Author Topic: Hardware tests  (Read 22236 times)

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
Hardware tests
« on: November 04, 2014, 01:55:16 PM »
Some days ago I was involved in a debate with two HBs. One of them asked me, why NASA never had launched probes with animals to the Moon, similar to the sowjet Zond 5. Because NASA did not do this, Apollo must be faked.  ???

My response to him was: Probes with animals didn't deliver enough data about the environment. Probes with several kinds of sensors can provide actual data about kind of radiation, dosis, flux etc.

The other HB said, the LM ascent stage wasn't tested on Moon. I've heard that one of the Surveyor probes did an ascent on the lunar surface, without launching but getting back to the surface.

Now I want to know: Is my response about the probes accurate? And can anybody tell me about this test with the Surveyor probe?
Nice words aren't always true and true words aren't always nice - Laozi

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: Hardware tests
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 02:11:39 PM »
From the Wikipedia article

Surveyor 6 was the first spacecraft planned to lift off from the Moon's surface. Surveyor 3 was the first spacecraft to unintentionally liftoff from the Moon's surface, which it did twice, due to an anomaly with Surveyor's Landing Radar which did not shut off the vernier engines but kept them firing throughout the first touchdown, and after it. Apollo 12's Lunar Module Intrepid landed 600 feet from Surveyor 3, as planned. Surveyor 3's TV and telemetry systems were found to have been damaged by its unplanned landings and liftoffs.

The other HB said, the LM ascent stage wasn't tested on Moon.

The answer is, "why should it have been?"  What would have been learned that wasn't already know from ground tests and the the previous two flight tests?  Apollo 11 was a test flight and every test flight program has an initial landing and takeoff. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 02:15:27 PM by Echnaton »
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 02:16:33 PM »
In a further test of space technology, Surveyor 6's engines were restarted and burned for 2.5 seconds in the first lunar liftoff on November 17 at 10:32 UTC. This created 150 lbf (700 N) of thrust and lifted the vehicle 12 feet (4 m) from the lunar surface. After moving west 8 feet, (2.5 m) the spacecraft once again successfully soft landed and continued functioning as designed.

From the Surveyor 6 wiki article.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 02:23:08 PM »

The answer is, "why should it have been?"  What would have been learned that wasn't already know from ground tests and the the previous two flight tests?  Apollo 11 was a test flight and every test flight program has an initial landing and takeoff.

This is one of expattwatty's favourite circular arguments. Even a 747 or Concorde had a maiden take off and landings, there has to be a first time for all these things. But the LM was a first in that it was purely designed for work in a vacuum and a 1/6 G environment.

Another favourite is to get photographs from the LOLA project and claim this is how NASA faked the video of the Lunar Landings.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 02:24:47 PM »
From the Wikipedia article

Surveyor 6 was the first spacecraft planned to lift off from the Moon's surface. Surveyor 3 was the first spacecraft to unintentionally liftoff from the Moon's surface, which it did twice, due to an anomaly with Surveyor's Landing Radar which did not shut off the vernier engines but kept them firing throughout the first touchdown, and after it. Apollo 12's Lunar Module Intrepid landed 600 feet from Surveyor 3, as planned. Surveyor 3's TV and telemetry systems were found to have been damaged by its unplanned landings and liftoffs.

Thank you, this was the deatil I've been looking for  :)

And you're right, my answer was similar to your counterquestion and to fact, that Apollo 11 was the final test. But I wanted to have some solid arguments, that the ascend procedure was known.

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »
In a further test of space technology, Surveyor 6's engines were restarted and burned for 2.5 seconds in the first lunar liftoff on November 17 at 10:32 UTC. This created 150 lbf (700 N) of thrust and lifted the vehicle 12 feet (4 m) from the lunar surface. After moving west 8 feet, (2.5 m) the spacecraft once again successfully soft landed and continued functioning as designed.

From the Surveyor 6 wiki article.

Thanks a lot, this was the detail I've been looking for.  :)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 12:24:40 AM »
Apollo 11 was a test flight and every test flight program has an initial landing and takeoff.

Exactly. Had the LM failed while attempting the moon it would have been like any other test flight that had failed, except for the rather morbid scenario that Neil and Buzz would not have been recovered.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »

Don't forget Apollo 10. (Many people do)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 10:41:56 AM »
Apollo 11 was a test flight and every test flight program has an initial landing and takeoff.

Exactly. Had the LM failed while attempting the moon it would have been like any other test flight that had failed, except for the rather morbid scenario that Neil and Buzz would not have been recovered.

The whole world was watching, which would have made it (ascent failure) a major event, but test flight is by its nature a dangerous profession. I don't remember the exact number, but several pilots lost their lives over the high desert while we were trying to figure out hypersonic aerodynamics.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 11:59:59 AM »

Don't forget Apollo 10. (Many people do)

I know what you mean, but this wasn't meant by the HB. He was insisting, that there hadn't been any launch test of the ascent stage from the lunar surface. But he (and me either) didn't know about Surveyor 6.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »
And also Apollo 5 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_5

Other people have already said as much, but really you can test and test in any environment you like, sooner or later the only way to test if an astronaut can land on the moon is land an astronaut on the moon. Likewise returning him safely to Earth.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 02:45:04 PM »
Ask him what part of "test pilot" he doesn't understand.

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 02:49:49 PM »

It seems, this person doesn't know anything about the astronauts. The only important thing for him is, that all were active or former airforce pilots. I asked him about Jack Schmitt, he hasn't been aware that Schmitt was a scientist. That's the well known HBs' research skill.  ;D

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 03:29:01 PM »

It seems, this person doesn't know anything about the astronauts. The only important thing for him is, that all were active or former airforce pilots. I asked him about Jack Schmitt, he hasn't been aware that Schmitt was a scientist. That's the well known HBs' research skill.  ;D

If they had research skills, their hoax belief should come crashing down due to cognitive dissonance.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Dr.Acula

• Mars
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »

If they had research skills, their hoax belief should come crashing down due to cognitive dissonance.

I couldn't say it better.  :)