Author Topic: FAR SIDE OF THE MOON  (Read 141438 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: FAR SIDE OF THE MOON
« Reply #420 on: October 29, 2015, 12:34:08 PM »
Seems the link isn't working for some (ITS A CONSPIRACY!!!  ;) ;)  )

Try this one:
www.closr.it/canvas/6878
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #421 on: October 29, 2015, 12:38:45 PM »

Try this one:
www.closr.it/canvas/6878
Adrian and rodent breath are hacking into your system
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #422 on: October 29, 2015, 12:59:59 PM »

Try this one:
www.closr.it/canvas/6878

That is a gorgeous photo. How'd you make it?
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #423 on: October 29, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »

Thanks.  :)
18 individual panes stitched together. Each pane was something like the best 1000 out of 5000 frames, stacked together (so-called "lucky imaging") using an 11" Schmidt-Cassegrain C11 and a ZWO ASI 174 camera. I can't remember if I used a filter or not, but if I did it would have been a red longpass 610 nanometre or infra-red 742 nanometre filter. Either of those will filter out the shorter wavelengths which tend to get messed about from atmospheric turbulence. The longer wavelengths are much more resistant to the effects of poor seeing.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #424 on: October 29, 2015, 02:18:50 PM »

18 individual panes stitched together. Each pane was something like the best 1000 out of 5000 frames, stacked together (so-called "lucky imaging") using an 11" Schmidt-Cassegrain C11 and a ZWO ASI 174 camera. I can't remember if I used a filter or not, but if I did it would have been a red longpass 610 nanometre or infra-red 742 nanometre filter. Either of those will filter out the shorter wavelengths which tend to get messed about from atmospheric turbulence. The longer wavelengths are much more resistant to the effects of poor seeing.

You can see Hadley! And Taurus-Littrow!

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #425 on: October 29, 2015, 02:28:26 PM »

I can see the Hadley mountain range, but not the rill :-[
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #426 on: October 29, 2015, 02:58:16 PM »

[thread drift]
I keep meaning to image the Apollo landing regions, but time, weather and lunar phases always seem to conspire against me. Maybe a project for this winter?

I can get in a bit nearer if I up the focal length by using a Barlow lens. The panes in the big image were captured at 2.8metre focal length.
In good seeing, I can get semi-decent results (I live at sea-level which is about as bad a place to get for this game)...I can just about make out the rille running along Vallis Alpes in this one

In really good seeing I can use a 2.5 Barlow lens to get me to about 7 metres focal length. The small crater on the left-hand wall of Copernicus is just under 3km in diameter.

[/thread drift]

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #427 on: October 29, 2015, 03:07:28 PM »
Hadley Rille can be seen in this one:

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #428 on: October 29, 2015, 03:10:03 PM »
Hadley Rille can be seen in this one:

Now that one I am able to see.
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #429 on: October 29, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »
Fabulous photos!

Oh, and I said I could see Hadley, I never mentioned the rille ;)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #430 on: October 29, 2015, 03:31:11 PM »
Beautiful photos

[said it before]

It makes me think 'if the CTs invested their effort in the beauty and reality of Apollo, how richer their lives would be.'

[/said it before]
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #431 on: October 29, 2015, 03:38:52 PM »
Fabulous photos!

There is something else besides the rille, named Hadley?
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #432 on: October 29, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »
Fabulous photos!

There is something else besides the rille, named Hadley?

Mons :D

@Luke - I have a similar view about aliens, ufos and other such daftness - the universe is amazing enough as it is, I don't need to sprinkle fairy dust on it.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #433 on: October 29, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »
@Luke - I have a similar view about aliens, ufos and other such daftness - the universe is amazing enough as it is, I don't need to sprinkle fairy dust on it.

That's a good way of putting it. I never quite understood Ralph Rene and his desire to 'prove' Einstein wrong. The physics of special and general relativity is mind blowing and explains so much of our Universe.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #434 on: October 29, 2015, 04:34:13 PM »

That's a good way of putting it. I never quite understood Ralph Rene and his desire to 'prove' Einstein wrong. The physics of special and general relativity is mind blowing and explains so much of our Universe.

To be great and do great things you not only have to dedicate yourself to education, hard work and critical review by your peers you also have to be intelligent and in Einstein's case, a genius. It's far easier to make up some nonsense and convince a few similarly-minded sycophants. Creating a YouTube video is a darn sight easier than a PHD thesis. Plus, it's a far easier way to make a buck or two. You only have to look at Mormonism, Scientology, Sibrel, Rene, Percy, Marcus Allen, The Blunder and others for evidence of that...