Author Topic: FAR SIDE OF THE MOON  (Read 148733 times)

Offline Tedward

• Mars
Re: FAR SIDE OF THE MOON
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2015, 12:43:09 AM »
Ah, did not think of that at the time because I did not know about it ;)

I suppose the retelling pun side it was a gas cooker.... I do not recall what fuel it was.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2015, 04:40:41 AM »
Then there was the woman complaining of getting Radio Two on the cooker.
Yes, as long as it's an AM broadcast (e.g on MF or LF) this can happen whenever you have a loose connection somewhere acting as an electrical nonlinearity (an imperfect diode).

Not quite the same thing, but when I built crystal sets as a kid I discovered that the metal finger stop on a dial phone provided a great signal. The whole telephone line became a longwire antenna.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2015, 04:46:35 AM »
As a young man I lived not all that for from the local TV transmitter (Emley Moor).

You could get a decent picture by sticking your finger in the TV aerial socket.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2015, 04:57:08 AM »
Right.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2015, 08:48:45 AM »
Not quite the same, but there's a video or two going around showing local youth listening to AM radio broadcasts from a tower by jamming a dry weed against the metal.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2015, 08:54:54 AM »
Not quite the same, but there's a video or two going around showing local youth listening to AM radio broadcasts from a tower by jamming a dry weed against the metal.
Instead of smoking it? :)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2015, 12:47:52 PM »
Maybe that's underground speak? "Like, yo we've been jamming the dry weed against the metal, man."

Come to think of it, _we_ could use that term to describe how it is when an HB refuses to listen to reason. As in, "We have been jamming the dry weed against the metal all day long and the guy still insists on a "C" rock."
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:50:03 PM by dwight »
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #187 on: October 15, 2015, 01:41:44 AM »
Then there was the woman complaining of getting Radio Two on the cooker.
Yes, as long as it's an AM broadcast (e.g on MF or LF) this can happen whenever you have a loose connection somewhere acting as an electrical nonlinearity (an imperfect diode).

Not quite the same thing, but when I built crystal sets as a kid I discovered that the metal finger stop on a dial phone provided a great signal. The whole telephone line became a longwire antenna.

At the time I would not have know about this, a 17 year old apprentice. I know now you can but never connected it with that event so to speak.

But I never built a crystal set today. Now, I wonder where I can get the required bits today?

I have spent time "tuning" a length of solder jammed in the rear of a TV for a good signal.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #188 on: October 15, 2015, 04:50:19 AM »
But I never built a crystal set today. Now, I wonder where I can get the required bits today?
Oh, they're still available. You'd just use a more modern diode.

Of course, with only talk radio to listen to, why bother?

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2015, 01:39:11 AM »
It's the doing for the hell of it. Something I should have done yonks ago. Never really did a lot of hobbying but followed a few kits and tried a few things, making my own transformers and audio filters etc. but it all sort of petered out as kit became non raidable for parts. Scrap items that is, the usual suspects still sell stuff but when times were tight the scrap bin was a haven. Nowadays kit is returned, cannot even repair that anymore so stopped fiddling many years ago. Bag it up, send it off. Cannot even remember the resistor colour code and would have to dig a book out for the legs on a transistor. Been a while.

Call it whimsy.

:)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2015, 01:51:22 AM »
I went big with my first DIY electronics and built a synthesiser.. I can't for the life of me remember the magazine, but it must have been around 1978/9

Cannot even remember the resistor colour code and would have to dig a book out for the legs on a transistor. Been a while.

Call it whimsy.
 :)

Black Brown Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Green White. Now I have a little ditty that acts as an memory aid for that but it is so NON PC I couldn't repeat it on here. The first three bands are the number 4th band is the multiplier you can sometimes have 5th the tolerance followed by the 6th temp co-efficient.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:03:04 AM by Bryanpoprobson »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2015, 06:14:34 AM »
I went big with my first DIY electronics and built a synthesiser.. I can't for the life of me remember the magazine, but it must have been around 1978/9

Electronics Today International? UK?

I wanted to build it, but I was missing too many issues, and never got the kit for etching my own circuit boards .....

Offline Luckmeister

• Venus
« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »

In the 70's, when TTL timing chips first became available, I designed and built a digital tachometer for my car. Just got it finished and was considering marketing it when the same circuit showed up in an electronics mag so I bagged that idea. Anyway, I much prefer using an analog dial tach.

Then I built a Heathkit 2-meter ham mobile rig and, just after finishing it, they recalled it (couldn't pass FCC specs) and paid me a little for my trouble.
"There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. … There is much you have to learn. … Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2015, 01:11:07 PM »

Electronics Today International? UK?

I wanted to build it, but I was missing too many issues, and never got the kit for etching my own circuit boards .....

I forgot about that, I worked in an ARC (Area Repair Centre) and persuaded my boss to buy a professional etching system, with UV templates and proper chemical baths.. :) 
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline HeadLikeARock

• Venus
« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2015, 02:21:10 PM »
Perhaps Father Ted will be able to help us. The magic start at the 30 second mark. But do watch the whole clip!

;D