Author Topic: HBs, CTs, Deniers, Alien Apologists...  (Read 86916 times)

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
Re: HBs, CTs, Deniers, Alien Apologists...
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2015, 11:40:59 PM »
I saw a graphic on a message board today, and it inspired me to create my own for the Apollo Hoax community.

I think this perfectly sums up those HB, CT, and Deniers...

You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2015, 11:53:50 PM »
Pretty much sums it up perfectly.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2015, 01:50:32 AM »
Now, Forever War, that would be a good rip off.

I would love to see that as a movie. Could they do it?

Likewise the Foundation series.... though that would have to be done as a mini-series or the like. Far too much too fit into a single movie.

I expect they can. Problem will be bums on seats. As with any film venture, you may not like the end result, they made Avatar after all....... (mind you, they out did Crocodile Dundee)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2015, 04:13:49 AM »
Now, Forever War, that would be a good rip off.

I would love to see that as a movie. Could they do it?

Likewise the Foundation series.... though that would have to be done as a mini-series or the like. Far too much too fit into a single movie.

I expect they can. Problem will be bums on seats. As with any film venture, you may not like the end result, they made Avatar after all....... (mind you, they out did Crocodile Dundee)

Was Avatar a book? I never knew.

The graphic novel of The Forever War was apparently a good seller. Maybe I am just a Haldeman tragic. The Forever War, the Worlds series, The Long Habit of Living ("Buying Time" for US folks).... all great novels I'd love to see as movies.

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2015, 05:36:07 AM »
I saw a graphic on a message board today, and it inspired me to create my own for the Apollo Hoax community.

I think this perfectly sums up those HB, CT, and Deniers...

The basics of an HB circular argument in graphic form, well done! ;D
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2015, 05:38:00 AM »

No, Avatar was not based on a book although I believe there are going to be a series of books based on the film. Apparently, James Cameron has asked Sci-Fi author Steven Charles Gould (probably best known for the book Jumper which was made into a movie just a few years ago) to write four stand-alone novels that are to be set in the Avatar universe and will expand upon themes from the film.

However, the major premise of Avatar first appeared in a 1957 short story by Poul Anderson called "Call Me Joe"

Anderson's story is about an attempt to explore the surface of the planet Jupiter using remote-controlled artificial life-forms, and the main character is a disabled man who operates one of them... sound familiar?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:44:32 AM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2015, 07:51:06 AM »

Apologies, it was an example of a "meh" film with loads of effects. Imagine if it had a good plot/script behind it  ;)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2015, 08:35:35 AM »

Apologies, it was an example of a "meh" film with loads of effects. Imagine if it had a good plot/script behind it  ;)

I put Avatar in the same class as Prometheus, stories with great premises and great potential that were undone by over-emphasis on SFX and that degenerated into stock formula cheap thrillers.

Very disappointing. Both movies could have been so much more.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2015, 12:14:27 PM »
Anderson's story is about an attempt to explore the surface of the planet Jupiter using remote-controlled artificial life-forms, and the main character is a disabled man who operates one of them... sound familiar?

Huh.  So you take that, combine it shot-for-shot in places with Dances With Wolves (seriously--I watched Dances With Wolves not long after seeing Avatar, and there are places where he uses the exact same shot to establish the exact same mood), and make it all CGI, and you've got Avatar.  Which is routinely trotted out to me as an example of an original screenplay that's therefore so much better than a remake, an adaptation, or a comic book movie.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Al Johnston

• Earth
« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2015, 03:28:09 PM »
I rather liked the review of Avatar that called it "Dances with Smurfs" :D
"Cheer up!" they said. "It could be worse!" they said.
So I did.
And it was.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2015, 11:36:04 PM »

Huh.  So you take that, combine it shot-for-shot in places with Dances With Wolves (seriously--I watched Dances With Wolves not long after seeing Avatar, and there are places where he uses the exact same shot to establish the exact same mood), and make it all CGI, and you've got Avatar.  Which is routinely trotted out to me as an example of an original screenplay that's therefore so much better than a remake, an adaptation, or a comic book movie.

I thought it was just Pocahontas in Space

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2015, 12:56:58 AM »
Besides the whole theme issue, I'm kind of pissed that, despite all that CGI, the aliens weren't all that interesting. They were just stretched blue humans. They didn't even follow the six limb body plan the other beasties seen have. For comparison, every living land vertebrate on the planet follows the same four limb body plan, even if only very vestigially, like certain flightless birds.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2015, 02:15:30 AM »
Besides the whole theme issue, I'm kind of pissed that, despite all that CGI, the aliens weren't all that interesting. They were just stretched blue humans. They didn't even follow the six limb body plan the other beasties seen have. For comparison, every living land vertebrate on the planet follows the same four limb body plan, even if only very vestigially, like certain flightless birds.

Or, even more vestigially, snakes!

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2015, 02:41:25 AM »
Might as well gone with Star Trek's "Rhinoplasty of the Week".
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2015, 12:39:28 PM »
Coming back to the original intent of the thread...  (not that I'm making any statements here...  :o )

I've been working on a document containing straight questions intended to derail or limit hoaxers, and I've run into something I have no idea how to contend with.

I've been following another random thread on YT, and I've discovered this one fool who thinks he's a philosopher, in that he keeps coming back to what is seen, versus what is known. The thing that I don't get, and I can't understand how anyone would even think this, is that he keeps suggesting that the entire historic record, all of history, is fake, and that nothing can be known because no one saw everything with their own eyes, and even if they did, it can't be trusted, because the person reading the account wasn't a witness of the event.

In addition to the standard mobile goalposts, the handwaving, the flat ignoring of legit questions, and all the subtle reframing of the questions being posed, this guy is frustrating. Here's a brief excerpt of one of his posts:

Im not the one selling that the Apollo program happened.  Anyone who says it did happen needs to stump up with the evidence. The only question that is perhaps legitimate from your perspective might be, 'what is it about the evidence (that Apollo occurred the way it did) that you doubt'. Relying on 'historical fact' is idiotic.  All evidence, unless you witnessed it, is heresay. just so i can understand your position, what is this 'historical record of events' you speak of? What is it?

He clearly isn't interested in real discussion. He's been asked at least a half-dozen questions, all of which he's continually ignored, to come back with some other piece of irrelevant claim.

What would be a single-point response to someone who is intent on denying the entire historical record?
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...