope if we ever get a reboot, we'll get that then. CGI wasn't up to the task then, but now? Now I could see it.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2015, 04:57:51 PM »
A lot can be done with practical effects. Just look at the powered exoskeleton forklift used in "Aliens".
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2015, 08:55:36 PM »
Last movie I watched in a theater was "The Hunt for Red October"

Book are better than movies, IMHO.

You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2015, 09:36:51 PM »
That's why I thought the message was corrupted. For example, "the hump". I don't think that was even mentioned. Anyone who has been turn from a civilian to a military person has gone through that.

Another thing were the "federal" messages in the movie; they sounded... fascist? Heinlein would have been rolling in his grave so rapidly it is a surprise that someone didn't try to run a dynamo off of him.

There is no doubt in my mind the society in the book was highly authoritarian and probably totalitarian.  Fascist?  The massive xenophobia and militarism certainly points that way. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 09:39:17 PM by Dalhousie »

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2015, 09:37:38 PM »
A lot can be done with practical effects. Just look at the powered exoskeleton forklift used in "Aliens".

Imperial Storm troopers too.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2015, 10:24:41 PM »

Imperial Storm troopers too.
The power armour of the Mobile Infantry was described looking like a steel "hydrocephalic gorilla" as well as flying, or at least jumping, with style, and don't forget the drop pods! I love practical effects too, and I would love seen them for certain shots, buuut I think CGI would have to do some heavy lifting, no pun intended but accepted with glee.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:27:59 PM by raven »