Author Topic: FAR SIDE OF THE MOON  (Read 148720 times)

Offline Paul

• Venus
Re: FAR SIDE OF THE MOON
« Reply #255 on: October 23, 2015, 06:06:58 AM »
No, I do not speak of "a moon" but "Moon" Jupiter's moons are very small relative to the planet, they are not a comparable case.

So the "tarkus law of relative sizes" only applies to a single object, The Moon - no other moon or object allowed?? Why would it only apply in one instance? That's simply ridiculous!!  :'(

Look tarkus, we know how big the Moon is, we know how big the Earth is, and we know how far the Moon is from the Earth, and we know how far the DISCOVR satellite is from both.  Do you agree with that statement?

Here's the figures, do you agree?
Earth 7918 miles diameter
Moon 2158 miles diameter
Moon to Earth distance approx 250,000 miles
DISCOVR to Earth distance approx 1,000,000 miles

Now let's pick a random angular size calculator off the internet and calculate apparent sizes:
http://sizecalc.com/#distance=750000miles&physical-size=2158miles&perceived-size-units=degrees
http://sizecalc.com/#distance=1000000miles&physical-size=7918miles&perceived-size-units=degrees

Feel free to put your own figures into the calculator if you disagree with any of my figures.

The results are Moon 0.16 degrees, Earth 0.45 degrees.  The angular size of the Earth from 1,000,000 miles away is 0.45 degrees, which surely you can see is much bigger than the Moon at 0.16 degrees.

And the debate about whether it is possible or not the focal trick is endless,

What "focal trick"?  Photography is irrelevant to relative size discussion, but your continued fascination with 'focal tricks' shows that are choosing to remain wilfully ignorant on the basics of photography. Google "basic photography concepts" or similar and allow yourself to be educated. Look for the words focal length, focus, and exposure to get you started.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=basic+photography+concepts

in any case the question is what would a probe such manipulation ... getting smaller and darker to the Moon:

NASA used the same horrible image of Google Moon for animation.

See calculations above and then measure size in pixels of the Moon and Earth from NASA animation. A clue for you - they match...

You mention how dark the Moon is on the NASA animation, there are two aspects to this:
1) the DISCOVR satellite's mission is to photograph Earth weather and so the EXPOSURE (yes that word again) is optimised for that purpose. So when the Moon occasionally photo-bombs the image it will be underexposed,
2) but as explained to you before, the average albedo of the Moon is around 0.12, the Earth's albedo is around 0.2 to 0.3, so the Earth is actually physically brighter than the Moon.  Do you really believe that an object dominated by regolith and lava plains, is brighter than an object with water and clouds??

Here's a photo I took last night of the Moon, didn't exactly burn a hole in the camera sensor with it's brightness did it? (and by the way - no stars....  ;))

Offline Paul

• Venus
« Reply #256 on: October 23, 2015, 07:31:43 AM »
This is good fun, a camera simulator:
http://camerasim.com/apps/original-camerasim/web/

Can adjust focal length and distance to subject (thus showing the relationship between relative object sizes and distances).

Switch it manual mode, and can adjust the exposure components (shutter speed, aperture and ISO).

tarkus - a good way for you to learn how a DSLR camera works without having to buy one.
Try this - set to Manual, then keep changing one setting (e.g. shutter speed) step by step to see what effect it has on the image.

Offline Paul

• Venus
« Reply #257 on: October 23, 2015, 09:56:21 AM »
Wow, this looks like a great resource - daily updates now on the DSCOVR website!

http://epic.gsfc.nasa.gov/

For each image, it even gives Sun/Earth/Vehicle angle and actual distances. Great for working out fields of view and apparent sizes. And the SEV angle of around 11 degrees in July shows why there was no eclipse on the NASA Moon animation.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:01:56 AM by Paul »

Offline tarkus

• Venus
« Reply #258 on: October 23, 2015, 01:43:08 PM »
No, I do not speak of "a moon" but "Moon" Jupiter's moons are very small relative to the planet, they are not a comparable case.

So the "tarkus law of relative sizes" only applies to a single object, The Moon - no other moon or object allowed?? Why would it only apply in one instance? That's simply ridiculous!!  :'(

Look tarkus, we know how big the Moon is, we know how big the Earth is, and we know how far the Moon is from the Earth, and we know how far the DISCOVR satellite is from both.  Do you agree with that statement?

Here's the figures, do you agree?
Earth 7918 miles diameter
Moon 2158 miles diameter
Moon to Earth distance approx 250,000 miles
DISCOVR to Earth distance approx 1,000,000 miles

Now let's pick a random angular size calculator off the internet and calculate apparent sizes:
http://sizecalc.com/#distance=750000miles&physical-size=2158miles&perceived-size-units=degrees
http://sizecalc.com/#distance=1000000miles&physical-size=7918miles&perceived-size-units=degrees

Feel free to put your own figures into the calculator if you disagree with any of my figures.

The results are Moon 0.16 degrees, Earth 0.45 degrees.  The angular size of the Earth from 1,000,000 miles away is 0.45 degrees, which surely you can see is much bigger than the Moon at 0.16 degrees.

