Author Topic: Quora  (Read 17491 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Quora
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 09:34:01 PM »

^^^ This dude. ::)

I saw a few episodes of a show he use to be in, UFO Hunters, I think.  It was always the same thing.  They'd go out and investigate an alleged UFO incident, find absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support the story, and his final conclusion would be... "Since we found no evidence to disprove it, it's still possible it really happened."
How did I miss these gems?  Since you gave a synopsis, I'll not go and try to find any episodes, but I did look to find out who he was.  The article gave some reasons the show was canceled.
http://www.realufos.net/2010/11/bill-birnes-why-ufo-hunters-was-pulled.html
The Dulce episode, something to do with a cow fetus with a human shaped head anger the big wigs!!!  It does it for me.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 09:44:46 PM »
Didn't the 'alien in a jar' in Firefly, in-universe, turn out to be a cow foetus?

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 10:37:56 PM »
Ze ambassador for ze Centauri Republic iz most offended to be compared to zat, zat foolish human!
For one, ve are much snazzier dressers!

You have Londo Mollari's speech style spot on.

I have just been re-watching (and re-enjoying) Babylon 5 on "The Zone"; our version of a sci-fi/fantasy/horror channel. I have to say that considering it is mid-1990's vintage (OMG, has it really been 20 years?), the look, style and CGI have really stood the test of time a lot better than some of its contemporaries.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Drewid

• Venus
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 01:03:10 AM »

and another who is at least asking for math
http://www.quora.com/Did-the-Lunar-Module-of-Apollo-11-have-enough-technology-and-propelling-system-on-board-to-dock-with-the-Command-Module-in-lunar-orbit/answer/Drew-Northcott/comment/12496925?__snids__=1306226010&__nsrc__=4#comment12496925

Its the old argument from disbelief in action though; "The fuel storage units look remarkably human sized, and therefore it seems that it could barely push the lunar module up a few hundred meters". I can't understand, and won't make any effort to understand, therefore it must be fake.  Throwing maths at a person like this is useless because 1) they won't understand them; 2) they won't admit to their lack of understanding; 3)they are trying to make you do the hard work, which they invariably will hand-wave away due to points 1 and 2.

The argument isn't for the benefit  of the person doing the argument though. Someone this far gone is way beyond help.  It's for the later viewers who are slightly higher up the bell curve who might otherwise get suckered in.

Offline Drewid

• Venus
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 03:13:41 AM »
Ze ambassador for ze Centauri Republic iz most offended to be compared to zat, zat foolish human!
For one, ve are much snazzier dressers!

You have Londo Mollari's speech style spot on.

I have just been re-watching (and re-enjoying) Babylon 5 on "The Zone"; our version of a sci-fi/fantasy/horror channel. I have to say that considering it is mid-1990's vintage (OMG, has it really been 20 years?), the look, style and CGI have really stood the test of time a lot better than some of its contemporaries.

The storylines were pretty strong as well, (apart from the slightly silly ending).

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 03:25:19 AM »
I tried watching it for the first time a couple years ago, and . . . eh, something about the acting felt off for a lot of the characters, especially the human ones, and specially especially Commander Sinclair. So dry, it was like eating unbuttered toast. Without anything to drink.
I got a soft spot for Garibaldi for his love of Golden Age Cartoons, and I really liked Londo, his speech patterns and general hammyness were quite a treat, but it was not enough to keep me going. I think I quit around when Psychic Chekov showed up.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guruâ„¢
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 11:09:02 AM »
I tried watching it for the first time a couple years ago, and . . . eh, something about the acting felt off for a lot of the characters, especially the human ones, and specially especially Commander Sinclair. So dry, it was like eating unbuttered toast. Without anything to drink.

You're not alone in that opinion.  The Sinclair character was replaced after the first season, though he did return for a couple guest appearances later in the series.  The new station commander was Captain Sheridan played by Bruce Boxleitner.  The acting improved a lot in the second season.  The third and fourth seasons I thought were by far the best.  I usually tell people they just have to endure the first season to get the background story, then they can let things build after that.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 11:41:20 AM »
Didn't the 'alien in a jar' in Firefly, in-universe, turn out to be a cow foetus?

It did indeed!
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 12:02:05 PM »

It did indeed!

Seems likely the show had a direction to cow fetuses.  Since I didn't watch any, were there at least one pertaining to cow mutilations/surgery(LOL)?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 03:07:01 PM »
I can't bring myself to watch Ancient Aliens.  It only takes about 10 minutes before I want to start throwing stuff at the TV.

Well, you should try watching "America Unearthed". In it, the host Scott Wolter (a self proclaimed "Indiana Jones" type character) travels the length and breadth of America, unearthing supposed legends, myths, stories and artefacts and reaching extraordinary, and far-fetched conclusions from the  flimsiest of evidence, and sometimes, from no evidence at all.

When I first saw the programme a few episodes into Season 1, I made the mistake of taking it seriously, but when I couldn't see how he came to some if his conclusions I decided to do a bit of on-line research, and came across a guy called Jason Colovito, a debunker of junk science and revisionist history. It didn't take long for me to realise that I had been fooled, and realised that "America Unearthed" was just junk archaeology of the worst kind.

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/america-unearthed.html

I have now become a regular reader of Jason's blog. He is to Junk Archaeology what Jay is to Apollo Hoax Belief, and Phil Plait is to Junk Science; a voice of reason in an ocean of stupid!

ETA: handy hint

If you see either of these two people interviewed in a TV programme you are watching, you can pretty much stop right there..

If you see this person being interviewed, then proceed with caution and a large pinch of salt.
Why is it when there is so much actual wonderment in the world of archaeology, people have to hoke it up?

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 03:15:14 PM »
Racism. Seriously. Light pink people found browner people did these amazing things, and, rather then change their world view that brown people couldn't do neat stuff too, nope, must be aliens/demons/what have you.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:19:19 PM by raven »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 03:22:09 PM »
Seems likely the show had a direction to cow fetuses.  Since I didn't watch any, were there at least one pertaining to cow mutilations/surgery(LOL)?

Never came up.  Can't see how it would have.  That one "alien" was about the only mention of them, and it was a freak show attraction.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 03:25:01 PM »

Never came up.  Can't see how it would have.  That one "alien" was about the only mention of them, and it was a freak show attraction.
Ok, I guess that would have been to earthy for a UFO show.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 05:21:32 PM »

We must be talking about different shows.  Firefly is fiction.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »

We must be talking about different shows.  Firefly is fiction.
I thought it was about UFO, my bad.
Eugene Cernan