Author Topic: Quora  (Read 17492 times)

Offline Drewid

• Venus
Quora
« on: August 25, 2015, 03:08:28 AM »
Quora seems to have a low level of HB presence, Mostly the same-old-same-old, (no stars, fluttering flag) but there are a couple of interesting characters.

There's a wonderfully hardcore Jack White desciple, who does an amusing line in comedy insults:
http://www.quora.com/How-many-photos-were-taken-on-the-surface-of-the-moon-during-the-six-Apollo-missions/answer/Ken-ONeill-3/comment/12303503

and another who is at least asking for math
http://www.quora.com/Did-the-Lunar-Module-of-Apollo-11-have-enough-technology-and-propelling-system-on-board-to-dock-with-the-Command-Module-in-lunar-orbit/answer/Drew-Northcott/comment/12496925?__snids__=1306226010&__nsrc__=4#comment12496925

I've not done any math like this but it doesn't look too tricky. The thing I'm not sure about is the energy density of the fuel and the volume of the tanks and how that relates to the specific impulse. 

I'm quite happy to admit it's a bit beyond me without some help,  that sort of thing isn't my field really.  Anyone want to join in?

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Quora
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 04:49:46 AM »

http://www.quora.com/Did-the-Lunar-Module-of-Apollo-11-have-enough-technology-and-propelling-system-on-board-to-dock-with-the-Command-Module-in-lunar-orbit/answer/Drew-Northcott/comment/12496925?__snids__=1306226010&__nsrc__=4#comment12496925

Its the old argument from disbelief in action though; "The fuel storage units look remarkably human sized, and therefore it seems that it could barely push the lunar module up a few hundred meters". I can't understand, and won't make any effort to understand, therefore it must be fake.  Throwing maths at a person like this is useless because 1) they won't understand them; 2) they won't admit to their lack of understanding; 3)they are trying to make you do the hard work, which they invariably will hand-wave away due to points 1 and 2.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:49:20 AM »

I've not done any math like this but it doesn't look too tricky. The thing I'm not sure about is the energy density of the fuel and the volume of the tanks and how that relates to the specific impulse. 

I'm quite happy to admit it's a bit beyond me without some help,  that sort of thing isn't my field really.  Anyone want to join in?

Bob B. has a webpage that gives most of the information for A17, along with the calculations.

http://www.braeunig.us/apollo/LM-ascent.htm
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 11:55:52 AM »
I'm agog at the regurgitation of the 'photographs on the footpad' nonsense.

How can he not see the large piece of foil in the background that is gold on one side and silvery on the other?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 12:00:26 PM »
I'm agog at the regurgitation of the 'photographs on the footpad' nonsense.

How can he not see the large piece of foil in the background that is gold on one side and silvery on the other?
It was Jack, what more need any rational person say.

EDIT:  It looks to me like the "head" of the man is actually a reflection of the LM leg.  And Jack "couldn't understand" why NASA never wrote back!!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 12:04:17 PM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 02:32:17 PM »
Bob B. has a webpage that gives most of the information for A17, along with the calculations.

That article was written specifically to debunk the "the fuel tanks look too small to me so it must be fake" argument.  It is by no means a new claim.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 04:08:04 PM »

That article was written specifically to debunk the "the fuel tanks look too small to me so it must be fake" argument.  It is by no means a new claim.

These are all very common memes of the Apollo Hoax / Ancient Aliens / Junk Archaeology / NASA fakery community
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 04:27:35 PM »
I've seen him on UFO/Ancient aliens programs.  But I didn't listen that close nor pay attention to his claims.  I put him right in line with Stanton Friedman. ::)
Eugene Cernan

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 06:41:47 PM »
I can't bring myself to watch Ancient Aliens.  It only takes about 10 minutes before I want to start throwing stuff at the TV.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 07:38:52 PM »
I can't bring myself to watch Ancient Aliens.  It only takes about 10 minutes before I want to start throwing stuff at the TV.
Exactly, that's why I don't remember this guys name, but the hair do is a dead give away.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 07:47:25 PM »

Well, you should try watching "America Unearthed". In it, the host Scott Wolter (a self proclaimed "Indiana Jones" type character) travels the length and breadth of America, unearthing supposed legends, myths, stories and artefacts and reaching extraordinary, and far-fetched conclusions from the  flimsiest of evidence, and sometimes, from no evidence at all.

When I first saw the programme a few episodes into Season 1, I made the mistake of taking it seriously, but when I couldn't see how he came to some if his conclusions I decided to do a bit of on-line research, and came across a guy called Jason Colovito, a debunker of junk science and revisionist history. It didn't take long for me to realise that I had been fooled, and realised that "America Unearthed" was just junk archaeology of the worst kind.

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/america-unearthed.html

I have now become a regular reader of Jason's blog. He is to Junk Archaeology what Jay is to Apollo Hoax Belief, and Phil Plait is to Junk Science; a voice of reason in an ocean of stupid!

ETA: handy hint

If you see either of these two people interviewed in a TV programme you are watching, you can pretty much stop right there..

If you see this person being interviewed, then proceed with caution and a large pinch of salt.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:20:04 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 08:58:15 PM »
Exactly, that's why I don't remember this guys name, but the hair do is a dead give away.

be careful not to get him mixed up with this guy

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:45:27 PM by smartcooky »

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 09:13:31 PM »
Ze ambassador for ze Centauri Republic iz most offended to be compared to zat, zat foolish human!
For one, ve are much snazzier dressers!

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 09:16:45 PM »

^^^ This dude. ::)

I saw a few episodes of a show he use to be in, UFO Hunters, I think.  It was always the same thing.  They'd go out and investigate an alleged UFO incident, find absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support the story, and his final conclusion would be... "Since we found no evidence to disprove it, it's still possible it really happened."

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 09:27:11 PM »

be careful not to get him mixed up with this guy

Oh come on now my eyes aren't that BAD.
Eugene Cernan