Author Topic: HBs, CTs, Deniers, Alien Apologists...  (Read 86837 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Re: HBs, CTs, Deniers, Alien Apologists...
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »
You Tube... Those people are the very textbook definition of stupidly insane. And they won't do a thing about it...

I don't bother reading You Tube comments much because I don't want my brain to hurt, but from what I've seen I wouldn't so much call them stupidly insane, but perhaps obviously young, very foul-mouthed, and couldn't recognise or understand what an ad hominem is unless it somehow whipped their head forward, back and to the left and to the right a number of times. And above all, because of their age, they have far more ego than brains.

The last is probably the saddest and greatest affliction of all, perhaps because they won't do a thing about it. It causes untold problems and misery right up until, and sometimes even after, it's fixed.  :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:28:14 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2015, 10:27:33 AM »

I don't bother reading You Tube comments much because I don't want my brain to hurt, but from what I've seen I wouldn't so much call them stupidly insane, but perhaps obviously young, very foul-mouthed, and couldn't recognise or understand what an ad hominem is unless it somehow whipped their head forward, back, and to the left and right a number of times. And above all, because of their age, they have far more ego than brains.

The last is probably the saddest thing of all, perhaps because they won't do a thing about it. It causes untold problems and misery right up until, and sometime even after, it's fixed.  :)
I believe the same and they can't/won't accept science because they "know" the truth about everything they post videos.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2015, 10:56:33 AM »

Sorry about that. My web host decided to upgrade my server last night and it caused some issues. Everything should be back to normal now.

Not being in the business, but is renting a more efficient way to go instead of owning a server? 
Just asking. :)

If you have a NAS, you can host it at home with no extra cost.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2015, 10:59:43 AM »

Ok, now what is a NAS?  (Home server?)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2015, 11:22:58 AM »
Network Attached Storage - a box with harddrives in it, which can store files available for the home network, and able to run programmes such as webservers and fileservers and many other types of software.

Harddrives are usually arranged so that the failure of one drive won't affect the data on the entire system - the failing drive can be swapped with a fresh without losing data or interrupting service.

I have a Synology 1812+ as my main file storage and two others as backup for my photos.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Grashtel

• Venus
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2015, 12:00:35 PM »

Sorry about that. My web host decided to upgrade my server last night and it caused some issues. Everything should be back to normal now.

Not being in the business, but is renting a more efficient way to go instead of owning a server? 

Assuming that your ISP lets you without charging extra, which most don't on home level accounts
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it." -Florence Ambrose

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2015, 12:55:27 PM »
Wouldn't you also need a static IP?
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2015, 12:58:30 PM »

It depends on how technically inclined you are, how much time you want to spend managing the server, and how much traffic your site needs to be able to handle.

I am a server admin as part of my day job, so I could definitely handle the technical aspects of having my own server. But since I spend all day managing a server at work I can't (and dont want to) devote that much time to my own server. If it went down while I was at work it would stay down until I got home.

And since most people don't have T1 lines running right into their homes, heavy traffic would impact the speed of a home server.

So for around $100/year I get a server with decent capacity, and my own 24/7 support team. It's a bargain, as far as I'm concerned.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2015, 01:01:57 PM »

It depends on how technically inclined you are, how much time you want to spend managing the server, and how much traffic your site needs to be able to handle.

I am a server admin as part of my day job, so I could definitely handle the technical aspects of having my own server. But since I spend all day managing a server at work I can't (and dont want to) devote that much time to my own server. If it went down while I was at work it would stay down until I got home.

And since most people don't have T1 lines running right into their homes, heavy traffic would impact the speed of a home server.

So for around $100/year I get a server with decent capacity, and my own 24/7 support team. It's a bargain, as far as I'm concerned.

Seems fairly reasonable then.  Good choice, until they upgrade and forget to notify you!
Eugene Cernan

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2015, 01:08:29 PM »
Well, they did notify me, it just took longer than expected due to unforseen circumstances.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »

OK, hypothetically speaking, I have pretty good speed and unlimited bandwidth on my cell phone. It also has router functionality. And static IP. In theory, I could host all of this site using one of my various PCs and my phone as hub and router perfectly happily.

There are, however, downsides. It becomes my job to maintain the link integrity 24/7. There is no contractual guarantee of any continuous coverage on my cell phone. I can no longer take my cell phone out of my home. If the server needs a reboot, only I can do it. If the server needs a part replaced only I can do it. And so on through many headaches.

I will grant that you could kill some of those issues by using a land line for the purpose or cable but that only addresses partially the issues. For example, nobody gets an SLA with their cell or cable or landline which guarantees 99% or better uptime. The servers that I own and operate are indeed owned by me, but they are situated in a co-location facility which does indeed offer that facility and are quite willing to hand moolah back if they fail to perform as advertised.

The bottom line is that you could very well host a web server on your home network, there is no reason why not, technically. But why would you voluntarily invite all of that overhead into your home for no good reason when one can simply rent a surrogate headache bearer?

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2015, 06:35:56 AM »
Who do you host with? I've been looking for a decent hosting company...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 06:40:32 AM by Trebor »

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2015, 08:40:30 PM »
Who do you host with? I've been looking for a decent hosting company...

Sorry for not responding earlier. I have been using Lunar Pages since 2001, and I've always been happy with their service. And no, I'm not an employee... I was using this username before I found them. ;)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2015, 09:01:25 PM »

Sorry for not responding earlier. I have been using Lunar Pages since 2001, and I've always been happy with their service. And no, I'm not an employee... I was using this username before I found them. ;)
I read somewhere that the old system had some sort of issue and you had to re-build the posts.  Was it with them or an other server system?
Eugene Cernan

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2015, 09:10:04 PM »
I read somewhere that the old system had some sort of issue and you had to re-build the posts.  Was it with them or an other server system?

The original AH forum used a different host, I don't recall which. That was before I owned the forum. I don't really remember the exact cause of that problem... but yeah, I did have to spend some time trying to restore the database.