Author Topic: HBs, CTs, Deniers, Alien Apologists...  (Read 86792 times)

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
Re: HBs, CTs, Deniers, Alien Apologists...
« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »
I read somewhere that the old system had some sort of issue and you had to re-build the posts.  Was it with them or an other server system?

The original AH forum used a different host, I don't recall which. That was before I owned the forum. I don't really remember the exact cause of that problem... but yeah, I did have to spend some time trying to restore the database.
The cause was someone filing a request with the provider and having all of their posts deleted by the provider without notice. Can't remember who that was. Playdor? Dakdak?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2015, 02:14:11 PM »

The cause was someone filing a request with the provider and having all of their posts deleted by the provider without notice. Can't remember who that was. Playdor? Dakdak?

What did he do, come to his senses and want to rid all the ignorant evidence?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2015, 09:46:47 PM »
I read somewhere that the old system had some sort of issue and you had to re-build the posts.  Was it with them or an other server system?

The original AH forum used a different host, I don't recall which. That was before I owned the forum. I don't really remember the exact cause of that problem... but yeah, I did have to spend some time trying to restore the database.

I think bknight is referring to the problem that the original AH forum (ver. 1.0) had that lead to me becoming involved. The problem you're referring to was with the ProBoards forum (AH ver. 2.0) that lead to me creating this forum (AH ver. 3.0).

Here is the thread on the ProBoards forum starting with the discovery that Playdor had deleted his posts: http://apollohoax.proboards.com/post/98396/thread
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2015, 07:18:50 AM »

I think bknight is referring to the problem that the original AH forum (ver. 1.0) had that lead to me becoming involved. The problem you're referring to was with the ProBoards forum (AH ver. 2.0) that lead to me creating this forum (AH ver. 3.0).

Here is the thread on the ProBoards forum starting with the discovery that Playdor had deleted his posts: http://apollohoax.proboards.com/post/98396/thread
Is that a feature of all forums?  Was that a feature is the original forum only?  It seems like it would be a Super Administrator.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2015, 09:01:09 AM »
The original forum used the YABB forum software (which was a predecessor of the phpBB software). The issue that I helped with was probably just a technical glitch, but it could have been hacked.

The issue with the Proboards forum was that there was a super admin (an employee of Proboards) who decided that deleting all of the posts made by a troll without even informing me was okay.

Never use one of those free forum provider services because you give up too much control to some else. A troll can seriously damage or even shutdown a forum by going over your head to the service provider.

Any forum will normally allow users to delete posts, but not after they have been banned. But with Proboards all you have to do is make a request with one of their employees, and then without any sort of investigation... poof... hundreds of posts just disappear.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2015, 04:09:19 PM »

The issue with the Proboards forum was that there was a super admin (an employee of Proboards) who decided that deleting all of the posts made by a troll without even informing me was okay.

Never use one of those free forum provider services because you give up too much control to some else. A troll can seriously damage or even shutdown a forum by going over your head to the service provider.

Any forum will normally allow users to delete posts, but not after they have been banned. But with Proboards all you have to do is make a request with one of their employees, and then without any sort of investigation... poof... hundreds of posts just disappear.
I don't understand the inner workings of the forum, but deleting posts shouldn't make the forum collapse.  Don't all the posts reside in a database of sorts.  Deletion should affect those records that were deleted but not the whole Db.  Anyway I do understand the pay/free nature now.
Eugene Cernan

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »
I don't understand the inner workings of the forum, but deleting posts shouldn't make the forum collapse.  Don't all the posts reside in a database of sorts.  Deletion should affect those records that were deleted but not the whole Db.

I think you're getting two separate events mixed up, so I will try explaining the history of the forum again in a bit more detail.

There have been three separate Apollo Hoax forums, on three separate servers:

1. The original forum  (2001-2005)
2. The Proboards Forum (2005-2012)
3. The current forum (2012-Present)

The original forum
Lost due to domain expiration

The original forum was owned by someone who was a hoax believer initially, but he eventually came around. He lost interest in the forum and gave admin privileges to another user (not me). At this point I was not the owner or a moderator, I was just an occasional user.

In 2004 (I don't remember the exact date) there was a technical issue that lead to some posts being lost. I don't remember the exact nature of the problem, but I offered to help fix it and was given admin privileges. The problem was fixed, and the forum was running smoothly again. It is not the reason we had to start the second forum.

In early 2005 the apollohoax.com domain expired. The person who took over the forum from the original owner was not given the information he needed to renew the domain, so that meant the Apollo Hoax forum was basically dead in the water.