And the debate about whether it is possible or not the focal trick is endless,

What "focal trick"?  Photography is irrelevant to relative size discussion, but your continued fascination with 'focal tricks' shows that are choosing to remain wilfully ignorant on the basics of photography. Google "basic photography concepts" or similar and allow yourself to be educated. Look for the words focal length, focus, and exposure to get you started.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=basic+photography+concepts

in any case the question is what would a probe such manipulation ... getting smaller and darker to the Moon:

NASA used the same horrible image of Google Moon for animation.

See calculations above and then measure size in pixels of the Moon and Earth from NASA animation. A clue for you - they match...

You mention how dark the Moon is on the NASA animation, there are two aspects to this:
1) the DISCOVR satellite's mission is to photograph Earth weather and so the EXPOSURE (yes that word again) is optimised for that purpose. So when the Moon occasionally photo-bombs the image it will be underexposed,
2) but as explained to you before, the average albedo of the Moon is around 0.12, the Earth's albedo is around 0.2 to 0.3, so the Earth is actually physically brighter than the Moon.  Do you really believe that an object dominated by regolith and lava plains, is brighter than an object with water and clouds??

Here's a photo I took last night of the Moon, didn't exactly burn a hole in the camera sensor with it's brightness did it? (and by the way - no stars....  ;))

You in your fantasy assumes that a spacecraft is in orbit photo lab ... do you really believe in all that NASA delivered him to entertain? perhaps you have traveled within the probe a photographer ... hmm ... yeah, that should be, but sometimes the photographer appears to have been drunk and not having the right focus, as the case of the New Horizons ... fuzzy, always fuzzy ...

Offline tarkus

• Venus
« Reply #259 on: October 23, 2015, 01:47:43 PM »
Never picked up a camera, have you?
Did you have sex ever?
Now answer this: WHY WAS DAY IN THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF APOLLO 16 moon landing?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #260 on: October 23, 2015, 02:00:41 PM »
You in your fantasy assumes that a spacecraft is in orbit photo lab ... do you really believe in all that NASA delivered him to entertain? perhaps you have traveled within the probe a photographer ... hmm ... yeah, that should be, but sometimes the photographer appears to have been drunk and not having the right focus, as the case of the New Horizons ... fuzzy, always fuzzy ...

What sort of incoherent babble is this?  If you can't understand the demonstrations that show you your errors, ask politely for clarification.  But simply posturing your ongoing ignorance of photography as if it revealed some sort of legitimate controversy is baffling.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2015, 02:05:48 PM »
Did you have sex ever?

What prompted this blatantly personal attack?  The questions you're being asked are legitimate.  You clearly don't know how cameras work at even the basic level, and you seem to believe your level of ignorance is common or apropos.  You're being shown how to acquire a basic knowledge of photography in the hopes that you can see for yourself how your misconceptions have led you to faulty expectations.  When you reject those invitations in favor of hurling insults, you reduce the chances that anyone will think you have any actual claims.

Because the Apollo missions' landing sites were generally at local lunar morning, meaning the entire lit hemisphere extended westward from the site.  For sites near the center of the near side, this lit portion would include portions of the far side.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #262 on: October 23, 2015, 02:09:56 PM »
Did you have sex ever?

Why? Do you need to know what to expect? I consider it unlikely you'll need the info.

I ALREADY GAVE YOU THE ANSWER.

Read the replies you are given.

Offline Paul

• Venus
« Reply #263 on: October 23, 2015, 02:12:31 PM »
tarkus - do you agree or disagree with my calculations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #264 on: October 23, 2015, 02:36:02 PM »
Here's a neat video by Scott Manley (if you play or watch videos about Kerbal Space Program, he's a great guy for that) about the DISCOVR images. Worth checking out.

Offline Cat Not Included

• Venus
« Reply #265 on: October 23, 2015, 02:36:34 PM »
Just wanted to thank you for mentioning that angular size calculator. I had some stray questions regarding angular size where I had done the math "by hand" and wanted to double check it, and had no idea there were handy little tools out there for exactly that!
The quote "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" very clearly predates personal computers.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #266 on: October 23, 2015, 03:56:53 PM »

Tarkus, answer the damn questions that have been put to you, especially those dealing with actual numbers and calculations. Otherwise I will have to assume that one of two things is true: 1: you don't understand them and are too arrogant to admit it, or 2: you do understand them and know that if you were actually honest you'd have to admit to being wrong about something, which you are also too arrogant to do.

How big would Earth appear to be from 800,000 km? Simple question, and the tools you need to answer it are right here in the thread. Get on with it.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #267 on: October 23, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »
Did you have sex ever?

So the answer's no, eh? Didn't think so. From your posts, it's obvious that you don't even know what photography is.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #268 on: October 23, 2015, 03:58:56 PM »
Did you have sex ever?

Now you have moved from wrong to childish. Pathetic to watch someone who can't answer simple questions resort to such immature attacks on the people. Answer the questions you have been asked before you demand answers from others.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #269 on: October 23, 2015, 04:22:09 PM »
Just wanted to thank you for mentioning that angular size calculator. I had some stray questions regarding angular size where I had done the math "by hand" and wanted to double check it, and had no idea there were handy little tools out there for exactly that!
Here is a link to a video concerning the calculation
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan