Author Topic: FAR SIDE OF THE MOON  (Read 148070 times)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
Re: FAR SIDE OF THE MOON
« Reply #315 on: October 25, 2015, 03:36:01 PM »
To be fair to Tarkus, he didn't originally post the image (see P6) and I don't believe he thinks it's correct.  His inability to manage message quotes properly made it end up looking like he's posted it.

He does have some strange ideas but, I think he probably does have a basic understanding of astronomy.  Beyond that however...

Thanks for that clarification. My mistake for not following the thread properly. In fairness to tarkus, I retract my previous post.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #316 on: October 25, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
To be fair to Tarkus, he didn't originally post the image (see P6) and I don't believe he thinks it's correct.

Okay, I'll buy that interpretation.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #317 on: October 25, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
I started this commentary piece.  I also described why tarkus posting it, de facto indicates that he endorses/believes it
And this lend to to the comment does he ever look at what he's posting or think about what he is posting.
Luke I believe was trying to make it simple for tarkus to understand why I said
This is by far the stupidest post you have made how is the Sun 93 million miles from the earth pass between the Earth and Moon 239000 miles away? Do you ever read or think about your posts?, Or do you just go to a hoax web page and start copying?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #318 on: October 25, 2015, 03:53:37 PM »
Guys, I'm used to being ignored by the HBs, but I pointed out in post 292 that Tarkus hadn't been the one to initially post that image.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #319 on: October 25, 2015, 04:04:59 PM »

You are correct in post#75
This thread keeps making me think of this:

Guys, I'm used to being ignored by the HBs, but I pointed out in post 292 that Tarkus hadn't been the one to initially post that image.

never to ignore you!
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #320 on: October 25, 2015, 05:02:40 PM »
Oops! Sorry Gillian, I missed that.  (It is a quite a busy thread though...)
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #321 on: October 25, 2015, 05:03:43 PM »
Man, I got a lot of mileage out of that post!

I own the Tom Weller book. I was very pleased to see that it is freely distributable on pdf as well as readable online. Of course I'd prefer for him to be making money off it, but having it available to new readers is a Good Thing.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #322 on: October 25, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »
Man, I got a lot of mileage out of that post!

I own the Tom Weller book. I was very pleased to see that it is freely distributable on pdf as well as readable online. Of course I'd prefer for him to be making money off it, but having it available to new readers is a Good Thing.
Chock full of laugh out loud moments, I'm surprised it didn't get a reprint. I could potentially organise a reprint at cost if I had any contact with him and a wee bit of market research. I have a mate who does short run digital print.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #323 on: October 25, 2015, 06:45:10 PM »
It's quirky all right. :o I really didn't notice the image, just glancing at it without really looking, thinking it another 'Let's try educating tarkus' post.' Only later did I really read it, and it cracked me up pretty well. ;D

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #324 on: October 25, 2015, 07:07:22 PM »
Sorry, but I have to return to post #1, since I didn't see anyone mention this -

Even though the official version insists that we believe in the scientific spirit of those who planned the monumental scam of Apolo, the truth is that this "exploring spirit" failed miserably when it was time to overfly the moon. ........   Apollo didn't even show enthusiasm about cartographing the surface in detail. In fact, the lack of detailed images of the dark side is pathetic, with just this picture, that was allegedly taken by the Apollo 16 in 1972:

Image URL - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4f/Back_side_of_the_Moon_AS16-3021.jpg/800px-Back_side_of_the_Moon_AS16-3021.jpg

The picture you included, Tarkus, is the only one on wikimedia - AS16-M-3021

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Back_side_of_the_Moon_AS16-3021.jpg

It's just blatant falsehood to suggest, as you did, that it's the only one.....   Did you consider why it is numbered 3021? Did you ask yourself where numbers 3000 to 3020 are?

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/apollo/catalog/metric/mission/?16

Quote; "The Apollo 16 mission carried a mapping (metric) camera located in the SIM Bay of the Command Service Module. A total of 3480 black & white images were taken of which 2491 were considered usable"

So that's AS16-M-0027 through to AS16-M-3440 - all dedicated to mapping, many of which cover the far side of the Moon.

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #325 on: October 25, 2015, 07:15:59 PM »
It's quirky all right. :o I really didn't notice the image, just glancing at it without really looking, thinking it another 'Let's try educating tarkus' post.' Only later did I really read it, and it cracked me up pretty well. ;D
The mockery goes right to the very end.

This book set in Monotone Bimbo

or the acclaim at the end

I'd love this book, except that I'm dead. - Roger Bacon

No, no, you've misattributed that quote. I'm the one who said it. - Francis Bacon

You have to love it.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:17:56 PM by Abaddon »

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #326 on: October 25, 2015, 07:53:09 PM »

Whoops, how rude of us. Sorry!
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #327 on: October 25, 2015, 08:15:28 PM »
The mockery goes right to the very end.

This book set in Monotone Bimbo

or the acclaim at the end

I'd love this book, except that I'm dead. - Roger Bacon

No, no, you've misattributed that quote. I'm the one who said it. - Francis Bacon

You have to love it.
Heh, I downloaded the eBook. It's certainly something! ;D

Offline tarkus

• Venus
« Reply #328 on: October 25, 2015, 08:29:31 PM »
I'm not whining, when I say that I am only against a dozen and speak the language problem is in response to your complaints that I'm not responding. CSM regarding the lunar module, it is possible that it is an error of judgment on my part, because of not being able to prove my point, I decided not to continue discussing this.
Finally, the reason for choosing this English-speaking forum to discuss these issues is because I have not found any Spanish-speaking people who know much about a subject as here, appreciate and value the knowledge and ability displayed by some users this forum, because they can learn things and correct errors, for example the case of CSM. And Jay is right when he says it was a mistake to open as many threads would have been better to exhaust first, sorry.

With respect to gif Pluto, it is assumed that these images are obtained by the probe as it approaches the planet, having said that, I disagree with the argument of the distance, a distant object should be small, but as it approaches should be growing in size, it makes no sense to publish blur and even pixilated, especially if one wants to try something ... a blurred pebble and black background manufactures anyone in awhile on the PC.

I would read the answer to my previous contribution on the far side of the moon, adding more doubt ... how far away the moon this picture was taken?

I do not know if this image was obtained by the CSM as it orbited the Moon or LM, in any case limited to the height at which they were traveling could not portray the Moon in full size. The image mosaic part this photo suggests that the spacecraft moved away from the satellite, which would be right for the return trip, but the problem is that it is the opposite side of the Moon, traveled in the opposite direction Earth for this picture? and what happens with the date of April 25, with the return to Earth just two days later? all this seems at odds with the flight plan released NASA.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:31:16 PM by tarkus »

Offline Paul

• Venus
« Reply #329 on: October 25, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »
for the Pluto gif you have to remember that until this year, the best image anyone had was comprised of 3x3 pixels. So yes, upscaling that looks a bit messy but if you look at the fifth image in the sequence, then even from those few pixels they did a remarkable job of predicting surface features particularly the 'heart'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:55:14 PM by Paul »