The ProBoards Forum
Abandoned due to the unreliable (untrustworthy) Proboards service, but still accessible as a read-only archive

When the domain expired I more or less took it upon myself to create a "temporary" forum that ended up becoming more long-term than I expected. I registered the apollohoax.net domain to replace the .com domain because I was worried the name would be taken by a site that promoted the hoax theory. Eventually I was also able to register the .com after it became available again.

We used the Proboards forum for almost seven years with few (if any) technical problems. I only chose to leave Proboards because I couldn't trust them after they deleted hundreds of posts based on a request from a troll.

So just to be clear, the original forum did have some technical issues that lead to some posts being lost, but it was only because the domain name expired that we had to move to Proboards. And that was a separate issue from the troll who deleted his posts in the second forum. If he had not done that then there is a good chance we would still be using the Proboards forum today.

The current forum

And here we are... it's hard to believe it has been 14 years since it all began.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2015, 06:22:45 PM »
I don't understand the inner workings of the forum, but deleting posts shouldn't make the forum collapse.  Don't all the posts reside in a database of sorts.  Deletion should affect those records that were deleted but not the whole Db.

I think you're getting two separate events mixed up, so I will try explaining the history of the forum again in a bit more detail.

There have been three separate Apollo Hoax forums, on three separate servers:

1. The original forum  (2001-2005)
2. The Proboards Forum (2005-2012)
3. The current forum (2012-Present)

The original forum
Lost due to domain expiration

The original forum was owned by someone who was a hoax believer initially, but he eventually came around. He lost interest in the forum and gave admin privileges to another user (not me). At this point I was not the owner or a moderator, I was just an occasional user.

In 2004 (I don't remember the exact date) there was a technical issue that lead to some posts being lost. I don't remember the exact nature of the problem, but I offered to help fix it and was given admin privileges. The problem was fixed, and the forum was running smoothly again. It is not the reason we had to start the second forum.

In early 2005 the apollohoax.com domain expired. The person who took over the forum from the original owner was not given the information he needed to renew the domain, so that meant the Apollo Hoax forum was basically dead in the water.

The ProBoards Forum
Abandoned due to the unreliable (untrustworthy) Proboards service, but still accessible as a read-only archive

When the domain expired I more or less took it upon myself to create a "temporary" forum that ended up becoming more long-term than I expected. I registered the apollohoax.net domain to replace the .com domain because I was worried the name would be taken by a site that promoted the hoax theory. Eventually I was also able to register the .com after it became available again.

We used the Proboards forum for almost seven years with few (if any) technical problems. I only chose to leave Proboards because I couldn't trust them after they deleted hundreds of posts based on a request from a troll.

So just to be clear, the original forum did have some technical issues that lead to some posts being lost, but it was only because the domain name expired that we had to move to Proboards. And that was a separate issue from the troll who deleted his posts in the second forum. If he had not done that then there is a good chance we would still be using the Proboards forum today.

The current forum

And here we are... it's hard to believe it has been 14 years since it all began.
You're correct I got it all wrong.  Thanks AND keep up the good work.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dr_Orpheus

• Venus
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2015, 07:56:29 AM »
Thanks for the link showing version 1.0 of the forum on wayback.   It might be nice to put that in a more prominent place for those wanting to see the earliest Apollohoax posts.

Edit-  Scratch the idea of a more prominent link.   The posts on wayback don't seem to readable.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 07:59:06 AM by Dr_Orpheus »

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2015, 01:07:29 PM »
Thanks for the link showing version 1.0 of the forum on wayback.   It might be nice to put that in a more prominent place for those wanting to see the earliest Apollohoax posts.

Edit-  Scratch the idea of a more prominent link.   The posts on wayback don't seem to readable.
Some of the old pages were captured.

Full List
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.apollohoax.com/forums/*

I wouldn't like to follow a thread that way though.

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #190 on: September 21, 2015, 03:13:16 PM »
All this computer talk...

;D
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2015, 09:36:52 PM »

Yeah, I was so happy when I found it, and then quickly disappointed when I discovered none of the links work.

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2015, 09:38:10 PM »
All this computer talk...

;D

That's how I feel when people talk about math. ;)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2015, 10:48:32 PM »

That's how I feel when people talk about math. ;)
But that's how the electronics/internet WORK. :)
Eugene Cernan

Offline Ishkabibble

• Earth
  • The Truth is Out There...
« Reply #194 on: September 21, 2015, 11:04:02 PM »
I don't believe it.

It works because I flip the switch on this box thingy on my desk, and it whirs and hums for a moment, and then I have the interwebz on the screen in front of me.

The rest of it is so much electronic spaghetti and wizardry. And things, and stuff.

:P
You don't "believe" that the lunar landings happened. You either understand the science or you don't.

If the lessons of history teach us any one thing, it is that no one learns the lessons that history teaches...