Author Topic: Apollo XIII-inconsistences  (Read 160418 times)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: Apollo XIII-inconsistences
« Reply #210 on: October 06, 2015, 07:36:13 PM »
Mongolian next. That'll look interesting.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2015, 08:15:56 PM »
Tarkus , tá tú ag dul chun leanúint ar aghaidh chun spout bruscar gan bhunús nó go bhfuil tú ag dul chun retract duit argóintí .

ETA: And if you think I am fluent in Gaelic, you are mistaken. Google translator has its uses for those that are mono-lingual. I just thought Gaelic would be an interesting slant.

I'm not fluent, but I knew the first two words!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #212 on: October 06, 2015, 10:36:18 PM »
wa' laH ngu' 'ar nuvpu' jIyay'.
Ah, but have you read Hamlet in the Original Klingon?

And the operas are great too.

MELOOOTA!
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #213 on: October 07, 2015, 02:12:43 AM »
wa' laH ngu' 'ar nuvpu' jIyay'.
Ah, but have you read Hamlet in the Original Klingon?

And the operas are great too.

MELOOOTA!

That's gonna irritate the fat Ferengi...

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #214 on: October 07, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »
It ain't over 'till The Nagus sings...

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #215 on: October 07, 2015, 08:35:09 AM »
Shakespeare is expensive in Klingon..  :o

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hamlet-Prince-Denmark-Restored-Klingon/dp/0964434512

Must be something to do with P&P from Kronos. :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:36:44 AM by Bryanpoprobson »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #216 on: October 07, 2015, 09:30:51 AM »
Tarkus , tá tú ag dul chun leanúint ar aghaidh chun spout bruscar gan bhunús nó go bhfuil tú ag dul chun retract duit argóintí .

ETA: And if you think I am fluent in Gaelic, you are mistaken. Google translator has its uses for those that are mono-lingual. I just thought Gaelic would be an interesting slant.

Technically, since you are addressing Tarkus by name, you need to add a vocative particle, making it "A Tarkus" (similar to English "O Tarkus"). If Tarkus were a Gaelic name, you'd also have to lenit the first letter of the name, and "slenderize" the end, turning it into "A Tharkuis!" and throwing the pronunciation completely out of the ring. However, this is generally not done if the name isn't Gaelic to begin with. This is probably because non-Gaelic people would never answer when called by a Gaelic speaker. "Who is this Vary person you're calling for? My name's Mary!"

This is about all I can remember from my two years of Gaelic night classes.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:34:36 AM by twik »

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #217 on: October 07, 2015, 11:14:33 AM »

Technically, since you are addressing Tarkus by name, you need to add a vocative particle, making it "A Tarkus" (similar to English "O Tarkus"). If Tarkus were a Gaelic name, you'd also have to lenit the first letter of the name, and "slenderize" the end, turning it into "A Tharkuis!" and throwing the pronunciation completely out of the ring. However, this is generally not done if the name isn't Gaelic to begin with. This is probably because non-Gaelic people would never answer when called by a Gaelic speaker. "Who is this Vary person you're calling for? My name's Mary!"

This is about all I can remember from my two years of Gaelic night classes.

There are times like this that make me happy to be an English speaker.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #218 on: October 07, 2015, 11:19:22 AM »

Try explaining to a new English speaker why the following words are all pronounced differently:

rough
bough
through
trough
dough
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #219 on: October 07, 2015, 11:24:12 AM »

Try explaining to a new English speaker why the following words are all pronounced differently:

rough
bough
through
trough
dough
Many "rules" that other languages may/may not have.  And then you add in regional slang even confuses the issue more.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2015, 12:49:48 PM »

rough
bough
through
trough
dough

Americans get a lot of their English pronunciations wrong, being in telecommunications the one that really winds me up is router. It is the word route with an r (root-er) at the end, the way Americans say it, (row-ter) it's an instrument for channelling grooves in wood.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:51:31 PM by Bryanpoprobson »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2015, 12:59:39 PM »

rough
bough
through
trough
dough

Americans get a lot of their English pronunciations wrong, being in telecommunications the one that really winds me up is router. It is the word route with an r (root-er) at the end, the way Americans say it, (row-ter) it's an instrument for channelling grooves in wood.
That's 'cuz we speak 'Mericun, not English! ;)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2015, 01:15:32 PM »

I saw a very interesting programme by pretentious knob erudite thinker Melvyn Bragg on the English language.

He suggested (not sure if it was his idea or other scholars) that actually American English is closer to the original British English as brought over by the Pilgrim Fathers with their spelling of such words as 'color',' labor' and 'center',  the use of 'z' instead of 's', 'Fall' instead of Autumn and so on. During and after the French revolution, high society on London became infatuated with their new found French aristocrat asylum seekers and adopted more French ways of spelling.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2015, 01:19:03 PM »

I saw a very interesting programme by pretentious knob erudite thinker Melvyn Bragg on the English language.

He suggested (not sure if it was his idea or other scholars) that actually American English is closer to the original British English as brought over by the Pilgrim Fathers with their spelling of such words as 'color',' labor' and 'center',  the use of 'z' instead of 's', 'Fall' instead of Autumn and so on. During and after the French revolution, high society on London became infatuated with their new found French aristocrat asylum seekers and adopted more French ways of spelling.
Do older books and manuscripts of the same era(1600-1700) indicate this or is it a pipe dream?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #224 on: October 07, 2015, 01:43:57 PM »

Melvyn Bragg and the other one Alan Wicker, what Sundays used to be all about in the UK.. :)