Author Topic: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ  (Read 51691 times)

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
Re: Terminating membership at BAUT/CQ
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2013, 10:12:36 AM »
Yes.  I find it tiring to read people bitch about a situation that they're voluntarily putting themselves into.  If it's so bad over there, just stop going.

As pointed out, you needn't subject yourself to such a discussion if you don't like it.

It's not the bitching per se that bothers me.  It that fact that people are bitching about something that they keep voluntarily going back to.  It's like somebody beating their head against a wall and then complaining that it hurts.  I have no no sympathy for someone when the solution to the problem is to simply stop doing it.

So they should just quietly and meekly abandon a forum with no objection when the administration starts to go off the rails? Some "solution".

Offline Selfsim

• Mercury
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »
Well, hi there folks!  :)

I was watching from afar, so I thought I might drop in and say 'hello'.
Not speaking personally, but it would seem "The Thrill is Gone" at CQ, eh?
The question is … "Was it absolutely necessary to deliberately kill it?"

Cheers

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2013, 10:47:44 PM »
I have now seen one individual twice state that Dwight made a threat to post a lot of bad language.  Here is this "threat", in context.

I find this forum too repressive for my liking. I have not posted here in 2 years except to criticise the overzelaous moderation. I would like to terminate my membership but cannot find the means to do so. Please supply the appropriate methods so that I can carry out the procedure as soon and as painless as possible. I have no desire to post a plethora of swear words in order to be banned.

The characterisation of this as a "threat" came from a former moderator, so I wonder if when people have been suspended or banned for making "threats", it was done so under this rather expansive definition.
The internet - where bigfoot is real and the moon landings aren't.

Offline ChrLz

• Earth
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2013, 01:05:31 AM »
That would be the same person who said Dwight had been "insulting" (twice over mind you!!) with his comments about the forum being repressive and that the moderation is over-zealous..  Which is exactly what Jay Utah and others have said, but from Dwight they are 'insults'?

Toughen up, I say.  (While pointing out the delicious irony, or is it hypocrisy..?)

I note that the smarm (I'm being kind) continues, eg this gem:
Oh good grief... It's a passive-aggressive, childish little display of attention seeking.
..from Buttercup of all people, and obviously ok with the mod's..

Oh well.

I just point to the 'success' they are having with the Conspiracy Theory forum there, which now appears to be floundering.  No posts since 19 Feb.  Of the 25 or so posts in all of February, 3 were to close threads and several were from one sockpuppet...  Maybe it's just a temporary downturn, and it's not like the CT and ATM forums are given much priority over there.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2013, 02:45:55 AM »
I note that the smarm (I'm being kind) continues, eg this gem:
Oh good grief... It's a passive-aggressive, childish little display of attention seeking.
..from Buttercup of all people, and obviously ok with the mod's..

Oh well.

I've always found the definition of an insult to be rather flexible there.

I also find the board quite flexible regarding evidentiary standards.  Some claims must be proven, others are to be accepted by default, without any evidence at all, unless someone proves them wrong.  Although it's not the only board where I've observed that.

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2013, 11:55:40 AM »
I've always found the definition of an insult to be rather flexible there.

Personally, I find many of the statements of the present and former forum administrators and moderators in that thread to be unprofessional and insulting to the entire membership, and a clear demonstration that Dwight's departure was not just some attention-seeking flounce.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2013, 06:05:17 PM »
And what exactly is .. 'it'?

Going back to Cosmoquest (or whatever it is called now) knowing full well that you're going to get pissed off by the moderation.

As has been pointed out by others, that is a tad ironic.

Why?  I'm not putting myself into a situation that's pissing me off.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:08:09 PM by Bob B. »

Offline cjameshuff

• Mars
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2013, 08:23:03 PM »
Why?  I'm not putting myself into a situation that's pissing me off.

It's one that's at least "tiring" enough to make you complain about it. I'd say the situation instead being bad enough to "piss you off" would actually make complaining more reasonable.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2013, 09:51:22 PM »
Why don't we organise by thread?

We could have a thread complaining about BAUT/CQ.

Then we could have another thread complaining about the complaining.

Then we could have a third thread complaining that those complaining about the complaining shouldn't be complaining.

The we could have a fourth thread complaining about that.

I don't think it has gone to a fifth level yet, but maybe I just didn't notice.

In fact, we could just rededicate the whole board to this theme.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2013, 01:04:52 AM »
It's one that's at least "tiring" enough to make you complain about it. I'd say the situation instead being bad enough to "piss you off" would actually make complaining more reasonable.

I think you’re missing the point.  If you read what I wrote in post #55 you’ll see that I don’t have a problem with complaining per se.  Everyone complains about something every now and then, just as I did.  I just find it odd that people keep going back to the source of the frustration/aggravation and then come here to complain about it.

Suppose that you have a friend that keeps going to a restaurant that is notorious for having bad service, and every time he goes he complains to you about the bad experience.  Surely the first couple times it’s no big deal, but after hearing the complaints time after time, don’t you think you’ve earned the right to say to your friend, “Look, if the service is so bad, just stop going.  But if you do return, knowing what the service is like, please don’t complain to me about it”?

As pointed out, you needn't subject yourself to such a discussion if you don't like it.

I’m not reading nor discussing any of the posts complaining about Cosmoquest moderation.  I’m discussing the act of complaining about Cosmoquest moderation.  There’s a difference.  Until Echnaton introduced the topic, I was not a participant.

So they should just quietly and meekly abandon a forum with no objection when the administration starts to go off the rails?

You can certainly object but, in the end, it’s not your forum.  If you don’t like the way those in charge run it, then a prudent course of action would be to stop participating.

Some "solution".

So your solution it to complain in this forum?

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2013, 04:09:37 AM »
Suppose that you have a friend that keeps going to a restaurant that is notorious for having bad service, and every time he goes he complains to you about the bad experience.  Surely the first couple times it’s no big deal, but after hearing the complaints time after time, don’t you think you’ve earned the right to say to your friend, “Look, if the service is so bad, just stop going.  But if you do return, knowing what the service is like, please don’t complain to me about it”?

I suspect you're going to have that one tossed right back at you, but I'll let someone else do the tossing.

You can certainly object but, in the end, it’s not your forum.  If you don’t like the way those in charge run it, then a prudent course of action would be to stop participating.

I believe that's exactly what the person who started this thread plans to do.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:16:15 AM by Megalonychidae »

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2013, 10:37:58 AM »

I suspect you're going to have that one tossed right back at you, but I'll let someone else do the tossing.

Why?  I complained exactly once in direct response to something posted by Echnaton.  Since then I've only responded to questions and comments directed specifically at me, which is what I'm suppose to do, is it not?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:02:52 AM by Bob B. »

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2013, 11:09:48 AM »
Geeze, we are still talking about this? If one somehow can not simply resist the urge to post, ask a moderator to ban your account.
Frankly, the whole thing comes across as very childish, and that saddens me greatly.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »
Geeze, we are still talking about this? If one somehow can not simply resist the urge to post, ask a moderator to ban your account.

I think that's more or less what the OP did, although not quite for the reason you cite.

Offline Not Myself

• Earth
  • Unwanted Irritant
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »
Why?  I complained exactly once in direct response to something posted by Echnaton.  Since then I've only responded to questions and comments directed specifically at me, which is what I'm suppose to do, is it not?

I guess we have a different system of counting, but no matter, I'm taking your advice.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:45:30 PM by Megalonychidae »