Author Topic: Apollo XIII-inconsistences  (Read 160444 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Apollo XIII-inconsistences
« Reply #255 on: October 08, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »
The functions of the CSM deemed most critical (e.g., ELS, pyros) were not implemented using digital controls but in fact used the older relay logic.  As in physical relays.  This was because despite what we would consider today to be problems with that technology, it was -- at that time -- well understood and, when properly engineered, considered very reliable.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #256 on: October 08, 2015, 01:41:35 PM »
The functions of the CSM deemed most critical (e.g., ELS, pyros) were not implemented using digital controls but in fact used the older relay logic.  As in physical relays.  This was because despite what we would consider today to be problems with that technology, it was -- at that time -- well understood and, when properly engineered, considered very reliable.
Only errant solder bits causing problems, if my memory is correct.

EDIT: Changed adjective
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:43:26 PM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #257 on: October 08, 2015, 01:52:41 PM »
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...

Note to self - try not to laugh while drinking hot liquids.  Ow.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #258 on: October 08, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »
There is absolutely no doubt that the Apollo samples are from the Moon but I wish people would not keep repeating the false claim you can tell they formed in a low gravity environment.

We went round that buoy on another thread, and given your arguments I have dropped that one. That reflects this board - we are prepared to drop arguments. The CTs generally do not, and when they do they tend to do so ungracefully - Jarrah's 1.5 x 0.5 = 1 case being the most obvious.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #259 on: October 08, 2015, 02:09:50 PM »
Note to self - try not to laugh while drinking hot liquids.  Ow.

I did that at work the other day during a break, with the break room full of colleagues. Most embarrassing.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #260 on: October 08, 2015, 02:11:14 PM »
There is absolutely no doubt that the Apollo samples are from the Moon but I wish people would not keep repeating the false claim you can tell they formed in a low gravity environment.

We went round that buoy on another thread, and given your arguments I have dropped that one. That reflects this board - we are prepared to drop arguments. The CTs generally do not, and when they do they tend to do so ungracefully - Jarrah's 1.5 x 0.5 = 1 case being the most obvious.
Disregarding the fact it came from the Blunder, I don't remember this one.  What was he attempting to prove?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #261 on: October 08, 2015, 02:37:38 PM »
That the video of astronauts walking on the moon were slowed down.
i.e. The videos were at half speed so to get them up to a rate to show that they were shot at normal speed, the blunder said that you had to increase the speed by 50%..  :o
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 02:41:49 PM by Bryanpoprobson »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #262 on: October 08, 2015, 02:53:40 PM »

During and after the French revolution, high society on London became infatuated with their new found French aristocrat asylum seekers and adopted more French ways of spelling.
Zing! Accusing the Brits of being corrupted by the French! That's gotta hurt.

Happened in 1066.

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #263 on: October 08, 2015, 03:48:41 PM »
Okay then, what about the scientists from around the world who have examined Apollo rocks? They universally agree that the Apollo rocks show signs of having formed in a low-gravity vacuum, and of being exposed to varying extents to the solar wind. These are features which simply can not be created on Earth. As far as the scientists are concerned, the Apollo rocks are rocks genuinely from the Moon. What do thousands of scientists from around the world have to gain by agreeing to go along with a NASA fake?

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/howdoweknow.htm
Lunar samples show evidence of formation in an extremely dry environment with essentially no free oxygen and little gravity.

That is a top geologist, is he mistaken?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #264 on: October 08, 2015, 04:07:04 PM »

Lunar samples show evidence of formation in an extremely dry environment with essentially no free oxygen and little gravity.

it is clear that he is on the NASA payroll for disinformation. ::)  Quick send this to the Blunder so that he may use it for his next series on moon rocks.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #265 on: October 08, 2015, 04:11:58 PM »
I'm no geologist (or a selenologist), but it makes sense to me we should be able to see some signs. Crystallization is connected to convection (hence the experiments in free fall with virus and protein crystallization), and convection is affected by gravity. Mind you, I may be talking out of my ass, so feel free to call me on my ignorance. This is more or less me piecing together the fragmented bits of what I know and hoping to come up with something plausible.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #266 on: October 08, 2015, 04:22:08 PM »
I'm no geologist (or a selenologist), but it makes sense to me we should be able to see some signs. Crystallization is connected to convection (hence the experiments in free fall with virus and protein crystallization), and convection is affected by gravity. Mind you, I may be talking out of my ass, so feel free to call me on my ignorance. This is more or less me piecing together the fragmented bits of what I know and hoping to come up with something plausible.
I'm not sure about the crystallization but the lunar volcanic glass beads are generally more spherical than their Earth cousins due to the low gravity cooling.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #267 on: October 08, 2015, 04:50:13 PM »
I'm sure that Dalhousie will jump in, but the initial debate stemmed from the premise that convection currents in the rocks show that the rocks were formed in low gravity. So people above are correct about the origin of debate. I understand that Dalhousie is well connected in the field of lunar geology, and assures us that we can dismiss this argument.

I defer to Dalhousie's knowledge and conversations with those that have more expertise in the area. In any case, there is plenty of evidence that supports the rocks being of lunar origin.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #268 on: October 08, 2015, 05:33:12 PM »
I'm not sure about the crystallization but the lunar volcanic glass beads are generally more spherical than their Earth cousins due to the low gravity cooling.

Do you have a source for this?  I can think of many factors that will effect sphericity, such as flight time, viscosity, droplet size, cooling rate.  Gravity will at most be one factor for some of these (e.g. flight time).

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #269 on: October 08, 2015, 05:35:52 PM »
Okay then, what about the scientists from around the world who have examined Apollo rocks? They universally agree that the Apollo rocks show signs of having formed in a low-gravity vacuum, and of being exposed to varying extents to the solar wind. These are features which simply can not be created on Earth. As far as the scientists are concerned, the Apollo rocks are rocks genuinely from the Moon. What do thousands of scientists from around the world have to gain by agreeing to go along with a NASA fake?

He is correct but it is not evidence that it formed in a lower gravity environment. It is consistent with being from the Moon where there is essentially no oxygen and very little water (in most places).